Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-08, 06:43 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Arrow I Don't Know...

Well Guys, as much as I want to change my hooks on my baits, which is only three, I don't really want to spend the $8.00 on 25 hooks. What will I need 25 hooks for? I'm only changing hooks on a 3/8 Ounce Rat-L-Trap, a Bagley Baitfish, and another bait I cannot remember at the time. On top of that, they all have different sized hooks, so I'll need about four different sizes of hook; that's about 100 hooks and $35.00. I guess you could always use 'em during the season, or next year...

But how do I find the sizes I need? Is there a chart or some size-o-meter?

-Lunk
Old 01-12-08, 08:35 PM   #2
Marty

The Bass Pro Shops catalog and site give the hook sizes for many crankbaits. So do some manufacturers' sites. You don't have to buy hooks in 25-packs, but you'll pay more per hook for the smaller packages.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 09:02 PM   #3
lunker-lander

Thnaks, Marty! I didn't know BPS had this. I'll definitely have to check it out. I know Cabela's has a book for sale that VMC makes. It has many different lures and the reccommended replacement trebles to use on a particular lure. Sounds cool, but I'll ask around before I buy that book...

Thanks,
-Lunk-
Old 01-12-08, 09:36 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You might try this. Every couple years I weed out lures that I simply just don't want in my tackle box anymore. It could be a lack of confidence in a bait, a broken lip, whatever. However the hooks may be just fine and dandy. You could simply transfer some hooks from one bait you don't really want anymore to one you do.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-08, 09:42 PM   #5
lunker-lander

Thanks for the tip Keith, but I've already did this! I guess it was due to the ragin' Cabin Fever...

-Lunk-
Old 01-13-08, 04:24 AM   #6
islandbass

Man, that is a rip off. A 25 pack of VMCs in my area is about $5. That's Highway robbery, LL.
Old 01-13-08, 12:42 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Well, I found a sizing chart at Jann's Net Craft for hooks, swivels, spinners, etc. Now I just have to match the sizes to the hooks, and order. I'm going with the Mustad Triple Grips for $5.49/25. Do you Guys reccommend a larger hook, or a Sure Set on the back?

-Lunk-
Old 01-13-08, 05:23 PM   #8
lunker-lander

OK Guys, I did get them. I ordered size 2, 4, 6, and 8 Mustad Triple Grip Black/Nickel hooks, along with one pack of Sure-Set Teaser size 4 Red hooks with mylar flash.

It's mainly all my Trap stlye baits that need repairs. Strange? Seems the companies "skimp-out" when attaching hooks to these baits...

-Lunk-
Old 01-13-08, 05:41 PM   #9
3dkicker

LL - one thing that you may want to consider is replacing the hooks for the baits that you use and not all of them. Most, some, or all of us have boxes of baits and only use a select few. I've had entire boxes go bad, ie rust, due to water or rain getting into the box. I learned from ole CP to only put hooks on the baits that I'm using, have a few extras, and leave the rest in the truck or at home. Saves you a lot of head ache having to replace the hooks on a box of crankbaits. Also makes it much easier to store and remove baits from the box.
For example I have a box of 30 bandit crankbaits but only 5 or so have hooks on them.
Old 01-13-08, 06:04 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Good point. But on my budget, I have a selection of colors, and use everything, so hooks are my "BFF"...

-Lunk-
Old 01-14-08, 02:02 AM   #11
islandbass

Holy smokes! Triple grips are awesome. Every once in a while, I'll dress my lures with them. But still, VMCs in my area are the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-14-08, 08:49 PM   #12
3dkicker

Now you really have me confused. You only have 3 crankbaits???? With all the bait monkey has been doing to you lately....
You should be able to get 4 or 6 hooks for $3 or less. Bring the baits, match them up, and shell out a couple bucks.
Old 01-14-08, 10:21 PM   #13
lunker-lander

No, I don't have three crankbaits; where'd you get that idea?

I did get the hooks - Mustad Triple Grips and one pack of Sure-Set Teasers...

-Lunk-
Old 01-15-08, 02:02 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker-lander View Post
Well Guys, as much as I want to change my hooks on my baits, which is only three,
That's where
Old 01-15-08, 12:36 PM   #15
lunker-lander

Oh, thanks Reb! I meant I only needed to change hooks on three baits.

-Lunk-
Old 01-20-08, 10:15 AM   #16
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

LL, you could find some hooks that they sell in increment less than 25. I know for a fact that Mustad sells some hooks in packs of 7.

Check out www.Jannsnetcraft.com

I'm sure They'll have smaller quantity hook packs. That's where get most of my hooks.

BB
Old 01-20-08, 02:55 PM   #17
lunker-lander

The Triple Grips I got come in packs of eleven. The Sure-Set Teasers come in two's...

-Lunk-
Old 01-20-08, 09:57 PM   #18
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You could buy Gammy hooks and get like 5 in a pack, but you still be paying about the same!

BB
Old 01-20-08, 10:09 PM   #19
lunker-lander

Eleven is about perfect for me, since I'll be intermittently changing them throughout the season. Anyway, I'll probably buy some more Traps this season, and you know they have hooks worth the point of a Q-Tip...

-Lunk-
Old 01-22-08, 07:58 PM   #20
lunker-lander

Well, I had some time to kill, (and I did get the hooks today), so I decided to change hooks on one of my Rat-L-Traps. Let me tell you the whole, long story...

After fighting the first split-ring with my bare hands and a steak knife(which I don't reccommend), I actually got the first, a #6 Mustad Triple Grip hook on the back end of my 1/4 oz. Trap. Again, straining my eyes to the point of lysis, I fought the front, #4 hook on to the Trap in a record fifteen minutes using my good 'ole steak knife and hands! Even as I type this, my eyes throb and strain just to read what I'm typing...

A TIP: When you go to remove a treble hook from a bait, make sure to put on the new hook in place of the old one before you remove the first hook completley.

Crack open the split-ring, start to remove the old hook, and then thread the new hook in the crotch of the split, split-ring. After you do this, continue to slide both hooks around the ring until the old hook slips off and the new one slips into place...

Or get a pair of split-ring pliers and quit wastin' your time and eyes!

-Lunk-
Old 01-22-08, 08:18 PM   #21
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
LL - one thing that you may want to consider is replacing the hooks for the baits that you use and not all of them. Most, some, or all of us have boxes of baits and only use a select few. I've had entire boxes go bad, ie rust, due to water or rain getting into the box. I learned from ole CP to only put hooks on the baits that I'm using, have a few extras, and leave the rest in the truck or at home. Saves you a lot of head ache having to replace the hooks on a box of crankbaits. Also makes it much easier to store and remove baits from the box.
For example I have a box of 30 bandit crankbaits but only 5 or so have hooks on them.

Now that is some "sound" advice!! I have never removed my hooks as you suggested (definitely something to think about!), but I do something most people don't do this time of year. I bring all of my crank baits boxes into my shop and make sure they are dry. During the prolonged rainy periods or freezing/warming/freezing condensation will form in the boxes when they are in the boat (I keep my boat under a custom fitted boat cover, outside). They will definitely rust over a short period of time if you don't do something. (I like the idea above).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.