Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-08, 10:34 PM   #1
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Need help for fishing presentation for kids!

At the state park I work at I was asked to do a presentation for our free camping weekend in Iowa. So of course I choose fish and fishing! The audience level is open to anyone, but I expect mostly kids and young adults. Since this is my first presentation to the public I'm kinda stuck on ideas. As of now I plan to do: live fish identification, conservation of fish and fish, tools and equipment, and to end the presentation by having them take part in fishing along the lake.
For the conservation of fish and fishing I'm planning on talking about handling fish, removing/cuting hooks that are deep in the mouth, why we have length and bags limits, pinching barbs down or using barbless hooks (I do when fishing for bluegill), and just basic care for of litter, water quality and fish in general. Is there anything I'm missing here, or you guys and gals think is important that I should talk/teach about?? Im really stuck on ideas and I'm giving the presentation this saturday!!
Thanks and good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 10:59 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like you have it all well in hand. I'd just be sure to have plenty of adult volunteers to help the little ones when it comes time to start fishing. They can be a handfull. Good luck!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 11:46 PM   #3
Rebbasser

FF, that is a great thing you are doing. If catch and release is included in fish conservation you look good to go.
Old 04-28-08, 07:05 PM   #4
bamabassman

buddy, i think you are dead on with your outline!! i like the plan alot. go all out and you'll do fantastic. wish i could be there to hear it. just stay calm and you'll do fine. kepp notes in front of you while you speaking and you won't go wrong. and i agree with keithdog and rebbasser as well.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 07:24 PM   #5
fishin' fool

Thanks guys, all of that is great to hear! I think I will have someone help me when it comes time to go fishing. Baiting hooks and taking bluegill off might be a big chore with a bunch of kids. I plan on making and outline so it can keep me on track if I need it. I talked to the fisheries biologist at the park and he was going to let me use some of his fish, but I want a wide variety of fish, some kids/adults may not know or seen before. So I have a task to do some seineing, that should be a good after noon of work!! But I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again!!
Old 04-28-08, 09:30 PM   #6
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Give heed to the baitmonkey!

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 09:37 PM   #7
crankybait

I'm liking it. Props for doing this for the kids.
Old 04-28-08, 09:53 PM   #8
stevomac59

Maybe you can promote boating safety.... IDK. But what you are doing is great and well thought of.

Great Job.
Old 04-28-08, 10:32 PM   #9
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thumbs up

thanks fishin'fool,,thumbs up for all your hard work w/ the kids,looks like ya gotit covered there my friend,,good luck and have fun
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 11:13 PM   #10
3dkicker

Club I belong to does two kids derbies every year. One thing that is stressed is safety. This includes learning to swim or wearing a life vest on docks. Just in case the little ones don't know how to swim and fall in. Might be something to think about.....
Old 04-28-08, 11:30 PM   #11
fishin' fool

Boating and water saftey is a good idea! I'll remember that for another program!
Old 04-28-08, 11:35 PM   #12
fishin' fool

And for the fish identification, I'm trying to get fish they may not have ever seen. Like, gar, bowfin, drum, suckers, common carp, white amur, orage spotted sunfish (which I have in my fish aquarium), white bass... and then the basics; lm bass, bluegill, w and b crappie, any member of the catfish family, I want them to see and hopefully appreciate the uniqueness and importance of every fish. But some of these fish are hard to get right now because we have flooding over much of my part of the state.
Old 04-29-08, 04:36 PM   #13
brushhog

I agree with everyone, sounds great.... One thing you may want to consider is getting the kids involved in ever part of the demos you can, even if its just holding things or handing you things, they love being a part of the presentation.

Let us know how it goes....
Old 04-30-08, 06:50 PM   #14
flfireman

Only thing I see. If you are gonna be catching catfish make sure you inform the volunteers about catfish barbs. Sounds like a great plan and glad to see you doing it for the kids. Not sure how plentiful the fish are, may throw some food nuggets or bread in for a few days and get the fish congregating in the area you are using.
Old 05-03-08, 02:31 AM   #15
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
I agree with everyone, sounds great.... One thing you may want to consider is getting the kids involved in ever part of the demos you can, even if its just holding things or handing you things, they love being a part of the presentation.

Let us know how it goes....
I agree 100% Be sure to ask them questions. One of the best ways for kids to learn is when the teacher draws the answers out of them by posing questions.

Kudos and best of luck!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.