Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-07, 12:28 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Swimming Jigs

After watching Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World with KVD, I am wanting to try a swimming jig. What jigs do you guys reccommend for this? Does it need a lip like a Chatterbait? What season/period do you use it?

Thanks,
-LL-
Old 11-23-07, 10:41 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Those are couple of swim jigs. The second, the Booyah Sim'n Jog has a flat arrowhead shaped head. Exactly how to swim jigs, I am not sure. But I AM sure someone will be able to tell you how
Old 11-23-07, 03:19 PM   #3
pig n jig

What is the purpose of swimming a jig ? I would rather think that you would catch more fish using a different lure if it takes swimming a jig to catch them. I truely beleive the swim jig was invented, because they have ran out of ideas and they needed to put something new out on the market so you and I can buy them up. P N J

P.S. I am not always correct .
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 08:25 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

most guys i see swimming a jig around weed beds in the spring, summer, and fall if that answers your question about the time of year. but i am with pnj, i think that if they would hit a swimming jig, then a guy could catch them on a spinnerbait, crankbait, or flipping whatever bait you want. if you want to learn a new technique that is great, but i would rather learn one that lets me catch fish that won't be caught by other techniques that i already use. just my opinion though, good luck with it and you may prove me wrong (it happens to me a lot).
Old 11-24-07, 01:41 PM   #5
Mac10

A tournament contender, Craig Monsour came up with the idea and won several tournaments with the technique using his own jigs. Something new at the time and can be very effective. You may want to google swimming jigs and or/ Craig Monsour. I hope that's the correct spelling.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-07, 05:20 PM   #6
JB

i can remember getting yelled at by veterans when I'd move a jig to fast or swim it, and probably the guy that perfected it found out by accident like we all have done that the fish that day wanted a moving jig/skirt.
hence the birth of the chatterbait and swim jigs revolution. Both methods new to me a few years ago but this fall yielded many fish.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-07, 08:00 PM   #7
Mac10

Correction on the fellow's name, it's not Craig. Sorry, but it's Tom Monsoor. Just read an article and he's been making his own jigs for over 20 years....imitating most things that crawl or swim. Sorry for the misinformation. Mac
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.