Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-07, 07:14 PM   #1
roadrunner
BassFishin.Com Member

Default bass flies

i went through a phase of fishing were i tried fly fishing. i had no luck with it so i threw all the fly tying stuff in a box and put the rod back on the rack. then the other day i went to a pond were i had seen the blue gill feeding and i broke out the old fly rod. i was fishing a small wet fly when a bass inhaled it. this was the first fish i had ever caught on a fly rod so it was very exciting. i also caught a huge blue gill. what i need to know is what is a good bass/bluegill fly that i can tie? and when would you all use a fly instead of regular tackle?
roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 07:11 AM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

RR,

Since you obviously have a 'puter and access to the Internet, why not maximize those capabilities?
For instance, I typed in "Flyfishing for Largemouth Bass" and guess what I got.

http://www.thefishfinder.com/members...ng/flybass.htm

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's not that I, or any other members am/ are unwilling to help. It just happens that dedicated sites will most likely be more informative and NOT cloud your mind with conflicting ideas and advice.
Sadly, we DO have some folks here (I TRY not to be one, but sometimes, well...) who will "instruct" on each and every facet of fishing, from boats to baits, from brands of reels to brands of beer. Some are dead-on, others not so. Some simply quote the writings they've gleaned from the net or magazines but may seldom (if ever,) successfully employ whatever tactics they "advise" on.
But hey, that's what a forum is for, and I consider them all to be good guys.
I admit I don't always have the answers re a certain tactic/lure/type of water/whatever, and if I DO venture an opinion, it's in the most general of terms. Heck, I RARELY have the answer!

Now that I've precipitated on your processional (see: raining on one's parade.) let me lighten up a bit.
Please do pursue flyfishing for any species you can access. It is one of the most rewarding forms of angling one can enjoy.
I'll never forget my "personal best" Largemouth and the main reason is that I caught her (and released) on a fly rod.
Over my too-many years I've enjoyed many a meal of nice panfish caught on flies or "bugs".
Better yet, when you're flyfishing you look good even if you're not catching a darned thing! Chicks will stop to watch...maybe chat...maybe...

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 08:59 AM   #3
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
i went through a phase of fishing were i tried fly fishing. i had no luck with it so i threw all the fly tying stuff in a box and put the rod back on the rack. then the other day i went to a pond were i had seen the blue gill feeding and i broke out the old fly rod. i was fishing a small wet fly when a bass inhaled it. this was the first fish i had ever caught on a fly rod so it was very exciting. i also caught a huge blue gill. what i need to know is what is a good bass/bluegill fly that i can tie? and when would you all use a fly instead of regular tackle?

Trying going full code a couple of times and it will hook you on fly fishing..

Full code is no spinning or bait casting tackle on board for a full day..

Capt Mike
Old 07-11-07, 01:25 PM   #4
BassBoySouth
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been wanting to get in to blue gill flyfishing. I have never used a flyrod. Any suggestions on what to look for?
BassBoySouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-07, 03:08 PM   #5
3dkicker

Bugs. Plain and simple. Poppers or flies that look like bugs.

Back in the day when we used to eat bass (sorry if anyone is offended) we'd check out what they were eating and always find partially digested bugs in the stomach. Sometimes it was all that we'd find.
Old 07-11-07, 05:26 PM   #6
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yeah but you want some outlandish action nothing and i mean NOTHING moves like the hairy worm.. and bass will inhale it in an instant..

zooker
Old 07-12-07, 09:04 AM   #7
3dkicker

Haven't we heard enough about your "hairy worm"?? And I don't think there is much interest in how it "moves"!

Good day sir, I said good day.

Last edited by 3dkicker; 07-12-07 at 09:15 AM.
3dkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 02:14 PM   #8
Mac10

A wooly worm or wooly bugger, tied on a 6 or 4 hook sometimes works wonders on calm waters with a slow and steady presentation. At other times a cast and sink approach is good. Black body with red hair tail can be very effective.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 02:16 PM   #9
Mac10

Zooker, is the hairy worm tied with rabbit zonker strip?
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 04:17 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use my Grandpa's 40-year-old fly rod and it works just fine for me. It even caught me a 25" Catfish!!! I love using small poppers and anything with round rubber legs for bass. Small ants work as well.

Hope You Fish Better Than Me.
Old 07-23-07, 04:55 PM   #11
zooker

yeah mac it is.. the movment from that in the water is unreal.. i used to use it in northen lakes for largemouth and pike.. make sure you get the weedless one..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.