Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-10, 05:50 AM   #26
triglet
BassFishin.Com Member

okay ill donate mine.. while fishing with a buddy. i caught a 2lb or so bass. while i was waiting to pass the fish to him to put in the livewell i propped up against the seat on the front of my boat. well u guess it a wave come in i didnt see it. it rocked the boat and the seat swiveled right out from under me. he said it looked like i was in slow motion lol. i managed to knock the fish finder off the console and somehow managed to catch it and keep it out of the water with my left hand. meanwhile my head and right side of my body went under the water. my buddy managed to grab me by the waist of my jeans and keep me from going in. i swear we laughed for a half an hour... and i couldnt hear out of my right ear for about 2 hours because the water was trapped in there... lesson learned never prop up on a swivel seat!
triglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 03:09 PM   #27
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
C'mon, falling down the hill has got to at least make the top three!

BB
Well, technically that happened "after fishing."

Besides, I was in too much pain to be embarassed.
Old 08-08-10, 06:59 PM   #28
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by triglet View Post
okay ill donate mine.. while fishing with a buddy. i caught a 2lb or so bass. while i was waiting to pass the fish to him to put in the livewell i propped up against the seat on the front of my boat. well u guess it a wave come in i didnt see it. it rocked the boat and the seat swiveled right out from under me. he said it looked like i was in slow motion lol. i managed to knock the fish finder off the console and somehow managed to catch it and keep it out of the water with my left hand. meanwhile my head and right side of my body went under the water. my buddy managed to grab me by the waist of my jeans and keep me from going in. i swear we laughed for a half an hour... and i couldnt hear out of my right ear for about 2 hours because the water was trapped in there... lesson learned never prop up on a swivel seat!
Another one I'd love to watch on youtube haha
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-10, 08:56 PM   #29
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Before we got the boat I took Abbey bank fishing on a small lake nearby. I was trying to cast out as far as possible to get to the fish. So I was really leaning into it. At one point, after I flung it out as hard as I could, the upper section of the rod went along with the bait!
Luckily I was able to real it all back in - Abbey laughed and laughed ("dad almost cast his pole in the lake.")
Old 08-09-10, 02:02 PM   #30
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Cmon, I cant be the only one to engage the trolling motor left on high speed and have the boat pulled right out from under me like the ole table cloth trick? Am I?
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 03:44 PM   #31
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
Cmon, I cant be the only one to engage the trolling motor left on high speed and have the boat pulled right out from under me like the ole table cloth trick? Am I?
Your TM must have more power to boat ratio than mine
Old 08-09-10, 04:13 PM   #32
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Sportin' a Spoon

I was a teen and casting a 1 ounce Krocodile Spoon into schools of slashing Bluefish.

As my retrieve neared the end, one blasted after my spoon so I reared back to set the hook!

It missed and the spoon came catapulting out of the water at an amazing speed. It struck me in the forehead, hook set in, and blood started to flow.

I made my way to the road, bloodied face, and flagged down a complete stranger. He drove me home as I cupped the spoon and still-dripping blood into my hand. Emergency room visit and spoon hook removal followed.

The scar is right at my hair line, so no one notices.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-10, 04:33 PM   #33
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That sounds painful.

My great-grandmother hooked me through my eyelid when I was a kid.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 08:53 AM   #34
TheBassDoctor
BassFishin.Com Member

I just bought a '93 Ranger Commanche 492vs six years ago. I was FAIRLY a novice to bass boating & asked a friend of mine to come with me to christen it. he backed it into the water. I started it up & pulled it to a holding area off the slip. while he parked the truck, I started to notice some water beginning to well up through the drain at my feet. I started to swear at the guy who sold it to me that it wasn't sea-worthy! As the boat filled up I was frantically trying to flag down my friend who seemed to be enjoying his leasurely stroll back to the dock. I hit the bilge pump but the water was still getting VERY deep when I saw him duck into the restroom! I finally got him to see the urgency of the situation as the water was about to fill my hatches. We finally got the boat out & dumped a tremendous amount of water on the pavement over the next few minutes with a crowd of onlookers I hadn't noticed before. The punchline is... I forgot to put in the DRAIN PLUG!!!! Rookie mistake that I have never thankfully repeated! And I found out later that it is a filled hull and I wouldn't have actually sunk if I left it in all day!!
TheBassDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-10, 09:27 AM   #35
Abbeysdad

Okay so I'd had the boat in and out of the water some 30+ times by now... This time I'm coming in the channel to the dock (on the left) and swung her around - a little tighter than usual (a little too complacent I guess). My angle was a bit off and my speed was a bit to fast as I headed towards the corner of the dock. I thought I she would swing more in line with the dock but she didn't and I guess I zoned out a bit....with the girls telling me I was gonna hit ....BAM, I hit the dock with a real good THUMP - oops.

Luckily for me the dock has some good rubber bumper guard all around, including the corners and the only damage to the boat was a split in the bumper wrap that was easily fixed with some silicone. I coast in pretty slow these days.
Old 08-18-10, 09:47 AM   #36
Abbeysdad

This one isn't mine, but needs t be shared...

I came back into the launch around noon that day after fishing. It's a Saturday and the launch is a zoo. I have to wait quite some time for a bay to open up - so I'm pretty much just in float mode with little/no correction. I see this guy having some starting issues. I'm thinking it's not in very good shape and it turns over and runs for a bit, then spit, sputters and dies...It does this several times. At the same time I notice a wave runner gets launched and I hear the launch guy say, "What no plugs, that'll take 20 minutes to drain out" (they had to pull it back out)...meanwhile two other boats launch. Suddenly I notice the guy that was having the engine trouble comes blasting out of the bay and it looks for sure like he's gonna smash into a docked pontoon boat across the way. He suddenly goes running to the back of the boat, jumps over the rear seats, onto the swim platform, reaches out, hands against the pontoon boat and stops his boat from smacking it. I almost could not believe what I was seeing...As they go by, shaking my head I holler "be careful out there" and the wife just looks at me confused, smiles and says "oh yea"...oblivious to what just happened .... or maybe that was a normal launch for them?

Finally a bay opens up, I switch my ropes to the other side, dock and get out of there. The lot is full and I shake my head as I leave the park and head down the road to see 4 other boats heading to the launch - "good luck" I say to myself.
Old 08-18-10, 06:34 PM   #37
keithdog

My father has been gone for many years now, so I'll post what I am sure was his moment for him, haha, sorry dad. When I was about 18 my dad and brothers all took a fishing trip to Cass Lake MN. There were 5 of us all together, so we rented two Lund v hull fishing boats with 15 HP motors. Comming in to the pier from a good mornings fishing. my dad and my oldest brother were pulling up to the pier. Dad was operating the motor while my brother who is a large lad, was leaning oout over the nose of the boat reaching for the edge of the pier. Dad was pulling in nice and moderate speed wise, with the intention of throwing the motor into reverse hard to give it a dead stop at docks edge. BUT, he accidently through it into forward hard!! My brother who was reaching WAYYY out past the nose of the boat reaching for the pier was catapaulted out of the boat when it slammed into the pier and nearly rolled off the other side of the pier. hahaha, Sorry Dad, still laughing over that one.
Old 08-18-10, 07:43 PM   #38
bassboogieman

I was trying out some rods several years ago in my search for THE ONE, looking to upgrade to a "premium" line of rods actually. A good friend lent me a G Loomins crankbait rod to try for the day while fishing at Buggs Island. Anyway, was throwing a trap about mid-morning when a hook sagged the rod tip on a cast - took the rod right out of my hand. Water was only mid-50's and I was 10 - 12 miles from the ramp, so I watched it sink in 20' + water. He didn't believe me when I told him I hated the rod so much I threw it overboard. I was lucky (lucky? I was still out a reel) that I put one of my own reels on it (I didn't like the Shimano he had on it) so I only had to buy him a NEW ROD at the tackle shop that evening. $225.00 pizzed away that day. We did spend about an hour trying to snag it, of course we had NO luck.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 07:21 PM   #39
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I was trying out some rods several years ago in my search for THE ONE, looking to upgrade to a "premium" line of rods actually. A good friend lent me a G Loomins crankbait rod to try for the day while fishing at Buggs Island. Anyway, was throwing a trap about mid-morning when a hook sagged the rod tip on a cast - took the rod right out of my hand. Water was only mid-50's and I was 10 - 12 miles from the ramp, so I watched it sink in 20' + water. He didn't believe me when I told him I hated the rod so much I threw it overboard. I was lucky (lucky? I was still out a reel) that I put one of my own reels on it (I didn't like the Shimano he had on it) so I only had to buy him a NEW ROD at the tackle shop that evening. $225.00 pizzed away that day. We did spend about an hour trying to snag it, of course we had NO luck.
I bet you looked like my dog with his tail between his legs when you had to fess up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.