Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-08, 04:47 PM   #1
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default How to boat in the fog.

I know some of you guys go out early morning, so here are some tips if you encounter fog patches. It might just save your life!

Actions to take in fog...

If you see a fog bank approaching or fog starting to form be sure to fix your position by any and all means necessary, including electronically or by bearings. If possible, anchor and wait out the fog in an area which is too shallow to allow large ships in. Don't forget to ring your bell for 5 seconds every minute while at anchor. Post as many lookouts as you have onboard and listen intently for the sounds of other vessels.
If you hear a vessel approaching, sound the optional one short - one prolonged - one short blast to notify them of your presence.

Operating in Reduced Visibility
Boating during the fall can bring special challenges for the mariner. In addition to the need to be aware of reduced temperatures which can lead to hypothermia, you also at times have to deal with reduced visibility.
Fog is the primary cause of reduced visibility, but haze, heavy rain and snow all present problems for mariners. Boating in these conditions presents two hazards, navigational errors and collisions.
Preventing both of these begins with reducing your speed. The old saying, “Be able to stop in half the distance of visibility” doesn’t appear in the Navigation Rules, but it is very good advice; remember slower is better!
A sailboat with an auxiliary engine, if under sail in fog, should have her engine available for immediate use, but you’ll be better able to listen for fog signals and other helpful sounds if you leave the engine off until it’s needed.
Fog signals must be sounded, the time interval specified in the Navigation Rules is the minimum.
Vessel
Required Sound SignalPower-driven vessl making wayone prolonged blast every two minutesPower-driven vessel not making way (stopped)two prolonged blast every two minutes with a one second interval between themSailing Vessel, vessel not under command, vessel restricted in ability to maneuver, vessel constrained by draft, vessel engaged in fishing and a vessel towing or pushing another vessel.one prolonged blast followed by two short blasts every two minutesVary your interval so that there is no possibility of your signals being in step with another vessel’s, thereby preventing you from hearing them. Listening for another vessel’s fog signals is just as important as sounding your own. If you have crew aboard, post a lookout well forward and consider having another person aft if possible. The lookout should listen as well as look. Listen for other vessels, the sound of aids to navigation, breaking surf, and other helpful sounds. Lookouts are especially important if your helm station is inside. Switch bow and stern lookouts occasionally to provide some variety and increase alertness.
If your engines are noisy, periodically shift into idle, or even shut them down for a few minutes to listen for faint fog signals. The transmission of sound in foggy conditions is tricky, if you hear something, don’t jump to a quick conclusion about its direction and distance, listen some more.
If several craft are traveling together, it is advisable that they stay close in a column formation in which closely following vessels aren’t directly behind the leader so they can easily steer clear if the lead vessel stops suddenly. If the fog is so thick that it is hazardous for them to be within sight of each other, each vessel should tow a floating object such as an empty fuel container or a cushion well astern on a line of approximately 150 feet. Then, each vessel can keep its “station” in column by keeping that object in sight, rather than the craft ahead.
Old 01-03-08, 05:27 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've fished in several tourneys that they let us out way to early in fog. and I'd recommend everyone to stay off the water until it lifts, if you're in a boat and plan to travel.
On the river, fog is a way of life. Sometimes it lifts at sunrise, other times we've had to wait until 9:30 or later, if theres fog, overcast, and no sun.
We have always gotten lost running in fog. think you are going north, and end up going west type thing.
Plus you can run into anyone or anything.
I havent found the fishing any better in fog either LOL.
If you are on the bank, fogs no biggie at all. Even if you put in and hang around the ramp n fish, and not running, its ok.
Most will run n gun tho if no bites by the ramp area..
If you've never gone on a weekend trip and experienced fog and think you have to fish it, think again, wait till it lifts.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 06:36 PM   #3
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
If you've never gone on a weekend trip and experienced fog and think you have to fish it, think again, wait till it lifts.
i fish before the crack of urgh!! most of the summer round here. i do my normal long runs even in the pitch dark. of course i run my lights-well duh!-there has been times on the return run i wondered "how did i miss all that crap" yep i have smacked stuff in the dark. the fog is a differant beast. not only is it MUCH MUCH tougher to see poeple fishing. but most boats are WHITE.. i have had several close calls running in the fog..

zooker
Old 01-03-08, 10:10 PM   #4
ROBZILLA

So by Jb opinion it would be good to have a compass on board to help with direction. I try to find shore and follow it about feet out so I don't hit any docks, and or docked boats. GPS if you have one would be a great asset to boaters as well.
Old 01-03-08, 10:41 PM   #5
zooker

gps would be better as you can see where your last directional track is. if you follow the track you should be ok.-just got to watch out for other boats..

zooker
Old 01-04-08, 08:02 AM   #6
JB

what kind of gps or compass is going to tell you theres a boat, or bouy out there rob
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 12:02 PM   #7
ROBZILLA

Well it's just an aid to help you off the water. and get you to shore so you can wait out the fog. If you are caught in it. I'm not suggesting anyone boat in the fog, I'm just saying how to get out of it when stuck in it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.