Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-12, 09:00 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Calling all rod builders. Jrob, Bubba, Walker, ect.

Have you guys seen this yet? Do you know anything about the company? I like the looks of their grips, they look like the handles on the American Rodsmith rods.

http://tourstarproducts.com/
Old 02-12-12, 10:46 PM   #2
bamabassman

hey.... ain't these the grips oyu can take off and change out or something? een this on a tv show. interesting......
Old 02-12-12, 10:51 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hey.... ain't these the grips oyu can take off and change out or something? een this on a tv show. interesting......
They are made to be slid on from the butt end of the rod rather than the tip so that you can replace grips on rods with them and not have to remove the guides or reel seat.
Old 02-12-12, 11:08 PM   #4
keithdog

Those look pretty sweet. I like to see how they feel in the hands.
Old 02-12-12, 11:14 PM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am super intrigued by these. Lance at Swampland has the split grip sets in 3.5" and 4.5". Bubba is supposed to be getting he and I a set in gray to try out. I really think I am going to like these, they are kind of pricey though. I didn't know you could order them direct or that they sold rods too.
Old 02-12-12, 11:16 PM   #6
bassinbob

I did pick up one of the American Rodsmiths golf grip rods. I haven't used it yet but I think I will like it. I see their rods are priced similar to the Amer. Rodsmiths that are as far as I know being discontinued. If the handles fit my rods that would be great way to save replacing them.
Old 02-12-12, 11:23 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

I have a spinnerbait rod from Tigerodz that the grip isn't glued up very well behind the reel seat and it will slip a little on the blank when I cast. I am thinking of replacing the grip with one of these. I also am thinking of building a few rods with these as well.
Old 02-12-12, 11:29 PM   #8
Jrob78

I've got a rod that I used the shrink tube grip on, like what the Carbonlite rods have. I don't love the way it looks but I do love the way it feels. I think the golf grips will feel even better.
Old 02-12-12, 11:44 PM   #9
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Id be interested to see how comfy these are. The gray one would look sharp on my veritas.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 04:21 PM   #10
Bender

They look a little like the funky handle on Big Bear Rods. I haven't personally tried one yet on the water, but they probably are comfortable all day long.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 05:48 PM   #11
bamabassman

yes....these ARE the ones i saw. interesteing for sure. my only problem is how well they will stay on once put on the rod. what will happen when heat of cold gets to the handle. i am not totatly convinced these are all that with a side of fries just yet.
Old 02-13-12, 06:15 PM   #12
Jrob78

Quote:
yes....these ARE the ones i saw. interesteing for sure. my only problem is how well they will stay on once put on the rod. what will happen when heat of cold gets to the handle. i am not totatly convinced these are all that with a side of fries just yet.
You will glue them on like you would cork or eva grips. They shouldn't go anywhere.
Old 02-13-12, 07:05 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
You will glue them on like you would cork or eva grips. They shouldn't go anywhere.
I agree with Joe. They will be glued up really well and them coming off is something I wouldn't worry about one bit.
Old 02-13-12, 07:46 PM   #14
bcklash

I like this. What do you guys think about changing full cork grips to split grips? Do you think it would change the balance of the rod any?
Old 02-13-12, 08:22 PM   #15
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
I like this. What do you guys think about changing full cork grips to split grips? Do you think it would change the balance of the rod any?
That's one question I have about these grips, how much do they weigh. I can't imagine they would be too terribly heavy but I don't really know, they are almost certainly going to be heavier than cork. That being the case, I don't think it would change the balance too much. If anything, it will move the balance in a more favorable direction because they will be heavier than the full cork grip.
Old 02-13-12, 08:31 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
That's one question I have about these grips, how much do they weigh. I can't imagine they would be too terribly heavy but I don't really know, they are almost certainly going to be heavier than cork. That being the case, I don't think it would change the balance too much. If anything, it will move the balance in a more favorable direction because they will be heavier than the full cork grip.
I think I saw on their site somewhere that the grips are actually lighter than cork. I don't know if that is true or just something they are claiming to try and sell grips. I would like to weigh one of their grips against a cork grip of the same length.
Old 02-13-12, 08:34 PM   #17
bamabassman

ok, thanks joe and lory. i saw that they had these "glue strips" and wondered if they were ok becasue they said oyu can take off the grip and change it out in like a min. that is why i was and still a little concerned. i may be wrong on the time frame.
Old 02-13-12, 08:38 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I think I saw on their site somewhere that the grips are actually lighter than cork. I don't know if that is true or just something they are claiming to try and sell grips. I would like to weigh one of their grips against a cork grip of the same length.
Interesting, I didn't see that on the site but I honestly didn't look real hard. I am going to have to get my hands on a set!
Old 02-13-12, 08:54 PM   #19
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
ok, thanks joe and lory. i saw that they had these "glue strips" and wondered if they were ok becasue they said oyu can take off the grip and change it out in like a min. that is why i was and still a little concerned. i may be wrong on the time frame.
I think that "removing" the grip includes a razor blade. Meaning you have to cut it off, it's not going to just slide off. Anyways that's how I understood it.

Quote:
Interesting, I didn't see that on the site but I honestly didn't look real hard. I am going to have to get my hands on a set!
I might be wrong about that but I thought I saw it, or maybe it was in one of the videos on their site.
Old 02-14-12, 01:24 AM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I talked to Lance at Swampland and he said they are super light. He said .4 oz, but I plan on going down there in the next couple of weeks and I will take my coke, I mean my rod scale with me.

Like Bob said, they remind me of the grips on the AR Rods.
As for me personally, I am on the fence about them right now until I get my hands on them.

You can slide any grip on from the back side and long as you make arbors for it.
Old 02-14-12, 12:57 PM   #21
WaffleJaw

I like the concept..I personally dont like that they blasted thier logo all over them.

It make the grips look like little league baseball bats,lol

But Ill let Bubba and Joe test em...They seem a bit pricey.

I will say it looks a hell of a lot better than wrapping grips
Old 02-14-12, 04:58 PM   #22
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

They look kinda neat, but not the revolutionary product they claim. They use an excelerator to melt two sided tape into a glue. The grip itself doesn't look much different that the carbon grips and tubes we've been using.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.