Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-07, 05:06 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Fishing Line

I'm not really new to fishing, I'm 16 and been fishing all my life, but I AM new to bass fishing. I just recently bought myself a baitcasting rod and reel, and lots of new bass baits. I grew up fishing on spinning tackle and STREN Original Mono. Now I have been looking at a Super line and needed some opinions on some good stuff. I think I've narrowed it down to 3 by using customer reviews on Cabelas and BassPro websites.

-Berkley Firelien
-STREN Super Braid
-Shakespeare Ugly Braid

I need some advice on which to get. Give me your opinions on the three or recommend others. Thanks, I appreciate the help!
BigBassin144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 05:24 PM   #2
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ever hear of power pro? You will never want another line after using that. 50 pound line the same dia as 12 pound.It's worth checking it out.I have been using it for the last 10 years and will never switch.
Old 07-17-07, 05:32 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Thanks, I'll add that to the list of lines to ask the guys at the store.
Old 07-17-07, 07:00 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

POWERPRO POWERPRO POWERPRO!!!! You cant go wrong. I use 20lb Powerpro and have never had anything break it before. I have also never re-spooled. Its a tad bit pricy, but well worth the money. Just remember to use the Palomor Knot and to give it a good week to 2 weeks of fishing to bring it up to its full potential, like a lot of things, it needs some breaking in.
Old 07-17-07, 08:20 PM   #5
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i recomend western filament tuf-line XP its $20 for 300 YDS. i tried power pro once, cause the store didnt have any tuf-line and i desperatly needed line, i dunno if i just got a bad spool or what, but it bunced up like line twist a lot and it also cut thru itself a few times, im never using it again. just my opinion i know many people swear by it but i hate it, it also loses its color really fast.
Old 07-17-07, 08:29 PM   #6
bassfisher02

The loss of color is a good thing, it helps it blend into the underwater surrounds [given that by loss of color you mean it turns to a faded green color]. But indeed it sounds like you got a bad spool, i've put my line through hell, even saltwater fish with it, and havent had any troubles.
Old 07-17-07, 08:34 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I switched to Powerpro from spiderwire several years back and have no complaints-it has served me well. Dodgeguy says that Suffix braid is good line, too. I haven't tried it but if Dodge says it is good line that is good enough for me.
Old 07-20-07, 10:34 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Thanks for the imput you guys. I have another thread like this on another website and I've gotten the same response about powerpro. I have also gotten good word about Fireline and Firline Crystal.

Which is better:
-PowerPro
-Fireline
-FirelineCrystal

Now I'm even more confused and still have three line to choose from...
Old 07-20-07, 01:12 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Still going with Powerpro. But i'm sure the others are good as well.
Old 07-20-07, 07:50 PM   #10
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It's really a personal preference thing. I've tried a few different braids, and they all perform well, but I generally end up back at Powerpro cuz it is cheaper than the others, and seems to be a bit limper to me.
Old 07-20-07, 09:04 PM   #11
bassfisher02

Another thing to note, I went out and bought some more Powerpro today, and they are the only brand that I know of that has the EZspool feature. Basically the way the box is and how its set up makes it really easy to spool up by yourself. Its a nice feature to add onto a great fishing line. The best thing, they dont add on to the price for it. I bought 30lb 150yds today for $12 and some change.
Old 07-20-07, 09:18 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Thanks for the imput you guys. I have another thread like this on another website and I've gotten the same response about powerpro. I have also gotten good word about Fireline and Firline Crystal.

Which is better:
-PowerPro
-Fireline
-FirelineCrystal

Now I'm even more confused and still have three line to choose from...

You'll want to keep that spinning gear, it will come in real handy also The Fireline would be better on the spinning gear IMO, and the Powerpro would be better for the baitcaster. Now both will work, and I use both. They really are 2 different animals. Powerpro is a braid, whereas Fireline is a Fused line. I would recoomend not getting a Ugly Stick for Bass fishing. Go with something a little stiffer. The only thing I would ever use a Ugly stick for in Bass fishing is perhaps cranking, and that would be only if I was forced to. They make a dependable rod, that you can twist into a pretzel wiothout it breaking, but sensitivity and backbone are much more important in Bass fishing, and Ugly sticks don't have those traits. They are a great kid rod, because you can't break them, but truly you want different rod for bass fishing IMHO. Another suggestion is to make sure you have some stout pliers, or good handle of some sort. You will get hung up, and you want to wrap both of those lines around something solid instead of your hand or wrenching your rod around. They are tough, and you need to pull straight back with as little pressure as possible put on your rod. They can damage the spool on baitcasters(warp them). And can bend your spinning reel up some. Both of these damages are rare, but you will not be happy if they happen to you. Good fishing, now go catch some bass.

Lizards
Old 07-20-07, 09:51 PM   #13
JB

Talking

I'm stickin' with power pro after the recommendation from lizards a few years ago. It makes even a skeeter landing on your line feel like some one whacked ya with a hammer, imagine what a fish suckin' it in will feel like...ya dont miss many hits on this stuff. I've used it for all applications and love it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 10:27 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Well Thanks for all the help you guys. I ordered a Spool of 20lb. moss green powerpro line from BPS today. Hope it comes soon.
Old 07-22-07, 04:54 AM   #15
islandbass

Dang, I chimed in too late. Since you are new to using braid, you just might experience some of braid's inherent traits such as "line dig" The thinner the diameter of the braid, the more this can be a problem for those with little or no experience. I would recommend for new users to select at least 30# braid or better yet, a higher # test.

This line dig for a beginner can be enough for them to think that braid is crap and sign off to not use braid in the future. Given its thin diameter, the line can "dig" into itself on the spool when the angler exerts enough force with rod, reel, and line. Common times this will happen are:

1) When an angler attempts to free a snag with the rod and reel. Pulling to free a snag with the rod and reel with a lot of force will make the line on top of the spool dig into the line below it. It will not be noticed until the next cast is made. The cast will go out for about 10-20 feet and just about stop. If it were a fairly hard cast, there could be enough energy to create a minor overrun. This scenario is more common when throwing lighter weights. Heavier baits, usually can bust through the line dig with a hard cast.

Solution: When freeing a snag, work with enough line to remove the rod and reel from the snag removing equation. Working directly with the line ensures that the line on the spool will not dig into itself.

2) Pulling line off with a tight drag can also cause line dig.

Solution: If you have to pull line off after a cast, make sure the reel is still in free spool (i.e., don't turn the crank handle yet) and pull off your line. If you get a hit on the fall, place your thumb on the spool to serve as your drag and brake. This will enable you to set the hook even if the reel's spool is still disengaged.

Be careful when handling braid with your bare hands. Because it doesn't stretch much (yes, it does stretch. it does not have true zero stretch) it will easily dig into human skin when taut. When I am trying to free a snag, I use my caribeaner or a pair of pliers to make a few raps with the braid and pull on the line to free it. If it won't budge, cut the line. It can be very difficult to break.

With all these things in mind, you should be able to do fine with 20# ppro now that you know what to do.

Oh, yeah. I also highly recommend ppro too.
Old 07-22-07, 08:38 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'm stickin' with power pro after the recommendation from lizards a few years ago. It makes even a skeeter landing on your line feel like some one whacked ya with a hammer, imagine what a fish suckin' it in will feel like...ya dont miss many hits on this stuff. I've used it for all applications and love it.

I LOVE YOU MAN!!

Lizards
Old 07-23-07, 12:32 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Quote:
Be careful when handling braid with your bare hands. Because it doesn't stretch much (yes, it does stretch. it does not have true zero stretch) it will easily dig into human skin when taut. When I am trying to free a snag, I use my caribeaner or a pair of pliers to make a few raps with the braid and pull on the line to free it. If it won't budge, cut the line. It can be very difficult to break.
Thx, I Actually just sliced my finger open yesterday tying a knot in 12# mono! dang, does that hurt... It was my first time, but I'm sure not my last.

Thx again for all the advice guys. I can't wait till my line comes.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.