Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-10, 04:23 PM   #1
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Need help preparing Venison.....

When it comes to beef, chicken or fish, I concider myself a pretty fair cook, but I'm having trouble cooking venison and having it not turn out to be tough as shoe leather, so i'm hopin some of ya'll can give me a few pointers and or recipes on cookin this stuff. And not just the backstrap portions, but how do ya'll deal with the rest of the meat....The parts with all the tendons and stuff in it?

In my lastest attempt, I took some fresh backstrap and marinaded it for a day and a half in Worcestershire mixed with liquid smoke and Chipote spices, then pan fried in olive oil.....the flavor was "ok" but it was still way too tough to be enjoyable to eat.

I hear about soaking the meat in buttermilk, or vinegar, or wine, or even Dr Pepper overnite before trying to cook the stuff, but I've never had much success with any i've tried....Although I have to admit I've not tried the Dr Pepper marinade cause it just sounds too weird...lol.....So what do you guys do to prepare this stuff? I really don't want to mess up another batch of this good meat.
Old 11-30-10, 04:55 PM   #2
Abbeysdad

In my youth, I remember that my dad pan fried and simmered in sauterne wine. I recall it was quite tasty.

You might consider a Jaccard tenderizer (which also works well for tougher cuts of beef, buffalo, gater or snake).
Well, tougher cuts of beef steak anyway.

I recently saw an Alton Brown Good Eats and he marinated some Pork in Dr. Pepper which was interesting....and makes me wonder about seasoning and marinating something in Coke - I'm thinking you get just a hint of the sweet cola...
Old 11-30-10, 05:58 PM   #3
nobass

back strap i always grilled mine on charcaol i think frying any vension will make it tough. try a roasting bag and red wine on a neck roast. or any venison roast at about 300 degreers. till meat falls off bones. think you will have better luck that way venison is a lean meat and dose not like high heat like frying. on the back strap cut it thin and cook that way. do not do it more than medium done
Old 11-30-10, 06:40 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well i have always heard the if oyu were to "stew the neck with taters,maters, onions and such (like beef stew) it was off da hook. my mom used to cook it, but she forgot exactly HOW she did it. i came upon a little 4 pointer the other day, lady in front of me hit it. nothing inside of him was messed up, broke his neck. pa-in-law had it processed. mostly hamburgered. bro-in-laws took it (lisa and i don't really eat it). had the back straps cubed up. rest like i said, hamburgered. slwo cooked is about the best way i can tell ya to cook it. if oyu have it cubed, fry it like cube steak. soak it in buttermilk for a day first?
Old 11-30-10, 06:50 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I like venison steaks cooked in a crockpot like Swiss steak. Little onion, green pepper, tomatoes and green beans in the pot with the venison, and simmer that mix 6 - 8 hours. Steak is tender and tasty. You can add pototoes for a one pot meal. Damn you're making me hungry.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 10:22 PM   #6
bassinbob

Get a glass baking dish. Butter up the bottom and sides. Open a can of mushroom soup and spread some on the bottom of the dish. Take some 1/4 inch sliced round steaks (back leg of the deer) and layer them over the soup. Then make some bread stuffing with sliced onions and mushrooms and fine chopped celery. Put the stuffing in the dish over the steaks. Make the stuffing layer about 2 inches. Place another layer of steaks over the stuffing. Cover everything with more mushroom soup. Cover dish with a lid or foil and bake till done. You can also use the loin chops instead of the steaks.
Old 11-30-10, 11:34 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

You're making me hungry, people...stop. Especially you, Bob
Old 11-30-10, 11:48 PM   #8
Jrob78

I marinate overnight in soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, a hearty basil balsamic vinaigrette (a hearty Italian works too) and spices. Set your oven on the highest temp (broil) and cut back strap pieces about an inch thick, broil for 4 minutes on each side, not a second more. Great flavor, easy and super tender. This works with shoulder steaks as well.
Old 12-02-10, 12:42 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
When it comes to beef, chicken or fish, I concider myself a pretty fair cook, but I'm having trouble cooking venison and having it not turn out to be tough as shoe leather, so i'm hopin some of ya'll can give me a few pointers and or recipes on cookin this stuff. And not just the backstrap portions, but how do ya'll deal with the rest of the meat....The parts with all the tendons and stuff in it?

In my lastest attempt, I took some fresh backstrap and marinaded it for a day and a half in Worcestershire mixed with liquid smoke and Chipote spices, then pan fried in olive oil.....the flavor was "ok" but it was still way too tough to be enjoyable to eat.

I hear about soaking the meat in buttermilk, or vinegar, or wine, or even Dr Pepper overnite before trying to cook the stuff, but I've never had much success with any i've tried....Although I have to admit I've not tried the Dr Pepper marinade cause it just sounds too weird...lol.....So what do you guys do to prepare this stuff? I really don't want to mess up another batch of this good meat.
Blah, bad move with the olive oil IMO!

When ever we have any kinda loins, we just put some everglades seasoning on it (you'll probably have to buy it online), pepper, onion and garlic powder on it. Take a skillet heat it up on Md-HI heat. and fry it up with a just enough vegie oil so it don't stick. We usually have some onions with it too, cook them first in the same pan, then cook the venison, just add a little more oil!
Old 12-02-10, 05:49 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sammy, what's wrong with olive oil? That's all I use to sautee.

BB
Old 12-03-10, 09:52 PM   #11
66KingFisher

Yeah, I'm hooked on the Olive oil....I fry most everything with it anymore.

Well, I gots me another slab of venison thawing out in the fridge so I'm gonna try something different this time. I gots me an idea from a little mexican woman that I'm fixen ta try....I'll let ya know how it turns out.
Old 12-03-10, 10:16 PM   #12
bamabassman

wait a minute micheal............you gonna try a mexican woman? re-read what oyu wrote buddy, lol.
Old 12-03-10, 10:32 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
Yeah, I'm hooked on the Olive oil....I fry most everything with it anymore.

Well, I gots me another slab of venison thawing out in the fridge so I'm gonna try something different this time. I gots me an idea from a little mexican woman that I'm fixen ta try....I'll let ya know how it turns out.
I use olive oil for just about everything but deep frying, I prefer peanut oil for that. And I use Canola oil on the rare occasion that I bake something.

And have fun trying that little mexican woman!

BB
Old 12-04-10, 02:39 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Sammy, what's wrong with olive oil? That's all I use to sautee.

BB
Olive oil seems like it would nasty on venison to me. It's got it's place for sure though, that's a fact.
Old 12-04-10, 05:36 PM   #15
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i believe the key is soaking the meat. Fillet the meat the length and soak it in saltwater in the fridge for about 3 days. to me this is the KEY. The salt will draw all the blood out of the meat and when you do marinade it, it will draw in the marinade like a sponge. One thing I like to do is take the meat after its been soaked and get some lemon pepper marinade. Wrap the strips in aluminum foil and fill the foil with the lemon pepper. You can either bake it OR grill it. Another thing i like to do is to take a crock pot and make up several packets of brown gravy mix, add the venison and cook it on low for 24 hours. you will have to eat it with your fingers cause a fork will make it fall apart.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:39 PM   #16
66KingFisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imgoodatwhatido View Post
Another thing i like to do is to take a crock pot and make up several packets of brown gravy mix, add the venison and cook it on low for 24 hours. you will have to eat it with your fingers cause a fork will make it fall apart.
Ok, this sounds pretty yummy...I think I'll try something like this on the next batch. As for soaking the meat to remove the "game taste" as most folks recommend, I actually prefer that game taste and I don't wanna loose that for the most part. I just can't handle the meat turning out being to tough to chew.

Yep, I like my latino women....hehehe....But I also like their cookin.
Old 12-04-10, 08:59 PM   #17
Jrob78

I think overcooking meat, especially very lean meat, is the main thing that toughens it up.
Old 12-05-10, 03:16 AM   #18
66KingFisher

Ok....Tonites batch was a crowd pleaser....I was VERY happy with how it turned out. My little mexican mommacita's recipe came thru with flyin colors...lol. I'm callin it Venison Ala Ranchero.....Venison slow cooked with tomatos,onions, garlic, cilantro, chili, cumin, plus a few dashes of other spices to suit my tastebuds.....Cooked in a covered pot, on low heat for about an hour and half to two hours....Served with some tortillas and some refried beans.....Guys, I'm tellin ya....this stuff was the bomb. Even the daughter came in several hours later and said "What smells so good"...."Is there any left"?....lol....So, per my families request, I'll be makin this again.
Old 12-05-10, 09:37 AM   #19
bamabassman

that sounds like oyu got a hit micheal. i ain't too keen on mexican food though, too spicy for me. and ain't into chili. but lisa would probably love it.

now what about the mexican gal? lmbo!!!!
Old 12-05-10, 02:00 PM   #20
66KingFisher

John, I love food thats got a nice kick to it....not the kind that sets ya on fire and burns all the hide off yer tongue....Been there, done that...Not interested anymore...lol.

Not to mention, my family can't take hot spicy foods, so I gotta watch what I make.....But they do like spice, as long as its not the hot stuff.....This dish very was low level spicy and not hot at all....I use just enough chili powder to add some flavor but not enough to really taste it....same with some of the other stuff I tend to throw in my cookin....adds flavor without adding heat....I'd be willin to bet you'd like it.

Now, fer my little mexican gal....lol....She used to work at the mexican restaurant my wife does now. She's originally from somewhere in south america, but I can't recall where....she gets mad when I call her a mexican....lol Anyway, she held an exotic cooking class at our local art gallery and showed us a few meals she grew up with....I attended her class and took notes....lol....this was one of those modified slightly....lol.

For the record, I've found that most native mexican and/or south american meals are not hot or spicy...in fact most of what i've tried has actually been bland tasting...Good, but bland....the whole hot and spicy thing is a Tex-Mex creation I believe.
Old 12-05-10, 05:20 PM   #21
bamabassman

ok micheal...........i'll try it buddy. you talked me into it.
Old 12-11-10, 05:29 PM   #22
66KingFisher

Ok, I cooked another batch of venison last night.....I used a Crockpot slow cooked it all day in the Lipton onion soup method my wife uses when she cooks a pot roast.....Worked great....the meat was tender and just fell apart with a fork.....Mmmmm, mmmmm.
Old 12-11-10, 11:41 PM   #23
flfireman

I mostly use cubed venison or ground venison. Always cook venison med rare-med, a little bloody usually means it will be tender. 1st option- lightly flour, pan sear w/ olive oil, drop in slow cooker w/ mushroom gravy, sweet onions and mushroom. Cook until tender. Serve w/ rice or egg noodles. 2nd- soak in marinade of choice(Dr Pepper actually is really good) and grill til med rare, will cook slightly after pulling from grill. If it's ground venison- chili, sloppy joe or mix w/ ground turkey and it produces a great meatloaf, also have made stroganoff using sliced venison.
Old 12-15-10, 12:22 AM   #24
TN_Bassin

One word... Fajitas.
Old 12-15-10, 08:57 AM   #25
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you find it too tough it could be due to not letting it hang long enough. When I used to butcher my own I had to do it within about 12-18 hours of the kill and the meat could be a little tough. When I started using a butcher, the butcher would let it hang for upwards of 2 or 3 days. The meat was extreemly tender. Take the rump roast, put it in a slow cooker with some red wine, potatos, onions, carrots, celery, and a beef bulion cube, a couple cups of water and let it cook all day. There is no way that will be tough. You can substitue your favorite dark beer for the wine if you would rather. Acids in beer, wine and milk will help take away game flavor if that bothers you.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.