Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-10-08, 05:11 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Winter Fishing

Ok, so all the ice on my pond is gone now so no ice fishing. Temps have been in the high 20's at night and high forties during the day. So what would you guys suggest I try.

Here's a refresher of the conditions of my pond. Deepest part is 22ft. All the sides expect a maybe 25-30 ft stretch drop off fairly quick. The other part, (the beach) doesn't drop off nearly as fast. The bottom is, except for the beach area which is pretty much ground up rocks. Water clarity is maybe 3ft. Although I would not say the water is muddy. Just got clear.

Thanks for the help!

BB
Old 01-11-08, 12:56 PM   #2
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up

So there is no real structure to speak of (humps, points, etc)? Are there any rock piles, brushpiles or anything like that in the deeper part of the pond? Is the dam basically a riprap type dam or just an earthen dam?

I would start by dragging a C-rigged "french Fry" in a watermelon (variety) color, then try a craw-worm on the same rig. I would even try a tube, super fluke or grub on the c-rig. Go from there to working either drop shot and shakey head presentations in the deeper areas too. It's just me but I would stick with the watermelon colors (although I almost always spike my worms with chartreuse). If you can get on the pond, try a slab spoon like a Mann's Man-O-Lure in chrome or gold, or Hopkin's Shorty spoon in the hammered finish chrome. I would think the 1/2 oz models would be sufficient in the pond. Just raise it and lower it very slowly, you won't need to impart a lot of action to it.
Finally I would try the deep diving crankbaits in the deeper end. My first choice would be a DD-22 given the depth you mentioned. Chartreuse/Blueback is the first thing I would throw, then work my way through the White, Chartreuse, Pearl and Shad colors.
Old 01-11-08, 02:23 PM   #3
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Suspending Jerkbait... nuff said!
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 03:16 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Gotta think like the fish! They are in their most lathargic state and have stored all their energy to make it through the winter so they don't move much.

The good news, they usually go deep, stick together and will..on occasion eat..but not very often and not every day..it's hit or miss..the most important thing to keep in mind...fish extremely slooowww..over-exaggerate....even 20-30 seconds between reels...Good Luck!
Old 01-11-08, 04:30 PM   #5
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had great luck before the ice took over!
Gambler little Otter [pepper grass]. c-rigged basicailly just dragged
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 07:56 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
What BA said.
Old 01-11-08, 09:54 PM   #7
BigBassin144

[quote=Bob Smith;173527]So there is no real structure to speak of (humps, points, etc)? Are there any rock piles, brushpiles or anything like that in the deeper part of the pond? Is the dam basically a riprap type dam or just an earthen dam?
quote]

No structure, no humps, no points, no rocks, no brush piles, no dam, no riprap. Just a regular old pond. (dug it with spoons dontcha know!) Ok, so we didn't dig it with spoons, but that would have been a h3ll of a project.
I'ss try to get a picture, I won't be tomarrow though. My dad and I are going to the Chicago Musky show. Leaving here around 5:00am. should be there by 10:00 our time, 9:00 theirs.

Since the guy we really want to see is there at 5:30pm, we probably con't be home until around midnight. I'll see if I can get a pic on Sunday.
Thanks for the advice too guys!

BB
Old 01-11-08, 09:57 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Oh, forgot to mention. The depth, 22ft (approx.), is in the middle. it slopes down on all sides and is the deepest around the middle. We also have a wooden raft floating towards the middle (depending on wind) this kind of restricts where I can fish because of the anchor and rope holding it in place. We've lost a lot of lures to that already.

BB
Old 01-12-08, 06:46 PM   #9
keithdog

Check out my recent post in the fishing reports section BigBassin. May it will help ya out, from one Hoosier to another.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 07:05 PM   #10
zooker

a big crank deep diving crank..throw it out reel it down then do a carolina rig type pump and wind...

zooker
Old 01-12-08, 08:25 PM   #11
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

Some of you people dont need to respond if you dont know what you're talking about.....jerkbait...nuf said...thats stupid. Give some explanation and give a few options cause no one bait will catch em everywhere everyday.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 08:30 PM   #12
adamchasejones
BassFishin.Com Member

Jasonfish had the best response so far but still I dont think you need 20-30secs between reels. I was fishing today and water temp was 44 deg. and we were getting slammed on crankbaits. Probably your best bet is to find what cover you have and fish the edges with a senko or jigntrailer.
adamchasejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 09:20 PM   #13
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAddict View Post
What he said. Although the coldest water I got to fish this year before the ice was 36, that was the ticket. I never tried it but if it is deep then maybe one of those deep diving Husky Jerks.
Surprisingly enough I had good cold water luck this year with a wacky rigged 4" Senko and a tiny split shot about 1 foot up th line to get it to go deeper faster.

It will be painful to fish as slow as you need to. On a jerkbait crank it down then wait 30-60 seconds between twitches. On the Senko throw it where you want then let it fall to the bottom and wait....wait some more....then some more....then twitch it....then wait....if nothing bring it in and try again. At least this type of fishing gives you plenty of time to get your hands in your gloves to warm up!
I wish I could go out, but bass are out of season in Michigan.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 08:15 AM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchasejones View Post
Some of you people dont need to respond if you dont know what you're talking about.....jerkbait...nuf said...thats stupid. Give some explanation and give a few options cause no one bait will catch em everywhere everyday.

calm down son.. them two DO know what they are talking about..

in the winter a slow moving bait that stops will readily work. be it a jerkbait,fluke,senko,or a crank bait..basicly between those four baits you will catch fish if one aint working one of the other three will..it is about that simple really..

nuff said <-i am zooker this is MY tag line..

zooker
Old 01-13-08, 09:40 AM   #15
JB

its way to cold for a jerkbait. the water temp in my pond behind the house is 34 (ohio), I'd throw a live minnow if ya want fish, and go deep(on a jig).
The jerkbait bite wont hit the great lakes area until the waters about upper40's and just perfect if the water is 52-59. That wont happen up here till late april.
In this kind of cold (mid jan) you have to throw something right in front of the suspended fish, they arent going to turn around n hit a jerk bait, their to lethargic. pig n jig or live bait is all we throw in the winter, we've all tried the jerkbait an others in hopes they will get a bite, this bitter cold slows them down a LOT.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-08, 10:17 AM   #16
keithdog

The live minnow idea JB is a good suggestion. When the water is bitterly cold, the basses metabolism is going to be slowed to the point they won't chase a bait any lengh. I took three bass yesterday on a chatterbait fished slow in knee deep water. But it had to brush right up against the flooded brush to get a hit. They wouldn't come out of that brush at all to take the bait. Slugish is the word to remember. And a live minnow is going to provide the kind of meal they will go for.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 06:03 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

jb, i don't think it can ever get too cold for a jerkbait. the colder the water the longer the pause between jerks. in the dead of winter here on table rock, the best pattern going on year in and year out is a suspending rogue. however in recent years the pointer has come on strong the key is the pause. when the water is down around mid to low 30's guys will let it set sometimes a minute before the move it again. painfully slow, especially when the air temps are bitter cold. big bassin, i would go with a suspending jerkbait and a heavy jig worked slow. if you get a string of a few warm days in a row, i would look to a spinnerbait or lipless crankbait.
Old 01-16-08, 07:15 PM   #18
JB

i usually have one tied on all during the year, i'll have to try it after ice out, thanks!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 07:20 PM   #19
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I agree with the those who recommended the jerkbait. I've even worked a jerkbait rapidly and had plenty of success. Just goes to show that there is nothing definite. (that know of)
And I mainly chimed in on this thread because you people need to stop saying "nuff said"... that is Zooker's line!
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-08, 09:34 PM   #20
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Maybe try something like a Norman DD-22 Suspend. Crank it down hard, then give it a few rapid twitches. Could be the key for those deep-down, sometimes lethargic winter bass!

-Lunk-
Old 01-16-08, 09:55 PM   #21
pig n jig

Swedish pimple, or something simular.Nuff said.LMAO...P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 10:01 AM   #22
BigBassin144

Hey, everyone, thanks for all the advice. I haven't been on in a while (busy with school and stuff). Thanks for all the good advice. I was going to try a couple of those things out but when I awoke this morning, there was snow on the pond, and that means in sitting on top of ice. We are suposed to get an 'arctic blast' this weekend, but who really knows. Supposed to be a high of like 10 on Sunday. That'll be good for ice fishing, if it keeps up.

At a tackle shop around here, a guy told me he had some luck ice fishing with what he called a 'vertical dropshot'. He said he sets it up the same as a regular one and fishes it though the ice. Sounds pretty cool. I'd like to try it out with a small bait like the Tiny Fluke or whichever one is only like 2-1/2 inches.

Thanks again everyone!

BB
Old 01-19-08, 10:59 PM   #23
basskicker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

you should try some hair jigs when ice fishing or when the water is cold. it will always produce some bites during the winter.
Old 01-20-08, 10:00 AM   #24
BigBassin144

Don't think we've ever tried hair jigs... Have to give 'em a try.

BB
Old 01-20-08, 01:36 PM   #25
Bob Smith

Bigbassin144, has the water on your pond started freezing again?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.