Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-07, 07:21 PM   #1
Sportdog
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Water in Cylinders!

Hi guys, first time poster here and I have a problem. I noticed that my 1997 Mercury 4cy. 2stroke outboard was running hot. I still had a decent stream of water but did notice that it wasn't what it should be. My buddies told me to change the water pump impeller so I got a manual for the motor and the parts and did it. I don't know if I did something wrong or the problem of water in the cylinders already existed but I noticed water coming out from around my spark plugs when it was running. The motor ran fine and did until I started it after the water pump replacement. Well, it still runs ok for the very short period that I ran it. My question is this....Is there something that I did or didn't do that is causing this problem or do you think that it was there already from getting hot? This was my first foray into the world of outboard motor maintenance other than winterizing and it didn't go to well. What do you guys think? Thanks for any replies, much appreciated.
Sportdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 07:33 PM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well I dont think you did anything wrong but I hate to be the bearer of bad news. You probably have either a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head at the worst. If your pretty good with tools its straight forward to check out. Do a compression test first. You said that she was getting hot but still had a stream of water. This is a condition of head sealing problems.Was the water coming out around 2 adjacent cylinders???? If it was most likely just a blown head gasket. DONT RUN IT ANYMORE. Severe engine damage can occur. The compression test can go one of 2 ways. The readings would be low on the 2 cylinders or it could read high if the water is in there enough to seal the rings and jump the compression up. A manual will be needed for proper torque specifications. Ifn ya need anymore help just give a holler and welcome to the forums.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.