Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-08, 04:58 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Tried something new

Well, I was out fishing in my pond with a 7" powerworm in watermelon candy. I had already caught one, and missed quite a few. I was paying attention to something else. On the opposite shore I kept seeing fish hit the surface. I figured they were bluegill so I ran and grabbed my flyrod (which I'm not good at using by the way) I did not have a tippet, so I used some regular line. Didn't workt hat great, but I caught some of the small bass that were hitting the surface. (three actually, one was a bluegill)

Then I had a brilliant Idea. (Only happens once in a while.) I took my spinning rod (with 6lb fluoroclear) and tied a small topwater fly on. then about 3-3.5' up the line, I put a splitshot. I was fishing 3' or less of water, and after a little getting used to, I was throwing the fly out and letting it float to the top. It worked and a caught a couple more small ones (5-6" on most of them) Then, I started working it like a C-rig, draggin it across the bottom. I went on to catch another 11 fish (9 bass, 2 blugill.) The bass were from 5" to 12", which is a good on in my pond.

Overall I got 16 fish: 13 bass, 3 bluegill. I was fun to watch the little 5-6" bass clear the water grabbing bugs.

BB
Old 05-01-08, 05:11 PM   #2
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Now there is some real innovation. Nicely done!
Old 05-01-08, 05:25 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Thanks. I'm definately gonna use this when the bass are real picky.

BB
Old 05-01-08, 07:30 PM   #4
keithdog

Hmmmm, you have me thinking here. I've never heard of anyone using a fly on a carolina rig, but just maybe that would be another way to add a few bends to the rod.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-08, 09:10 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I actually tried that a couple years ago for panfish with those little poppers. I didn't get a nibble. I tried it during a very cold November, though. Good work!
Old 05-02-08, 01:01 AM   #6
bamabassman

great idea and it worled!! good thinking there. that is just the kind of thinking i like, weird stuff that actually works.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 10:21 PM   #7
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Did that exact thing a couple years back with the same results. I've also done good drop shotting flys, and using a popper fly on a cane pole (or a flippin stick, it's the same thing) right along shore.
Old 05-03-08, 10:05 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Well I went out again two days ago and caught a little bass and a catfish! The catfish in my pond will eat anything though so its not that much of a surprise to me. Then yesterday in the rain, I had a couple hits, then caught a bluegill about 6-7" long. Then I got another small bass (6") and then a nicer one (for my pond): he was about 12inches, but no belly, none of our bass have bellies. We're buying some minnnows to release into the pond to feed them and the perch this year.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.