Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-11, 11:15 AM   #1
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Micro spiraled MHX-CB843

Finally got this rod done!.Had the extra blank and wanted to build myself a shallow crank/jerkbait rod.
Other than the stripper guide,Im happy with it..The stripper got a lite contamination in it..Being only 6mm its really hard to see,but its scattered with these tiny pin sized dents on both coats..I may cut it off and re-wrap it cause Im not too thrilled with the wrap anyway...or sand and re-coat..Dont know yet...I think it was caused by blowing heat through a short straw to pop bubbles and moisture got into the finish.

anyway.
Spiraled wrapped with amtak titanium micros down to 3mm all locked.Finally built a minima seat for myself (The trigger feels a little sharp and too curved for my grip,but Ill manage)
Looks and balancing great with my SX reel

Old 04-21-11, 11:55 AM   #2
doc

So, when can I petition you for an orange and black, or dare I say a "Razorback" topwater rod?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 02:22 PM   #3
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Nice job. Did you do that butt grip on a lathe?
Old 04-21-11, 03:34 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVT Mike View Post
Nice job. Did you do that butt grip on a lathe?
Thanks mike...Yea I did the inlays then shaped it on the lathes.I used red eva and not the craft foam stuff in fear it may not be strong enough when installing it..For the grooves I just fold a piece of 150 grit and hit the red while it was spinning..A little deeper and not as perfect as I hoped,but it grew on me.

Doc,After May and Im caught up...Ill be good to go...Most of my Dad's side are Razorbacks!
Old 04-21-11, 06:31 PM   #5
MO3N

looks great. I like that wrap a lot.
How hard is it to attach the minima reel seats? do you just order it for the diameter of the rod?
Another random question but do you print your own stickers for the rods you build? if so are they just vinyl stickers?
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 06:58 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
looks great. I like that wrap a lot.
How hard is it to attach the minima reel seats? do you just order it for the diameter of the rod?
Another random question but do you print your own stickers for the rods you build? if so are they just vinyl stickers?

Thanks!
They take longer than a standard seat...I also cut alot of the threads off the hood as well so that takes about an extra 30 minutes..Too long for low profile reels imo.

But yea..I measure the rod blank..On 7' rod blank I like to measure 10'' from the butt for my reel seat... I mark it and measure it with my calipers in millimeters (thats how the reel seat sizes come in)....With minima's you want a good snug fit..Definitely one you dont want to arbor!!..I think this blank measured around 11.2mm
So I ordered a 11mm seat and did a little light reaming with a rat tail file to get a tight fit..Not super tight...Just good and snug.
The hoods comes in the same size regardless...You need to shim them to fit tight...I wanted to use a foam arbor,but mine are too small so I used fiberglass mesh tape...It strong and allows a lot of epoxy to fill in for a solid bond....I installed both pieces with rod bond...great stuff!
Then cap the ends with rubber winding checks.
For the measurement between the two pieces I just use a reel and make sure half an inch of the reel foot catches the hood/threads..Give or take.

edit: forgot about the decals..sorry its been a long week!
All the ones in black,I print on an inkjet printer with a clear waterslide decal material for an inkjet...The silver,and other colors I order from suppliers (golden touch decals) ...I only do black on my own because colors fade out over most wraps and blank colors...
Ill get more detailed about it later...I gotta go..You still got my email?

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 04-21-11 at 07:10 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 07:14 PM   #7
Jrob78

The rod turned out great! The silver trim in the butt wrap really makes the red sparkle. I love how you hide the tags of your crosswrap under your grips, that makes it looks so clean.

I wish I would have casted this one on Saturday, I'm interested in how it handles. Next time for sure. I bet it makes an awesome small crankbait rod! Nice work man!!
Old 04-21-11, 09:12 PM   #8
66KingFisher

Flaws or not, I like it....Nice job dude.
Old 04-21-11, 09:18 PM   #9
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow.. just wow. that's a SWEET looking rod you built yourself there walker, matches the SX perfectly. How the heck you did that wrap on the split I'll never know, amazing.
Old 04-21-11, 10:25 PM   #10
bamabassman

what flaws? i didn't see any. dangit to betsey.....you gusy are SICK! I MEAN THAT IN THE BEST WAY BUDDY. lord a the TALENT we have here on this site gang. amazing to me.
Old 04-21-11, 11:22 PM   #11
Imgoodatwhatido

awesome rod man. I gotta get some new pics of the rods i been building, been so busy with them i havent had time to get on here. Im building one for a little buddy of mine that fishes on the middle tennessee state U team. Its a deep crankin rod on a batson blank, with a minima seat and micros. Its gonna be pretty sweet. Thanks to yall i got another hobby THAT I DONT NEED lol
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 11:49 PM   #12
bassboogieman

Another fantastic job Walker, I really like the wrap on the handle. Entire rod is sharp, and I like that reel seat. Good match with the reel, it complements it very well. One of these days, pal............. one of these days.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 12:17 AM   #13
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Just another awesome creation Pancake. You're gonna be giving Vivona tips before long.
I had the problem with the epoxy before too. It's like it doesn't mend in or something in spots. I hit it with a light sanding and it finally took.
Old 04-22-11, 10:00 AM   #14
WaffleJaw

Thanks again guys for the encouragement and compliments!!

Joe,I meant to pass this off to you several times that day,but its hard to remember when your focused on not catching fish,lol...I also have 12lb on the SX...I need to drop it to 10lb...But even the 12lb seem to cast the 100 bandits really well!
I just got permission to skip out on a wedding Saturday so I may be able to get out for a bit...I *%#$@ need to after this week!!

Bubba I think what happen was moisture built up in my straw (Im pretty anal about keeping it dry)...and I blew microscopic saliva in it and it didnt show....It made its way to the top during the drying process and evaporated leaving the tiny dents.
I really gotta work on blowing my rods
Old 04-22-11, 10:10 AM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Just a tip Pancake. I use those straws with the flex bend in them so they catch the spit like a trap on a trumpet.
Old 04-22-11, 10:52 AM   #16
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Just a tip Pancake. I use those straws with the flex bend in them so they catch the spit like a trap on a trumpet.
Thats a good tip,and I think I have some!
Old 04-22-11, 05:59 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Walker, great looking rod as always! I really love that wrap you did between the handles.

Can't wait till I resave up enough to get my custom, lol!

BB
Old 04-22-11, 10:42 PM   #18
VadneyCustomRods
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Holy ****, that's genius!!! I'm stealing that idea for sure!
VadneyCustomRods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 06:56 PM   #19
MO3N

One quick question.
When you do the custom wraps between the grips. do you put the winding checks in and just wrap as close to them as possible or is there some way to get the wraps underneath the winding checks?

Thanks Again for all the help.
MO3N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 10:40 PM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO3N View Post
One quick question.
When you do the custom wraps between the grips. do you put the winding checks in and just wrap as close to them as possible or is there some way to get the wraps underneath the winding checks?

Thanks Again for all the help.
For me it just depends on if there is any play between check and the blank. If it is snug, I will glue it with the handle and just pack to the edge of the check. If the check has a little play, I will wrap a layer of thread under it to the edge and terminate it, this helps center the check and then I start with the wrap and push it in to meet the other thread. I have learned that if you glue one with a gap, it can make wrapping a mutha! One side will push under and the wrap will get wavy and just an eye sore. Pancake and the other guys might do something different, but just my method.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.