Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-08, 11:42 PM   #1
achilles555
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1985 Charger Bass Boat Steering Problems - Need Advice!

Hello all. I recently purchased a 1985 Charger Bass Boat with a 1988 Mercury 150 Black Max XR4. It's kind-of a project boat, and I started getting everything ready for spring fishing season this weekend. Here's the problem: The steering was frozen solid. I spent the weekend trying to get it unstuck. I finally got it to move with a propane torch and some WD-40, but it is not going to turn easily. I then decided to replace the cables - and this is where I am now having problems and need advice. The steering system is an old Detmar (Detroit Marine Engineers) Rack and Pinion Dual Cable System. Detmar doesn't make cables any more, and it would probably be cheaper to put in a whole new system anyway. I have a few options to choose from. Can anyone help me with this? I could do one of the following:

1. Try to find some old Detmar cables to replace the old ones (Approx. $130/cable)
2. Buy a new Dual Cable Rack and Pinion System (Teleflex NFB $390)
3. Replace the old system with a Single Cable Rotary System (Can I even do this - replace a dual rack and pinion with a single cable rotary system?)
4. Replace the old system with a Dual Cable Rotary System

Also, is it really necessary to have the NFB (No feedback) system? There are so many options - and I haven't the slightest on what to do. Any help you guys could give me with this problem would be much appreciated. Thanks!
achilles555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 05:10 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off welcome to the forms. Lemme explain it this way. The only thing between you and an accident when running your boat is the steering and the hull. You dont want either of these compromised at any time. FORGET trying to locate any pieces for that steering system and CERTAINLY forget replacing it with a single cable rotary. There is only 2 systems that should be put on the combonation. Of course the very safest and best would be hydraulic. This boat does not warrant hydraulic. It would be nice and as I said the best there is but good ole dual cable RACK and PINION is the way to go on this boat. Anything that runs any where near 50 and faster needs at least this dual cable rack.Personally I would replace only with the NFB system available and I beleive thats right around 400 shipped to your house. Need anymore help just holler.
Old 03-18-08, 08:43 AM   #3
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

a 150 cn still give you popeye arms after a long day I would consider the hydrolic sea star not ba priced on bay easy to install and like lazer said safe
boater is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.