Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-12, 07:26 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default So since walmart is looking good for most, what would you buy

so just to say if you had to buy from wallyworld what would you get, combo setup and all. me i like the daiwa junipers 7'6 heavy with a quantum code or vendetta with a kinetic reel... or or maybe a acurist with a falcom rod..... for bait kvd square bills and they have a new line of strike king creature baits, so just to have fun, what would you get.
Old 02-05-12, 09:23 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Garcia silver max and berkely lightning shock.
Old 02-05-12, 09:30 PM   #3
bamabassman

reel...garcia, silvermax and pro max as well as the lews speed reels. i recently got a lews 7:1.1 and LOVE IT. rods the lightening rods and the other ones slightly higher in price, forgot the name sorry.
Old 02-05-12, 11:16 PM   #4
wallywallace

jeez i hate berkly rods, figured yall'd say the falcon or abu vendetta, did look at silver maz but got alotta people telling againest it cause it it a graphte plastic case.
Old 02-05-12, 11:39 PM   #5
WTL

Most walmarts dont carry vendettas. But sure, go for it.
Old 02-05-12, 11:39 PM   #6
bamabassman

wally, i have 1 silvermax and 2 promax's. very nice reels. i also go thte lews reel. $139.99. love all of these reels.
Old 02-06-12, 12:07 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Our Wal-Mart doesn't have Falcon rods, or at least they didn't have them last time I was there. If yours does then in my opinion that is probably the best buy in the store. They are a top shelf rod company and in my opinion it is a treat to find them in a Wal-Mart. Oddly enough my first Falcon rod came from a Wal-Mart many years ago. I am guessing they accidently got it in on a truck and had no idea what they had because it was in a bit with a bunch of other cheap rods for like $50. I still have the rod and of all the rods I own it is still one of my favorites. It's nothing special, just a Falcon Original FC5-17, but for some reason I still reach for it over most of my other rods for things like spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, and Texas rigs. Of all the things our Wal-Mart has, I would say that their baits is the most tempting to me. I am not really a fan of the KVD rods or the Skeet Reese rods because I have seen so many sloppy builds when I look at them. But the Daiwa Jupiter rods feel like a surprisingly solid rod for the money.
Old 02-06-12, 06:58 AM   #8
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Over the years many chains for various reasons have changed the name brands they sell,years ago wally world tended to buy more job lots than today and what may have been on an over turned truck could have easily turned up there with some really good stuff mixed in,nowdays its safer to ship from china than take a chance on possibly broken merchandise.
Payoff and crush good merchandise is todays thought pattern,even extending to the mfg companies.
I bought my lews speed spool at walley world,20 + years ago,,and would bring same 72 dollars used now as it did then new.Was being discontinued that gear ratio is why they had it.Aint no way ,I would part with it,just getting it broke in.
Like your falcon I love my lews,but could be the reasoning behind it being there back then.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 07:46 AM   #9
joedog

Unfortunately, if I had to shop nothing but the Walmart by me, I'd have to find a NEW hobby!.
They have some Ugly Sticks. Oh, they have some Shakespeares too!
Old 02-06-12, 08:07 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I gotta agree with Joedog on this one. The Walmarts near me have an awful selection of fishing stuff.

I order most of my big stuff online from Tackle Warehouse. I picked up some stuff on BPS or Cabela's.

BB
Old 02-06-12, 09:14 AM   #11
wallywallace

well jeez. i figured by know they all would have been upgrades, heck the do sponser the FLW
Old 02-06-12, 10:11 AM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I'll have to check when I get back home, but I'd be shocked if the WalMart in Traverse City has upgraded anything in their fishing department
Old 02-06-12, 04:02 PM   #13
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

Our Wally World just upgraded their fishing dept. I picked up several Luck E Strike Rick Clunn square bills and War Eagle spinnerbaits. I also picked up a couple KVD frogs. They had Vendettas, Skeet rods, KVD cranking rods, and a handful of Falcons. I was quite impressed.
dizzy_ghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 04:02 PM   #14
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

Our Wally World just upgraded their fishing dept. I picked up several Luck E Strike Rick Clunn square bills and War Eagle spinnerbaits. I also picked up a couple KVD frogs. They had Vendettas, Skeet rods, KVD cranking rods, and a handful of Falcons. I was quite impressed.
dizzy_ghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 04:18 PM   #15
Jrob78

I checked a couple of my Walmarts, they had Vendettas, Skeet rods, the new KVD rods with micro guides, in casting and spinning, graphite and composite. They also had Falcon Bucoos, some Daiwa rods I had never seen before, Yamamoto Senkos, KVD cranks, Luck E Strike cranks, KVD Triple Grips, Trokar hooks, Sufix 832, I was pretty shocked to see all that at Walmart. They didn't really have any decent casting reels though, only the graphite framed Abu Garcias.
Old 02-06-12, 04:54 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Let me know when Wal Mart starts carrying Dobyns rods. Hell, even our Cabela's doesn't stock them...

BB
Old 02-08-12, 07:24 PM   #17
screwballl

WM has some basic Daiwa spinning reel combo with 7' 2 piece Med rod. They go on and off sale for $19. I have one for bluegill and small fish usage, and another for small bass setups in these tighter areas where I am not worried if my rod or reel get messed up. There are a few ponds and trails I carry the basics on to reach some decent bass and warmouth holes.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 09:15 PM   #18
rrw4258

Quite a few of the NW Ohio are WalMarts are stocked with the same thing you are talking about. KVD, Skeet, Bucoo Rods... Yammamoto plastics, Rick Clunn crankbaits, and alot of new hooks and other goodies. Finally another reason to go to WalMart.

Ryan
Old 02-08-12, 10:35 PM   #19
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Let me know when Wal Mart starts carrying Dobyns rods. Hell, even our Cabela's doesn't stock them...

BB
It appears that Cabelas has stopped carrying the Dobyns brand, you will no longer find them on their website. Sucks, our Cabelas is scheduled to open soon and I thought it would be nice to be able to handle some of these rods.
Old 02-09-12, 12:32 AM   #20
james86
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My WM has nothing but Pinnacle, Shakespeare, and Ugly Stick rods. The best reels they have are Abu round reels that sell for about $110. As far as bait goes they have almost everything you'd need as far as zoom goes and Senkos. Everything else is pretty much salt water tackle. I imagine it's because I live so close to salt water and brackish water.
Old 02-10-12, 05:45 PM   #21
fish4942

My WalMart needs to step up its game apparently. Some of these wallyworlds are sound like junior Bass Pro Shops. The only thing I get at wallyworld is Power Pro Braid usually around $13.00 for 150yrds, Berkley Trilene mono, slip bobbers, stringers, night crawlers, chicken liver.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 06:07 PM   #22
WTL

I go to 3 different walmarts in montgomery, 2 of which has the cheap selection, but the better walmart has the skeet rods and such. Not that I care to buy one.
Old 02-10-12, 07:06 PM   #23
basshunter21

Our walmart hasnt stepped it up as much as yours but they have more nicer stuff.

I was shocked when I was there last night and saw they have TroKar hooks now.

They got wright and mcgill or whatever skeet reese baitcaster and a $100 Quantum bait caster.

Not much of a upgrade in the baits and plastics though. Looks like their still working on it though.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 09:28 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
It appears that Cabelas has stopped carrying the Dobyns brand, you will no longer find them on their website. Sucks, our Cabelas is scheduled to open soon and I thought it would be nice to be able to handle some of these rods.
From what I've heard, Gary Dobyns recently shipped another order to Cabelas and they should still be carrying them. However, the sales aren't that great at most Cabela's stores so they are stocking them. In fact, our Cabela's has gotten rid of their high end Steez rods, and scaled down the Loomis NRX and Croix LX stock big time. Bringing in more consumer friendly models like the numerous budget rods that have hit the market in the past couple years. Luckily, we've got a small tackle shop about 45 minutes away that keeps some in stock.

BB
Old 02-12-12, 01:34 PM   #25
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I'm pretty sure my Cabelas still has them, I'm about 95.8% sure I saw them last time I was there. Walker and I went to a Gary Dobyns seminar that was put on by Cabelas last year. It is entirely possible that they had some sort of falling out since then though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.