Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-10, 08:08 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Most embarrassing moment while fishing?

What is your most embarrassing moment while fishing. I'll start with mine. When I was a boy we would always spend our summer vacations in Minnesota on a week long fishing trip. The year I was 15, the resort owners grand daughter was there. Ohhhhhh I was in LOVE!!! She was so cute, and hung great with the guys. She loved to fish, knew how to fillet and even made cash filleting for the guests. She was funny and......ok, so I'm still infatuated with her, haha. Anyways, one day I'm looking out my cabin front window out onto the lake and the large horseshoe shaped pier and I see her out there on the pier casting for pike along with several others. Sooo, I grab my gear and head out there. I'm casting away, looking cool and talkin smooth trash to her the whole time. I've just GOT to hook into something BIG to impress this gal I'm thinking. But honestly, most of my attention is on her and not on what I'm doing. Suddenly I take one step back and SPLASH! Nooo, I didnt fall into the lake exactly. There was a bait box built onto the side of the pier the owner sold live minnows from. It was about 2 foot wide and 4 foot long, and someone had left the lid open. And while watching the love of my summer vacation, I stepped back off the pier and landed backwards right inside the bait box, and I was stuck! Everyone came running including my now, "no way in hell", love of my life. Ohhhh, laughter filled the air. What a site it must have been. It wasn't such a great site from my point of view! After the laughter had subsided, the guys on the pier pulled me free, and I slinked off to my cabin, smelling like a minnow. Thank God we were going home the next morning. I can't imagine what a few more days of vacation would have been like after that.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 08:21 PM   #2
Bassboss

lmao, that's funny man! Wost thing I can think of is on peir I was taking a leak off the side, and some behind me reared back to cast a big 'ol plug, it grabbed for shorts and pulled my flat on my back. Thank fully I was on empty and faucet was off.
Old 08-04-10, 08:24 PM   #3
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Keithdog, thanks for sharing I dang sho can't top that.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 08:40 PM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

We had been having trouble with snakes at the ponds I fished at as a kid. I was carrying my 20 ga. shotgun loaded with birdshot and a tacklebox and a couple of rods. I was not paying good enough attention when crossing the spillway at the end of the dam and fell off. When I came up sputterin I turned the shot gun and water poured out of it. I was covered in mossy water and probably looked like a swamp thing.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 09:17 PM   #5
WTL

Once, I was fishing with some friends and I got a backlash. That had never happened to me before, and never since.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 09:24 PM   #6
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, the one that comes to mind is when we were smallie fishing one Erie last year, and I got my dropshot hung in the bouy rope.... well the weights started pulling back and lets just say I thought I had a good fish that was staying down.... even had the boater ready with the net!

Ryan
Old 08-04-10, 10:36 PM   #7
keithdog

These are good guys. Keep'em comming.
Old 08-04-10, 10:52 PM   #8
Ebbetsguy

These are the 2 that happened with my pants on!!!!!!!

1. I was fishing with my Friend Ron, trolling motor only lake and he hooks into a very good bass , right between a stump and a big bunch of water lillys. He is up front and I am in the back , with a tiller controlled Min Kota 55# thrust motor, Ron asks me to get him back more so he can get the fish in the boat for a photo and release and he says DO NOT GO RIGHT, I think he said JUST GO RIGHT : so i back the boat a bit, then turn it sharpley right and we had the first BASS_O_MATIC in history, chopped that poor sucka right in half with the motor.

2.I bought a brand new Cabelas Fish Eagle Ii Casting rod , put a brand new Pflueger Trion LP Baitcaster on it. I tied a jig on and cast it out, My buddy up front was having some reel issues, I put the rod down and went to see what I could do to help him, the jig got hit, whatever it was pulled the rod, reel and all to the bottom of the lake, never to be seen again, I never even got to reel the lure in not even once

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 08-05-10 at 09:16 AM.
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 10:56 PM   #9
bamabassman

well once i had a boy from mississippi in my boat....................BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!kiddin g brother daniel. been trying remember my MOST embarrrassing moment fishing. but it hasn't hit me yet.
guess the mrs. bamabassman catching more and bigger bass than me would fit.
Old 08-04-10, 11:07 PM   #10
WaffleJaw

Mine would have to be when I climbed down a small, rocky cliff to hit the bank.I left my other rods and bag on top of the cliff (about 5ft tall)and took my 7ft rod...On about the third cast ,my lure caught my other rod behind me on the cliff ,and since I was already in motion I ended up casting my other rod over my head into the water....The rod hit the grass in the water so it just sat there not sinking (lucky)...It took me a minute to realized what just happened,but I gathered dignity and got my rod out of the water.
Then looked around for by standers,lol
Old 08-04-10, 11:27 PM   #11
bassinbob

WTL what is a backlash?
Old 08-05-10, 09:17 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well once i had a boy from mississippi in my boat....................BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!kiddin g brother daniel. been trying remember my MOST embarrrassing moment fishing. but it hasn't hit me yet.
guess the mrs. bamabassman catching more and bigger bass than me would fit.
I can see how it would be hard to pick just one of those instances to be the most embarrassing.

BB
Old 08-05-10, 07:35 PM   #13
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
WTL what is a backlash?
ME of course!!!!!!
Old 08-05-10, 07:41 PM   #14
rangerryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
WTL what is a backlash?

I think he pooped his pants........lol
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 07:41 PM   #15
rangerryan

Just kidding its when your reel tangles
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 08:09 PM   #16
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post
Rangerryan you owe me a new keyboard, I just spit Mt. dew all over mine. ROTFLMAO
Old 08-05-10, 09:27 PM   #17
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post

No, thats happened more than once.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-10, 10:42 PM   #18
bamabassman

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! for real now......... i can see ron spitting mt dew on his keyboard. laughing so hard it is tough to type.
Old 08-05-10, 10:55 PM   #19
cassidyta

Since I am usually fishing alone, most of biggest mistakes are not too embarrassing.
The two that stand out the most to me are
1) the first waleye I ever caught. Until that point I had never seen a toothy fish. I hooked it while fishing in Michigan as a kid. A small group had formed as I landed it. I learned quickly that not all fish should be lipped.

2) My first ever weighin in a tournament. I was very pumped to bring a large fish to the weigh in. As I got to the dock I was taking the usual ribbing since I hadn't weighed in several attempts. I was so eager to shut up the hecklers that I reached in the livewell tolift and show off a very healthy 5 lbs fish. It proceeded to flip its tale and go all "free willy" on me. I watched my big fish dive beneath the boat not to be seen again.
Old 08-05-10, 11:38 PM   #20
Ground Pounder

Mine just happened a couple weeks ago - was at a launch dock across from a marina catfishing at night with some buddies. Current gets pretty strong through there from the feeder river, so we're always stuck using 3-4 ounce sinkers to keep the lines down. The heavy sinkers were wreaking havoc on my little shimano spinning reels, so I picked up a Berkeley Big Game heavy casting rod and stuck my Black max with 50 lb. braid on there.

I tie on a flouro leader with a double dropper and a 3 ounce sinker, wind up and let 'er rip. Sure enough, the leader knot comes loose, and this 3 ounces of lead shot about 75 yards across the marina right into the bow of some poor guy's house boat. When it hit, it sounded like a shotgun blast.

The poor gent comes outside looking around, so I walked over and fessed up about what had happened. He was cool, we both had a little chuckle, and I went back, no harm-no foul. Still, I put the poolstick away and fished the rest of the night in a little slipstream about 20 feet from the dock with my wimpy shimano's.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-10, 08:46 AM   #21
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
We had been having trouble with snakes at the ponds I fished at as a kid.
My uncle owned a small farm pond when I was a teenager, and it had a healthy population of water snakes (not cottonmouths, just ordinary water snakes). One evening my uncle and I were fishing and one of the larger snakes came swimming right to where I stood on the bank. At the last instant it dove under and went into a hole in the bank.

Well, I decided I'd been startled enough times by these serpents, so I went home briefly and changed into bathing trunks. I picked up one of my dad's garden hoes and headed back to the pond. Then, like only a total moron teenager would think of doing, I waded out about waist deep into the pond and proceeded to chop back into the bank with the hoe. On about the third chop, here comes the snake spiraling its way up the hoe handle! Talk about thrashing and scrambling! I was wishing I could walk on water, cause I was high-stepping and getting nowhere. I flung the hoe to one side and luckily the snake went with it. By the time I got out of the water, my uncle had come over to see what the commotion was about, and he stood there laughing like hell.

Needless to say, my uncle didn't let me forget this for a long, long time.

Old 08-06-10, 03:31 PM   #22
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
My uncle owned a small farm pond when I was a teenager, and it had a healthy population of water snakes (not cottonmouths, just ordinary water snakes). One evening my uncle and I were fishing and one of the larger snakes came swimming right to where I stood on the bank. At the last instant it dove under and went into a hole in the bank.

Well, I decided I'd been startled enough times by these serpents, so I went home briefly and changed into bathing trunks. I picked up one of my dad's garden hoes and headed back to the pond. Then, like only a total moron teenager would think of doing, I waded out about waist deep into the pond and proceeded to chop back into the bank with the hoe. On about the third chop, here comes the snake spiraling its way up the hoe handle! Talk about thrashing and scrambling! I was wishing I could walk on water, cause I was high-stepping and getting nowhere. I flung the hoe to one side and luckily the snake went with it. By the time I got out of the water, my uncle had come over to see what the commotion was about, and he stood there laughing like hell.

Needless to say, my uncle didn't let me forget this for a long, long time.

Ohhhh how I wish you had a video of that to share, hahahaha
Old 08-06-10, 04:15 PM   #23
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Ohhhh how I wish you had a video of that to share, hahahaha
Yeah Keith, believe it or not, I also wish I did have a video. If nothing else, it would allow me to hear my uncle (deceased as of 1988) laugh again. He was my fishing mentor and I still miss him.

Old 08-07-10, 07:08 PM   #24
nofearengineer

I really thought it would be tossing my brand new St. Croix rod into the lake in front of Woody. (Miraculously, I got it back.)

Until I fell out of my boat fishing with Cmorg a month later. God, I shouldn't be allowed near a lake.
Old 08-07-10, 10:47 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I really thought it would be tossing my brand new St. Croix rod into the lake in front of Woody. (Miraculously, I got it back.)

Until I fell out of my boat fishing with Cmorg a month later. God, I shouldn't be allowed near a lake.
C'mon, falling down the hill has got to at least make the top three!

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.