Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-08, 09:57 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Reels for Deep Crankin'

What's a good relatively inexpensive reel that would be good for deep crankbaits? I'd like a slower retrieve (less than 6.0:1), and I need to be able to cast the crnkbaits a long way since I'll be using it from shore as well as from the boat. Right now I'm looking at an Abu C3, because It'lll hold lots of line and has the right gear ratio. How's the casting distance on the C3's?

Thanks,
BB
Old 04-23-08, 10:02 PM   #2
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Think about what you said....

Right now I'm looking at an Abu C3, because It'lll hold lots of line....

Why do you need more than 90 yards, tops? Even KVD or Ike have a time casting 80 yards. Why waste all that line when you're not going to need it?

I think Shimano makes a 5.2:1 Citica, but it's right-handed if I'm remember correctly. Too, I remember me and you are left-handed, correct?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:24 PM   #3
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Quantum Energy PT! They're super smooth and cast a mile.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 10:27 PM   #4
jooleyen

Oh, and they're only $150 - rebate($50) at baitnhook.net

So thats a total of $100 after the rebate.
Old 04-23-08, 10:41 PM   #5
Rebbasser

David Fritts cranking reel from BPS. 4.7:1 GR and makes cranking a DD-22 about as hard as cranking a Bandit 200.

I'm good for about 5 casts with one of those big bruisers on a high speed reel. I can throw a DD-22 all day with that David Fritts reel. Only about $80, so it won't break the bank.

Buzz, it ain't about the line. It's about the winching power. Like low gear on your truck is designed for power, not speed. Same with a cranking reel.
Old 04-23-08, 10:41 PM   #6
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Buzz don't even start with the line thing again... BB try lookin at the BPS David Fritts reel. They're really nice for crankin
Old 04-23-08, 11:30 PM   #7
fishin' fool
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have the earlier model Quantum Energy with 4:4:1 gear ratio. It is a good ratio for big cranks, and the reels is very smooth and casts cranks like a bullet! I had a heck of a time finding a reel with this low of gears. I found it on ebay though for 50$$. Not bad when it was origionally 120 or 150 new!!!!
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-08, 11:52 PM   #8
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Whoops, sorry Reb, I guess I posted the same time as you... BB I'm just backin up what Reb said about the Fritts reel
Old 04-24-08, 06:54 AM   #9
BigBassin144

I'd go and look, but I'm getting ready for school, so do the Fritts reels come in left-hand models? I'll check them out when I get home this afternoon (unless of course I go fishing )

Thanks again guys

BB
Old 04-24-08, 05:20 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
David Fritts cranking reel from BPS. 4.7:1 GR and makes cranking a DD-22 about as hard as cranking a Bandit 200.

I'm good for about 5 casts with one of those big bruisers on a high speed reel. I can throw a DD-22 all day with that David Fritts reel. Only about $80, so it won't break the bank.

Buzz, it ain't about the line. It's about the winching power. Like low gear on your truck is designed for power, not speed. Same with a cranking reel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin' fool View Post
I have the earlier model Quantum Energy with 4:4:1 gear ratio. It is a good ratio for big cranks, and the reels is very smooth and casts cranks like a bullet! I had a heck of a time finding a reel with this low of gears. I found it on ebay though for 50$$. Not bad when it was origionally 120 or 150 new!!!!
ahhh fool the good old 441 quatum gold reel..

bb the fritts reel does come in left models.i have 3 righty's but thats just me. the fritts reels are SMOOTH crankers.. casting distance is equally as good. it does take getting used to the open -old lews style- reel frame..

zooker
Old 04-24-08, 05:27 PM   #11
WTL

I had a 3.8.1 garcia I just sold on Ebay for $20. Wish I had put the reserve higher, or I would have rather you had it.
Old 04-24-08, 06:34 PM   #12
fishin' fool

Before I found the Quantum Energy on ebay I seriously thought about buying the David Fritts reel from BPS. For they money it would be a great purchase! Good fishin
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:33 PM   #13
BigBassin144

I looked on BPS website and Couldn't fine the Fritts reel in left handed. They had three different speeds and none specified left or right handed so I assumed theywere right handed. I might be wrong (although it doesn't happen often ) I was looking at the Quantum Classic MG. Anybody ever used this reel? how is it?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...TUM-QCMG.html#

BB
Old 04-24-08, 08:50 PM   #14
zooker

the quantum 1310 mag gear is a great reel 5.1 gears holds a ton of line. i have about 20 of them.. i prefure the old silver 1310 or the older 310 mag gears but the bronze 1310-newest version- works well also..i use them for cranking or carolina rigging..i'll be the guy that scruffs every one i see on ebay buy the way..

there is 3 in this picture.

zooker
Old 04-24-08, 08:58 PM   #15
bamabassman

zook, you REALLY do like the cranks, huh. cool.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 09:20 PM   #16
zooker

not so's you all would notice..

zooker
Old 04-25-08, 12:23 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post

i have been looking at this reel for a little while now. probably will be the next reel i buy for crankbaits.
Old 04-26-08, 10:01 AM   #18
Fish2win

The real work hoarse is the Ambassador 5000 or 5001 depending on the side you want the handle on. they come in different gear ratio's. I use a 5.0 to 1 but they also make as slow a 3.8 to1. Fish2win
Old 04-26-08, 12:09 PM   #19
zooker

used to fish2win i have one they no longer make the abu winch is what i was told..on a good note the 5000,5500 interchange alot of parts off the 3.8 winch.. in fact i have a 5500 housing the 3.8 gear-it barely fits- but it works fine..

zooker
Old 04-26-08, 01:39 PM   #20
Bob Smith

My FAVORITE crankning reel is the Lew's Model BB1 NG (basically the same thing as the David Fritz cranking reel, before they named it after him). There are other reels in my arsenal that do a decent job including my Shimano Curado (green reel) and a Pinnacle Pro series reel (10 ball bearings). Another reel that is pretty decent for cranking is my PFLueger, but I cannot remember the model number. I have only one Quantum and I am not too fond of it. I won the Quantum Accurist in a raffle and keep it for emergencies.
Old 04-27-08, 10:23 AM   #21
bassnman30

The C3 is a good reel for throwing crankbaits. It has a slow enough speed and is a good value. I have use a 4600C3 with good results.
Granted, a Lews bb1ng has a 4.1 retrieve and I use it as well, just a little more expensive.
Old 04-27-08, 09:20 PM   #22
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

Default David Fritts reels

I bought 2 David Fritts 4.7:1 and 1 KVD 5.1:1 For me the longer handle on the Fritts reels make alot of difference when throwing the big cranks like the DD-22 and the DT series crankbaits. I use the KVD with my 1/4 oz. Bandits. I am more than happy with my purchase of the David Fritts reels.
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 01:39 PM   #23
titanxt
BassFishin.Com Member

I just purchased a new rod and reel for crankbaits. I ended up with a 7' medium power/medium action Shimno Crucial crankbait rod and a Shimano Citica 200DPV in 5.0:1. I was going to buy another C3 (as I own several already), but tried the Citica. Best reel I own by a mile! It will launch 1/4 ounce crankbaits a mile and heavier baits go crazy far...
titanxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 02:05 PM   #24
jooleyen

I actually just received an Energy 5.5:1 yesterday and it's sooo super smooth and doesn't make a noise. It casts extremely far as well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.