Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-07, 06:37 PM   #1
Walter
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Looking for the calm lake to retire on

We are looking for a lake somewhere between Memphis and Nashville. Within 50 miles or so. We want to semi retire to a quiet fishing lake that has Bass crappie Blue gill ect. We have seen Kentucky lake very nice but it sure is a busy lake. We are from southern California and want to get away from the millions of people. Want to visit sometime in April or May 08 for vacation. Any suggestions out there. Our hopes are to move there in two years. Purchase 20 or so acres and semi retire. We purchase homes and small resorts and refubish them and sell them quickly so we will need to be close to a medium town just not live in one. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-07, 06:44 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Actually if you can afford lake front property, Ky. Lakes huge coves are bigger than alot of lakes, and can offer less traffic than the main lake.
Percy Priest or Dale Hollow lake in tenn may be right up your alley, esp priest.
My relatives live there, nice new homes, and hardly any major boat traffic, and pretty good fishing.
Dale hollow or any lake in Tenn is good fishing.
If it were me, and I've fished many of the lakes in ky and tenn, I'd pick ky lake in a heartbeat. I'd go to big bear cove near benton ky and build there.
One side of the lake has houses, the other side is all natural.

property link for ky lake
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 02:12 AM   #3
Walter
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks JB

Thank you JB.
Actually Benton was our 1st choice on Kentucky Lake. It was close to Murray and Paduka (spelling). Thats for the other lakes I will research them.
Old 12-30-07, 12:18 PM   #4
JB

yw,

I've been going to benton since about 1991 with my bass club, its justa hick town, but it leads to the lake and big bear creak. Big bear creek alone is bigger than alot of bodies of water up here.
You'll notice that most of the older homes represent a suppressed economy,
but get closer to the lake and the houses get pretty nice. Someone from your area will notice a huge dif in the cost of living in remote kentucky or tenn, compared to what you are used to
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-07, 03:58 PM   #5
WTL

Hmm, the geography might be a little difficult. Kentucky lake or Pickwick near the dam are THE lakes between memphis and nashvegas. You can find quieter sections. Maybe check out the tennessee river near Pittsburg landing (where the battle of shiloh took place). That area is cuntrey though. Might be what you are looking for, if you can pick up the dialect. Also check out Waterloo Alabama on pickwick lake. Its very good fishing and a little isolated so there are less people. Savanah Tennessee and Florence Alabama would be the two closest cities out there. Also Corinth Mississippi.

But you might ought to look into Tims Ford and Woods Reservoir just the same. They are near WInchester Tennessee. Thats more straight south of Nashville. Or if you go at a more northernly direction from Memphis there is Reelfoot lake.
Old 01-01-08, 04:32 PM   #6
Walter
BassFishin.Com Member

hey thanks you guys are sure full of knowledge here. I better get to doing my research. I have alot to concider. I want to visit one of these in may 08.
thanks again.
Old 01-22-08, 08:31 PM   #7
bamabassman

wish you were looking at guntersville lake. we have a lot with 200 ft. on the water. it is just a lot now, you have to put in a septic tank and you can't have nothing older than a 2005 or nwer double wide or build a house. but if your interested. we have it at $225'000.00. right on the river.build your peir and boat house the way you want. we were gonna build, but family sickness has made us change our plans. we also have a small bluff home for sale as well. it is listed with retreat realty. if you're interested give me a call and i'll set you up with the agent. and explain the reasons we have to sell if you want to know. it ain't gonna stop me from fishing now...we will be living between guntersville and weiss lake. so i will have my pick of places.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 08:19 PM   #8
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i live about 30 minutes from nashville and i dont know what these guys are talking about(not much boat traffic). it has gotten rediculous in the past few years on all the lakes around here. the place with the least traffic i know of is right by my house on the cumberland river in Ashland City. Pretty small town outside Nashville. im sure you could find some 20 acre lots somewhere around here on the water.
Old 01-26-08, 07:21 PM   #9
basskickerz_cuz
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to basskickerz_cuz Send a message via Yahoo to basskickerz_cuz

I would have to agree with Basskicker on the subject of the lakes being a lil traffiky lately. I would suggest something a lil quieter on the Tennessee River, the name is Cuba Landing Marina. Last time I went down there, there were a few semi large places on which to build on for sell. + the land surrounding it is TWRA protected so it is nice and clean. It is located about 50 miles north of Pickwik Dam. Very close to New Johnsonville.
Old 02-10-08, 02:15 PM   #10
Walter
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks all - Kemtucky lake it is around Blood River the 3rd week of April can't wait. Wife and I just relaxing and fishing and maybe see the grand ole opry. Now just got to research a good cabim area.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.