Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-10, 12:37 PM   #1
bassfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default WOW, tree almost got us!!

Man the wife and I were fishing Sunday evening on Cedar Creek Lake, we were fishing this little creek bank, when we heard some cracking noises, like a tree limb braking. It wasn't 3 seconds later this tree (about 2 feet across, and about 30 foot tall) came crashing down (away from us, thank god) into the water about 25 feet in front of us. There was no way I could had moved out of it's way if it had fallen our way, it happen that fast! MAN, you taken about an eye opener. The rest of the day, all I could do was think and look at every tree in or near the bank, wondering if that tree might fall on us. (I kept see it falling on us in my mind) You talking about an uneasy feeling the rest of the day. I don't think I'll be able to stop thinking about this for awhile. Every time I go to a lake again I'll be playing it over and over in my mind, wondering, what if....
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 01:05 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wow! You're lucky man, god musta been watchin you man!
Old 06-21-10, 01:23 PM   #3
bassfisher

That he was, I'm still getting goosebumps when thinking/talking about it!!

It's wild too, we had just left the bank from getting hung up. I keep saying what if, what if I had not gotten hung up, where would we had been when it fell. He sure does watch over use , this is not the first time the wife and I had something like this happen to us. May it be in our trucks, motorcycles or the boats.

Last edited by bassfisher; 06-21-10 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 01:30 PM   #4
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Crap, now I've got this image of a 70' pine tree crashin onto our new boat.......One more thing to worry about.....Thanks,
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 02:51 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

glad to hear you're ok. I think it may be time to start fishing offshore structure!

BB
Old 06-21-10, 03:03 PM   #6
tarpon120

Man I tell you it crosses my mind all the time, we fish a local river (Cahaba) a lot in Kayaks and jon boats. There are very few places a tree is not hanging over and I always can't help but notice all the trees down in the water and think what would happen if one were to fall while I'm under it, scary thought. I think this goes back 35 years or so when my dad and I first floated it and he made the comment, It stuck. Glad your OK and I guess I'm not the only one with those thoughts
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 04:50 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher View Post
Man the wife and I were fishing Sunday evening on Cedar Creek Lake, we were fishing this little creek bank, when we heard some cracking noises, like a tree limb braking. It wasn't 3 seconds later this tree (about 2 feet across, and about 30 foot tall) came crashing down (away from us, thank god) into the water about 25 feet in front of us. There was no way I could had moved out of it's way if it had fallen our way, it happen that fast! MAN, you taken about an eye opener. The rest of the day, all I could do was think and look at every tree in or near the bank, wondering if that tree might fall on us. (I kept see it falling on us in my mind) You talking about an uneasy feeling the rest of the day. I don't think I'll be able to stop thinking about this for awhile. Every time I go to a lake again I'll be playing it over and over in my mind, wondering, what if....
Bassfisher that scarey. Check out what happened in Alabama this weekend.

A Citronelle man died today after a tree fell on the bass boat he and his adult son were fishing from on the Alabama River in northernmost Baldwin County, Alabama Marine Police said.

The body of 61-year-old Billy Hightower was pulled from about 15 feet of water at about 12:20 p.m. by North Baldwin Sheriffs Search and Rescue divers, said Marine Police Lt. Michael Coleman.
Sheriff Authorities are still trying to determine whether Hightower drowned or was killed by the impact of the tree that smashed down his 21-foot vessel, Coleman said.

Marine Police were called to the remote scene, about 12 miles upriver from the winding Alabama's confluence with the Mobile River, at about 6 a.m.

"The tree fell, knocking Mr. Hightower out of the boat," Coleman said. "We don't know if he was knocked unconscious or not when he hit the water."

Though damaged, the boat did not sink and the younger man tried unsuccessfully to find his father before calling for help, Coleman said.
An hours-long search ensued. In addition to Marine Police and the North Baldwin divers, the Mobile County Sheriff's Flotilla lent rescuers to the effort
Old 06-21-10, 04:59 PM   #8
bassfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Bassfisher that scarey. Check out what happened in Alabama this weekend.

A Citronelle man died today after a tree fell on the bass boat he and his adult son were fishing from on the Alabama River in northernmost Baldwin County, Alabama Marine Police said.

The body of 61-year-old Billy Hightower was pulled from about 15 feet of water at about 12:20 p.m. by North Baldwin Sheriffs Search and Rescue divers, said Marine Police Lt. Michael Coleman.
Sheriff Authorities are still trying to determine whether Hightower drowned or was killed by the impact of the tree that smashed down his 21-foot vessel, Coleman said.

Marine Police were called to the remote scene, about 12 miles upriver from the winding Alabama's confluence with the Mobile River, at about 6 a.m.

"The tree fell, knocking Mr. Hightower out of the boat," Coleman said. "We don't know if he was knocked unconscious or not when he hit the water."

Though damaged, the boat did not sink and the younger man tried unsuccessfully to find his father before calling for help, Coleman said.
An hours-long search ensued. In addition to Marine Police and the North Baldwin divers, the Mobile County Sheriff's Flotilla lent rescuers to the effort

That right there, almost makes ya want to ware our PFD all the time, doesn't it?
Old 06-21-10, 05:17 PM   #9
bcklash

Quote:
That right there, almost makes ya want to ware our PFD all the time, doesn't it?
I wear one all the time, even on my deck boat and I have never ever fallen in. OH JEEZ why did I say that. Although the BassinBandit only wears his when we are in his bass boat and it's going mock 1. He's 29 yrs old and I can't make wear it, but he knows to wear his pfd and the kill switch hooked up he's driving his boat. He doesn't want to try this old fart, not that he would (he would stomp a mudhole in me). He knows when I'm serious about something and this is something I'm serious about.

PEOPLE PLEASE WEAR YOUR PFDS

ok I'm through
Old 06-21-10, 06:07 PM   #10
ragman
BassFishin.Com Member

Glad you and your wife OK - this could have been me I also fish Cedar Creek.
ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 07:36 PM   #11
rangerryan

Sooooo............ if a tree falls and noone is around does it still make a sound.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 07:40 PM   #12
rangerryan

i hope this does not cause dendrophobia. im glad youre ok. ive wondered if this has ever happened.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 11:42 PM   #13
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerryan View Post
Sooooo............ if a tree falls and noone is around does it still make a sound.
No, but it makes one heck of a vibration.

Glad it's just a story with no damage or harm.
Old 06-22-10, 12:26 AM   #14
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Glad it went the other way man. I can see how that would make you uneasy.
Old 06-22-10, 02:51 AM   #15
1/4 stick

Glad it missed you. Sounds like one of those moments when all you can do is stand there and stare at what just missed hitting you.
Old 06-22-10, 11:33 AM   #16
Justin2729

Quote:

And this is why i love and hate cedar creek and the size limit is tough! glad you guys are ok man.
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 04:14 PM   #17
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

That's so strange. I was fishing a small lake yesterday and heard a noise like a huge fish breaking water. Not a minute later I hear another loud cracking noise. A tree across the lake fell over. It didn't land in the water and it was nowhere near me but it left a clearing in the tree line. Guess I'll be looking out for falling trees for a while.
Old 06-23-10, 09:18 AM   #18
bassfisher

The wife and I love Cedar, the bass, crappies, sunfish and the cats, heck we eat them all. (just not the bass from Cedar, I don't keep LARGE bass, anything over 18" goes back into the water to grow more) I know the cove in which I got my PB the 22 incher, the three trees I had to go into to get her out, are gone and I keep seeing trees missing. So ya never know, and with Cedar being 7 years old, I guess it's time for them to start falling.

For those that fish Cedar, did you know they have a web site??

http://cedarcreeklakeoutfitters.com/ Randy the guy who runs the shop, is a great guy!! Heck even the fish/game, and the biologist are the nicest guys to chat with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.