Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-07, 08:34 AM   #1
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Converting Motor

I have found a 40HP Seahorse that I am very interested in buying for my boat. The only problem is the motor is made for a boat with a steering wheel and my boat isn't. How hard is it to convert this motor to a tiller handle? By what I can tell by the pictures, it is all a matter of bolting on the tiller handle and removing all the cables. Am I right on this?

Also, my boat didn't come with a weight plate on it due to it's age. I have done the measurements and the calculations only to find out that the coast gaurd would rate it at 35 HP, would it actually hurt this boat if I put a 40 on it since there is no plate for the game warden to look at and give him an excuse to write me a ticket?
Old 08-22-07, 09:39 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Dont know about converting it to a tiller. 40 hp is awfully big for a tiller motor though.

Regarding the plate, my 13.5 foot boat would be rated for a 15 and it has a 25 on it. We used to have a 15 but it was too slow, the 25 is more like it - and nobody knows to call us up on it cause again it has no plate.
Old 08-22-07, 01:43 PM   #3
bassbooger

Thanks WTL. Not sure about a 40HP being too big for a tiller handle though. My uncle has a 90 HP that is tiller handle, that thing is huge. I have also found pictures of a 40 HP having a tiller handle on it, so I know it can be done. Just have to find out if converting from one to the other is an easy task.
Old 08-22-07, 02:54 PM   #4
WTL

I think I may have seen them before too, but I think a 40 tiller is the largest I've seen. 90? No way. Gotta be a big dude to have a 90 with a tiller. Thats like the william wallace sword I saw over in scotland, the thing is supposedly really william wallace's sword - its a 2 handed sword over 6 feet in length. Extrapolating from that scientists and historians think Wallace must have been at least 6 ft 6 to heft it, which for those times would put him in yao ming or zooker territory relative to his fellow countrymen.
Old 08-22-07, 05:33 PM   #5
zooker

boogy
look at the front of the moter. most older johnny's have a steel loop in this loop is a funny looking key hole. you put the steering control thru this key hole. also if you have johnson throttle controls you can take the tiller handle off and use them -they will fit right up..

zooker
Old 08-22-07, 07:42 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Why not just install a stick steer for it. Easy and less toruble than continuosly changing places for fishing and driving.

Lizards
Old 08-23-07, 06:17 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yes its just a matter of adding or bolting up the tiller handle and rigging the correct throttle linkage. I run a 40hp tiller on my old 14ft Duracraft and it would perform VERY well. It was a 2 cylinder that just SCREAMED. The Drawback wasn't the fear of a ticket the issue was the fact that when up and running full tilt boogie you had to remeber to throttle back to make a sharp turn or you just slid across the water. What length boat you planning on putting this on. I know the Seahorse wont runlike mine but performance issues will still be about the same as far as handling. You also have to remeber the weight issue. Bigger motor,needs more fuel. Get the picture. Ifn your boat is a WIDE bottom and/or longer than 14ft it wont be that big of an issue but still one to deal with. Lemme know what length and bottom you have and I can be more specific. The idea of a stick steer is a GREAT one ifn ya have a boat that can be setup for it and it will resolve some of the above issues.
Old 08-23-07, 09:34 AM   #8
bassbooger

My boat from transom to front point is 14.5 ft exactly; it is a trihull bottom that is about 5 feet wide. Below is a pic of what it looks like from the side. Don't know for sure about how to put a stick steer in, but that is a possibility I suppose. Is there somewhee I can look to get an idea of how to do it?

These may not be the best, but they will give you an idea of what it looks like.

Old 08-23-07, 12:53 PM   #9
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

May not answer your question but that is a nice looking boat! How stable is it standing on the casting deck n the front?
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 02:07 PM   #10
bassbooger

Thanks Leroy!!

With that wide bottom, the boat is very stable, no matter where you are standing at.
Old 08-23-07, 04:00 PM   #11
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

I have a Jon boat I am converting by adding a deck and live well and Sockets for Lights etc. And it's about as wide as that. Right now I have an old V-hull Boat and its like an oversized Canoe. Scary at times.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 04:16 PM   #12
WTL

Leroy, those v hulls arent all bad depending on how small they are. My 13.5 ft boat is an old sears V hull, its cuts the water much better than a jon, and with a 25 horse does a legit 35 mph. Thats all you really need for around here anyway.
Old 08-23-07, 08:31 PM   #13
lizardsrule

http://www.tritonboats.com/frames2.asp?cat=3&bid=248
This is just a link to the kinda boat that's a stick steer. Unfortunately I couldn't find a closeup, this weekend I'll take a few pics of mine. That boat is begging for a stick steer IMO. Basically a stick steer is connected the same as a steering wheel. However what you steer with is a stick/handle that when going straight is pointing straight up. You push it forward, and pull it back to change directions. It's mounted on the side of the boat, in your case right by the front seat. You add a electric starter, and throttle, which it obviously had when setup earlier, and you start the boat from your seat, take off and steer from your seat, and never have to change location to use the big motor or the trolling motor. I do love my little boat, and it does come in handy many times. The one drawback is your weight is up front, but with the bigger motor, you should be in decent shape getting up on plane, and keeping from plowing water like I do occasionally. That however is more of a smaller motor, and the flat front end issue on my boat.

Lizards
Old 08-24-07, 10:15 AM   #14
bassbooger

Been doing some searching and I am really starting to like the stick steer idea. I love the space in the middle of my boat, that is why I was looking at converting to a tiller handle, but after looking at the stick steer, I am leaning toward doing that. That is if I get the motor; I am supposed to go look at it this weekend, but the guy hasn't called me back with directions yet. I'll let everybody know what is up if I get to see it.
Old 08-24-07, 06:12 PM   #15
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Been meaning to get back to ya. YES this boat is BEGGING for stick steer and will take that 40hp and love it. That kinda hull design in actuality is one of the better stick steer hulls....meaning it that the boat will handle VERY well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.