Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-09, 10:23 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Crank bait combo?

Ok, so my crank bait box has not been touched for a long time, other than my shallow cranks. All of my other cranks that dive 10' or more don't see any action. I don't wanna spend a lot, no more than 90$ since I don't use them too often. This is what I've got in mind, a 2008 BPS extreme reel (5.2:1), and a Berkley lighting rod medium, or medium light action. I'll spool my reel up with 12lb mono, or FC, Sufix Elite for mono, or BPS FC. What do you guys think of my line up so far?

What do you guys think the best combo would be under $90?

Thanks,

Old 05-29-09, 10:49 AM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

With as little as you throw them, (at least based on your statement) I am not sure I would purchase a combo for the cranks. If you are looking to start throwing them more then of course it makes sense.
I am not saying that you have to spend a lot of money, but I do not like too many combos in that price range. I think that if you go cheap on the rod and reel, you will more than likely not like it and then will still not throw the cranks because of the rod and reel you chose.
Old 05-29-09, 10:56 AM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
With as little as you throw them, (at least based on your statement) I am not sure I would purchase a combo for the cranks. If you are looking to start throwing them more then of course it makes sense.
I am not saying that you have to spend a lot of money, but I do not like too many combos in that price range. I think that if you go cheap on the rod and reel, you will more than likely not like it and then will still not throw the cranks because of the rod and reel you chose.
Ya, I'm wanting to start throwing them more! Sorry I didn't make that clear!
Old 05-29-09, 01:43 PM   #4
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It always makes sense to me to buy new gear. (Not to my wife though) I'd try the Berkley Shock rod and the BP Extreme BC. I think that would be a pretty awesome combo for the $$$. Go for it if you have the money (or no one telling you can't)
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 02:43 PM   #5
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I am not convinced that the lightning or shock rod would be a good choice for cranks. They have very fast actions. I would look for something that has good flex in the upper half to third of the blank. I would go to the tackle shop and flex them. I have a couple wal-mart shimanos that are good.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 07:30 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
I am not convinced that the lightning or shock rod would be a good choice for cranks. They have very fast actions. I would look for something that has good flex in the upper half to third of the blank. I would go to the tackle shop and flex them. I have a couple wal-mart shimanos that are good.
Do you wanna slow, or fast action rod?

And dose a slow tip, have more flex than a fast tip?
Old 05-29-09, 08:17 PM   #7
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

With a slow tip, more of the rod bends when you put pressure on it. I think 2/3 of the rod on a typical slow tip bends, whereas maybe only the top 1/3 will bend on a fast tip.
You want a slower action rod for pretty much anything with treble hooks, to avoid tearing them loose from the fish's mouth.

This may clear it up for you:

Special thanks to Rebbasser for posting this first.
Old 05-29-09, 09:57 PM   #8
Rebbasser

I wouldn't go with a ML for deeper cranks. They create quite a bit of drag and IMO a ML doesn't have the backbone needed. I throw big bruisers like a DD-22 on a MH action due to the drag they create. Good choice on the gear ratio and line size. Go with a 7' M action and you should be good to go.
Old 05-30-09, 06:48 PM   #9
zooker

i would get a fritts rod and a 4.7 reel...

now i have not revieled it yet but the guy you want to listen too about deep cranking is "286pro" - uncle ed - put him in shallow water and he is at a loss-short fish evacuator-..but if ya see him fishing put odds he is sitting in 20+ feet throwing some custom baits on 8 FOOT glass rods with a painfully slow reel.. and he is good at it too..

zooker
Old 05-30-09, 07:30 PM   #10
keithdog

In the May issue of Bass Master Magazine, there is an article regarding the best rods available for under $70.00. It is the results of a survey of fishing tackle experts across the country. Here is their findings. In the $50.00 - $70.00 range, the hands down unanimous #1 pick was the Shimano Clarus Series of rods. It's a very well made rod and comes with a lifetime replacement warrenty. Two other rods in that catagory getting high praise were the Diawa Procyon rods and the St Croix Triumph rods. Also good rods but not with a life time warrenty.
In the under $50.00 dollar range, Shimano also came out as top pick with their Convergence series of rods. It also has a lifetime warrenty. Also getting the nod in this catagory was the Berkley Lightening rods in both the Amp and Shock series. Hope this helps.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 07:57 PM   #11
JB

I'd get that Fritz reel and the american rodsmith for a few extra buck, for about a lil over a hundred you could put the fritz crankin reel on a bps crankin stick. I know woody, me, kory and zooker and many more own that reel and its cast a honkin mile and smooooooth
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-09, 09:09 PM   #12
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'd get that Fritz reel and the american rodsmith for a few extra buck, for about a lil over a hundred you could put the fritz crankin reel on a bps crankin stick. I know woody, me, kory and zooker and many more own that reel and its cast a honkin mile and smooooooth
You can count me in the Fritts reel owner category. Won't throw a DD-22 or Series 5 on anything else.
Old 05-30-09, 09:21 PM   #13
Bassboss

hmmmmm, this is hard! $90 reel already, I'll check out good 'ol ebay, think this will be a ebay bought combo! So if I can I find a Fritts reel for $50, I'll has $40 for a rod. Maybe I'll check for a Fritts rod there for $40 there too!

Thanks for the help fo far guys! Keep 'em coming!
Old 05-30-09, 09:57 PM   #14
keithdog

Ok JB, and Reb , you've really ticked me off now! I've been toying around with the idea of buying a David Fritts casting reel but have been trying to convince myself that what I have will do just fine. Well throw that out da winder cause I gotta have one now. Thanks a lot. At least the baitmonkey will be happy. Oh heck, I have to get two! Dangit any ways!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:13 PM   #15
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There is one rod I saw on bass pro. Do not know how good, but it is the browning silaflex fiberglass rod. I had a friend that had one and he loved for his cranks and a good price.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 07:59 PM   #16
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
In the May issue of Bass Master Magazine, there is an article regarding the best rods available for under $70.00. It is the results of a survey of fishing tackle experts across the country. Here is their findings. In the $50.00 - $70.00 range, the hands down unanimous #1 pick was the Shimano Clarus Series of rods. It's a very well made rod and comes with a lifetime replacement warrenty. Two other rods in that catagory getting high praise were the Diawa Procyon rods and the St Croix Triumph rods. Also good rods but not with a life time warrenty.
In the under $50.00 dollar range, Shimano also came out as top pick with their Convergence series of rods. It also has a lifetime warrenty. Also getting the nod in this catagory was the Berkley Lightening rods in both the Amp and Shock series. Hope this helps.
I really liked that article. Was really pleased when I read it too, since I already have a Daiwa Exceler, Gander's version of the Fenwick Eagle GT and plan on grabbing a St Croix Triumph in the near future

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.