Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-09, 01:21 PM   #1
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fluorocarbon showdown

With all the Fluoro line talk lately, I started reading up on it. I found that tackletour did a study and tested a bunch of different brands and compared them to Trilene XL mono. The results were interesting to me, some of the Fluoro had more stretch than the Trilene XL
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbontest.html
and the second round of testing
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewfluorocarbon2.html

I don't know if this has been posted before or not (I searched and didn't find anything) But I think this will help some people figure out what Fluoro to try out first. From this study, I think I'm going to buy some Bass Pro XPS Fluoro
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 01:44 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man...if this story doesn't expose the over-hype of fishing products, nothing will. It seems maybe Al Lindner was right. He said he uses Trilene XL for almost all of his fishing.
Old 08-07-09, 02:00 PM   #3
sac

That's the mono I use too, haven't had any complaints.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 07:57 PM   #4
WTL

Quote:
Stretch: Surprisingly, a biproduct of our tensile test was our ability to watch the stretch in each of our line samples before they broke. We stopped short of collecting data on this observation due to a number of questionable variables, but the one thing we can clearly state is, all the fluorocarbon lines we tested have either the same, or in some cases, more stretch than our baseline Trilene XL. We hope to address this at a later date, but for now, as far as we are concerned, the claim that fluorocarbon lines have virtually no stretch is absolutely invalid.
Its actually funny that people cited flourocarbon for low stretch. The first person to give me a school of flourocarbon, an old timer shaky head fisherman, explained to me that flouro has much more stretch than mono and that it acted as a buffer against shaking fishing breaking the small (4 and 6 lb) line sizes he used.

Personally, I think it takes a heck of a difference in line stretch - like that of mono versus braid - to feel a difference while fishing.
Old 08-08-09, 08:20 AM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Like i have said before about 90% of my set ups are spooled with fluorocarbon lines or a line like p-line fluoroclear , and in my opinion the line holds up extremely well . As towards the study shown above it looks like it was done a couple years ago and lines in general have made great improvements since then .

Jim
Old 08-08-09, 09:52 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Its actually funny that people cited flourocarbon for low stretch.
Have you noticed most fluorocarbons have stopped putting that on their packaging or descriptions on websites.

The more I think about it, the more I think people got FC's low elasticity mixed up with low stretch. While fluoro does indeed stretch, it (unlike mono) doesn't return to it's original state. (<<< Elasticity).

The thing that gets me, is FC manufacturers marketed FC's inproved sensitivity over mono as a result of low stretch. While this is the case with braids, fluoro is still more sensitive than mono. While I was trying to explain FC to someone a while ago, I went over this (because they believed it had low stretch), and they asked, "if it stretched the same as mono, why is it more sensitive. I didn't have an answer for him, but I assumed because it was denser than mono, it transmitted feel better. This make sense?

BB
Old 08-08-09, 12:01 PM   #7
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I didn't have an answer for him, but I assumed because it was denser than mono, it transmitted feel better. This make sense?

BB
Perfect explanation.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 01:53 PM   #8
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Have you noticed most fluorocarbons have stopped putting that on their packaging or descriptions on websites.

The more I think about it, the more I think people got FC's low elasticity mixed up with low stretch. While fluoro does indeed stretch, it (unlike mono) doesn't return to it's original state. (<<< Elasticity).

The thing that gets me, is FC manufacturers marketed FC's inproved sensitivity over mono as a result of low stretch. While this is the case with braids, fluoro is still more sensitive than mono. While I was trying to explain FC to someone a while ago, I went over this (because they believed it had low stretch), and they asked, "if it stretched the same as mono, why is it more sensitive. I didn't have an answer for him, but I assumed because it was denser than mono, it transmitted feel better. This make sense?

BB
A definite marketing ploy. The sad thing is the people took it as truth and propogated and perpertuated the myth. Call me a doubter, but I don't take things like that for at face value and didn't believe it as gospel. When I found out it could stretch more than mono, some people thought I was an fc hater. Not true.

I think that although it can stretch more than mono, it possesses it ability to transmit feedback to the angler because of its density as you think. Both water and rock are denser than air and sound travels farther through those too materials. It sure could follow but I ain't got time to explore this any further.
Old 08-09-09, 11:00 AM   #9
Backwater Charlie

I use Berkley Trilene 100% Flourocarbon line for one of my spinning combo's which I use for sight fishing bass with white Senko's. It works very good! For mono, I use Trilene XL for my ligher lines, 8-10, and Stren for most of my heavier ones, 12-17. All three of the lines mentioned are very very good lines.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.