Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-19-16, 01:07 AM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Bow tie down

Does anyone use an extra bow hold down strap besides the winch strap? I am looking for something for extra security when towing. Or do you use another method? I now have a Tracker Pro Team 175 and would hate to have something happen if the winch or strap would fail.
Old 07-19-16, 06:12 AM   #2
bassboogieman

YES. The boats I have owned all had a safety strap or chain. From my first 16' alum to my 21' Triton. Winch straps can break, I know a guy I worked with that had his 24' bay boat come off the trailer in a highway intersection when the winch strap snapped and he had forgotten to hook up his safety chain. The lighter alum boats usually have a nylon strap, heavier boats utilize a chain. Cheap insurance against your winch strap letting go.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-19-16 at 09:27 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-16, 03:42 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Agreed, it's cheap insurance for an almost non-existent problem.
How often do you punch the accelerator while towing your boat? If you inspect the winch strap regularly, it's not going to be a failure point in your tow package.

More importantly is to have the tie down straps on the back of the boat/trailer. It's is much more likely you'll have to slam on the brakes while driving down the road. There are many more instances of boat ending up in the back of vehicles because they weren't tied down aft. That winch stand will not keep a boat from crashing forward in the case of a sudden stop.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-16, 11:01 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Gotta agree with that, too. My Nitro came with a second strap that hooks in the eye as well as on the winch but I never used it, Rear tiedowns are mandatory, though.
Old 07-24-16, 02:50 PM   #5
bassinbob

Reb mine also has the double hook. I have it hooked to the trailer. Maybe because of being a newbie. Just a tad bit worried maybe because of spending a lot of money vrs. the 800 I spent on my 14 ft tin years ago. Have the rear tie downs.
Old 07-25-16, 11:57 AM   #6
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
... almost non-existent problem.
I have to back step on this for a moment. I was just reminded of an incident one of my friends had a few years back. Nothing really with the "towing" aspect, but the "ramp experience" aspect.
He was in the habit ... if he took someone fishing with him, he'd have them back the trailer down. He'd power load his "Intimidator" series Ranger bass boat ... then sit in it while they pulled him out.

One of his guests wasn't so sure, and stopped then went, half way up the ramp. The boat slid off the trailer and then scraped it's way down the ramp. It cost him $2500.00 to get it repaired ... and he tried to get the guest to help with the costs.

I don't hook that extra strap to the bow, but I DO make sure I have the winch hooked before I drive up the ramp.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.