Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-07, 06:07 PM   #1
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

Default On-board Battery Charger

I have 3 batteries on board - 1 starter and 2 deep-cycles... so I'm thinking I need a 3-bank charger. However, I'm getting mixed opinions on if I need a bank to charge my starting battery seeing as the outboard does that. What do you guys think?

Also, what's a good brand to buy? I was at Gander mountain yesterday looking at a minkota MK330 30 AMP charger. It provides 10 amps per bank.

I also looked at a PRO MARINER charger. It was a 3 bank also but 20 amp. The charger had *Distributed-On-Demand™ Charging technology*. I like this concept seeing as the deep-cells are going to need a lot more charging than the starter.
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 10:45 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

A 2-bank is fine-the deep cycles are the ones that really need the charger. I have a 2-bank Promariner on mine. Any of the name brands-MinnKota, DualPro, Guest and Promariner will do the job. With my Promariner I just plug it in when I get home from the lake and unplug it when I head out-set it and forget it. They stand behind their products, too. My first Promariner went out after only a year, but it was under warranty so Promariner replaced it for free.

If your cranking battery has set for a while if you put it on a trickle charger before you head out you should be fine.
Old 07-29-07, 10:41 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ole Reb got ya covered on this one. One little more thing I would add. Every so often take a portable charger and hookup to the main battery so as to bring her back to full charge. Even though your engine has a alternator sometimes folks do ALOT more fishing with the electronics and livewells running and not a whole lot of time running the engine so the starting battery doesnt get back to a full charge everytime. Of course if you go ahead and buy a 3 bank which I do suggest your bats will be kept fully charged EVERYTIME you go out and your bats will live longer.
Old 07-29-07, 11:32 AM   #4
GregK9
BassFishin.Com Member

When you guys speak of the Pro mariner. Are you referring to the "PROSPORT" or the 'PROTOURNAMENT'?

The Prosport took a beating in these reviews:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults
GregK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-07, 11:20 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Mine is the ProTournament. I've had it replaced once, as I said. When I need to get a new one I don't think I'll go with a Pormariner. Guest or Dual Pro is where I'd look.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.