Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-06, 09:00 PM   #1
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Default KY Lake fishing report...theres hawgs on the prowl!

HOLY CRAP!!! Kentucky Lake was absolutely on FIRE this weekend. After that warming trend last week brought water temps of 60 degrees and allowed a few fish to spawn, we had a cold snap. Air temps have been around 50 in the day and 30 at night cooling the lake down to 47-51 degrees. The fish moved out off the spawning flats and stacked up!!! I mean stacked up and in full prespawn mode!

There were several tournaments friday, saturday, and tomorrow (sunday). The ABA I fished was won w/ a stringer of 24.7 pounds anchored by an 8.32 pounder! I'm sure thats nothing special to you floridians, but thats a hog stringer of northern strain largemouth. Second through 5th place all had 15 lbs. +. Day 1 of a Superbass trail was rumored to be led with a one day weight of 27 pounds!! There was a BFL that went out saturday, I don't have the results yet for that. A Stratos boat tourney is going out Sunday along with a local club regional team tournament. Nearly all the fish weighed in today were fat and full of eggs. Some had red and torn tails indicating previous spawning. The fish are definitely getting active.

Baits used to catch these hawg stringers were strongly skewed toward a lucky craft jerkbait. The Pointer 112 md w/ an olive back and white sides to be exact. The lure was fished in 3-5 feet of water off of primary and secondary points and had to be in contact w/ the bottom to catch fish. Another lure of choice was the Rapala Shad-Raps in shad pattern and deep red crayfish pattern. From talking to several individuals, the shadraps produced numbers while the jerkbaits produced the bigger fish.

So, if you live on or near KY lake, hit it up with some cranks and jerkbaits. The weather may be cold, but there are some hawg stringers being pulled.

Good luck and good fishin!
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.