Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-06, 06:46 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default I hate my Minn Kota Endura.

Supposedly it has 46 lbs of thrust - in reality it feels more like 26. The mount is terrible (broke today at G'ville), it quits in heavy vegitation and the balance is terrible. That is all.
Old 07-13-06, 07:02 PM   #2
zooker

wtl
do you charge the battery before you go? is there water in the battery? is your connetions tight?? i know stupid questions but very inportant ones. in the type of heat we in the south get it sucks the water from a battery in a hurry..

"the mount broke" -sorry it happens- "stops in heavy vegation" ok then get a kipiawa prop almost all will stop."balance is terrible" does this mean it vibrates a ton??

zooker
Old 07-13-06, 07:14 PM   #3
WTL

Checked the water before I went. The connections are superb. I have a kipawa prop. By the balance being terrible I just mean the foot of the motor is huge, weights about 20 pounds, while the head weighs maybe 2, so to lift the thing takes too much leverage - thats a minor complaint. The mount is just poorly designed and fashioned out of composite material - their name for plastic.

When I say it stops in heavy vegetation, I mean it stops waay too easy.
Old 07-14-06, 11:03 AM   #4
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I personally think Minn Kota makes a fine trolling motor and I haven't any problems with the 4 that I have owned over the years.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 10:34 PM   #5
chazmo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default my mount broke also

I have a minn kota motor and once I forgot to lower before I took the boat out of the water. To make a long story short the locking mechism broke. I went to my local tractor supply store and purchased a hinge pin with a handle. Drilled hole in the motor mount and now the motor stays put just fine.
chazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 10:42 PM   #6
WTL

Chazmo, thats what happened to mine as well. So I engineered a solution for now using rope, an electric tie and wire. That is what is so annoying, the fact that I could figure out a better way to engineer the thing with random household crap, and yet they insist on doing it the way they did anyways with access to all the manufacturing technology they have. Heck, if they had just made that locking mechanism out of steel it would have been indestructable. Its like they want it to break so I fork out more money for a better mount.
Old 07-18-06, 10:53 PM   #7
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

have you checked the shear pin lately?..and you might want to take the cover off the top of the motor and checked that the wires aren't melted together.
Old 07-20-06, 11:31 PM   #8
ddc_5114
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is what I would do.

Next time you go fishing, lower your trolling motor into the water.
Second, loosen the bolts that fasten it to your boat. Then, in one swift motion kick it into the lake.(I recommend having an oar present if your boat is not equipped w/a gas engine) Lastly, go purchase a Motorguide.

you will thank yourself!!!
ddc_5114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 10:51 AM   #9
TackleTester
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to TackleTester

first of all, if it stops in weeds too easy, that's not the motor's fault...that's the prop....if you have a weedless wedge prop, then that should eliminate that problem. It feels like 26...hmm....is it possible that it may be too small of a motor for your boat....(obviously i dont know without any idea what size your boat is)...Could your battery be a defect?....maybe it was placed on concrete before you bought it?..........Motor guides are junk imo...Minn Kota is the way to go.

my .02 anyway....and good luck with that thing..hope it works out for you.
TackleTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 12:20 PM   #10
WTL

46 pounds for a 13 foot boat? No, it was supposed to be way too big, that was what I was looking for and it aint.

As for it stopping easily in weeds, what I am saying is it has no...torque. I don't expect a lot, but I mean a few strands of weeds stop it. I used the stock prop for a year and it had the problem, then went to a kipawa recently and it still has the problem.

I suspected the battery could have been the problem a while back, so I hooked it up to two batteries one day to test that theory. It was the same ole, same ole.

I can fish with it ok, its not bad, but it sure as hell isn't what I paid for.
Old 07-22-06, 08:41 PM   #11
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Get a Motorguide.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.