Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-09, 06:27 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Shimano Citica: Is it all that?

Who has this real? I’ve been researching and reading reviews and apparently this is the best deal since marijuana was legalized. Oh wait; they haven’t done that yet, have they? I digress.

I’ve looked at it a couple times at BPS and Cabelas, but I guess it isn’t until you spool it up and start attacking the water that you appreciate this reel and the price you pay for it.

So I figure this forum is the true venue by which I should take reviews and comments to heart.

Feel free to suggestion another reel that you believe is just as good of a value. Keep in mind the Citica is about $120.00.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 07:14 PM   #2
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I got one , but havent used it yet. Sorry. By the way , I found one on EBay new in box for 100.00 or best offer. So , with 45 minutes left and no bidders , I offered 75 and they took it...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 08:43 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I compared the Citica to the Revo S and bought the Revo. Felt more solid to me and I felt the Revo was smoother. Plus the Revo has a stronger drag than the Citica. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Citica mind you, I just thought the Revo was a better reel.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-09, 09:12 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I have the Citica, but haven't used it for anything but flipping and jigs w/ 30lb braid. Obviously it casts 3/8-3/4oz lures fine, as will almost any reel. I may rig it up with some mono come spring and try it out with spinnerbaits and t-rigs.

But from the little bit I've used it, its not bad for the price. It definately could be smoother, and with braid, its a noisy reel (more than just the normal braid noise). It's not a bad noise like gears grinding or anything, just lacks the silence of reels with more bearings.

Having never used the Revo S, I think if I bought another reel in this price range, I'd go with the Revo. Mostly to compare the two though.

BB
Old 11-07-09, 02:22 AM   #5
Bowhunterman
BassFishin.Com Member

I have one that I recently purchased off of Ebay for $85 and I could not be happier. It is as smooth s ever, it casts the small lure all the way up to the big one just about as smooth and as far as you would want. I definitely would recommend it and will probably buy one or two more, just to have.
Bowhunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-09, 04:45 AM   #6
islandbass

It is not all that, BUT, for its price point it's very tough to beat. By me saying this is not a put down. It just means that my definition of all that is one of its sexier sisters, like say the Core.

You can consider it a workhorse of a reel that won't fail you if you take care of it.

Cranking is fairly smooth, but the Curado will feel smoother, or at least it does in my hands. If you can go to a local store and see for yourself. I find it difficult to buy items such as rods or reels sight and touch unseen unless I already know how they feel in my hands. That's just me.
Old 11-07-09, 09:53 AM   #7
Bassboss

I have not used one, but not to long ago I made a thread asking if the Revo, Citica, or the Daiwa Tierra was better. So far every one has liked the Tierra better. So to answer your question, no, it's not all that, they're are defiantly better reel out there!
Old 11-12-09, 06:44 PM   #8
BeaverIslander

I have a couple of 2008 Citica 200 DSVs and I'm very pleased with the value. After a couple seasons on cranking and topwater sticks they feel about 90% as good as new. Same could be said for the Curado. Both good reels, along with the Abu Revo STX, which drops as low as $150 at times. If you can find one for 150, get it over the Citica.

These 3 reels, IN MY OPINION, are the cream-of-the-crop in the $100-200 range, which offers the best value for those of us that aren't loaded but still want very good tackle.

Last edited by BeaverIslander; 11-12-09 at 06:50 PM.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 07:35 AM   #9
pig n jig

I really like the Citica E reel.I use them for the majority of my fishing.They have been a very solid performing reel for me.Ivan
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 10:27 PM   #10
cwenbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Citica

The reel will be great if you dump a bunch of $$ into it. I put ceramic bearimgs in mine and my old green curados outcast it.
cwenbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 12:42 PM   #11
danielbasspro

I love my citica its great.
Old 12-15-09, 02:34 PM   #12
woody

Daniel, could you elaborate as to why you feel this way about the Citica? hehe
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-09, 06:42 PM   #13
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
The reel will be great if you dump a bunch of $$ into it. I put ceramic bearimgs in mine and my old green curados outcast it.
Why would you put hybrid bearings in it when it already had abec bearings in it ?

I have had a ton of different reels including the red and green curados and I think your not exactly telling the truth if your Citica E doesn't outcast the old curado, even with ceramic hybrid bearings in the curado.I suspect you have a Citica D reel.Do not confuse the D with the E.They are a whole 'nother animal.Ivan
Old 12-15-09, 06:52 PM   #14
nofearengineer

PnJ...keep in mind that ABEC is just a bearing specification system, not an actual bearing type. It's conceivable ceramic bearings (usually ABEC 7'ish) might be an upgrade if the reel originally had ABEC 5 bearings. I'm not personally knowledgeable about Shimano reels. Can anyone tell us what ABEC grade bearings come in a Citica, if any?
Old 12-15-09, 07:16 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
PnJ...keep in mind that ABEC is just a bearing specification system, not an actual bearing type. It's conceivable ceramic bearings (usually ABEC 7'ish) might be an upgrade if the reel originally had ABEC 5 bearings. I'm not personally knowledgeable about Shimano reels. Can anyone tell us what ABEC grade bearings come in a Citica, if any?
In a Citica...Im gonna guess between a 1-3 grade.
I still dont get upgrading bearing in reels....I very seriously doubt the difference is worth the money.
Old 12-15-09, 09:38 PM   #16
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a citica E and a pair of curado E's The citica Is darn nice for the money, but for the extra 60 I think the curado is well worth it. The citica is not as quiet, doesn't have the paddle handles, and doesn't do as well with the lighter baits (3/16) drop shot or shaky head. This being said, I would be more than happy to buy another citica for a new rig if I wasn't planning on spending what it takes to get a curado. I feel that for the lightness in hand and the size you can't beat the citica for the price. Revo's are great reels, but quite a bit heavier and larger. JMHO though.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 06:47 AM   #17
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
No fear,The only thing you will accomplish in trading the bearings out is more added cost to your purchase.The only thing I keep in mind is bearing rpm for casting distances which he was talking about.Once you are to a bearing grade type such as either of these bearings,the maximum rpm is 10,000 rpm for either bearing.With the proper care and maintenence both will last a very long.

Now the upgrade differences come into play on the start up of the casts.A abec 7 will pitch jigs a hair better than a abec 5 bearing will.The pitch will will seem a little bit easier and smoother on the start up of the pitching presentation.Again both have the maximum 10,000 rpm limit .If your reels are not properly maintained then you can throw the equasion right out the window.A cheap stainless steel bearing can out perform the more expensive bearings if it is properly maintained and the more expensive bearing has not been.

Ivan
Old 12-16-09, 06:58 AM   #18
pig n jig

The Citica E has abec 5 bearings. The older Citica D has a lower grade stainless steel bearings. Thus was my post stating the differences between the 2 citica reels.

Bassin ID is spot on for his review.The new Curado has the abec 7 which reflects an easier start up for lighter weighted lure presentations.The handles are also much more comfortable on the curado than the Citica E as well.Ivan
Old 12-16-09, 10:23 AM   #19
nofearengineer

I agree with almost everything you said, PnJ. And I agree with 100% of what you probably meant to say.

I agree that upgrading from an ABEC 5 to a 7 probably isn't cost-effective, but to each his own. If all I did was toss really light lures all day, it might be different. For big cranks and jigs...just wasted bucks.
Old 12-16-09, 03:13 PM   #20
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Why would you put hybrid bearings in it when it already had abec bearings in it ?

I have had a ton of different reels including the red and green curados and I think your not exactly telling the truth if your Citica E doesn't outcast the old curado, even with ceramic hybrid bearings in the curado.I suspect you have a Citica D reel.Do not confuse the D with the E.They are a whole 'nother animal.Ivan
His bad experience is a result of having a lemon citica from the get go. Cwen is no stranger to shimano reels, but he is sharing from his experience with his first Citica.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.