Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-18-10, 07:42 PM   #1
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Castaway Rod Build

Thought I would post some pics of my latest build. It's a micro guide rod built on a 7'6" HF Castaway XP3 BB1 (Big Show) blank. I plan to use this rod for c-rigs, heavy t-rigs, some jigs and flipping/pitching.

I used a Fuji ECS reel seat and American Tackle Nanolite size 3 micro guides. I did epoxy ramps instead of winding checks and used flocked rubber shrink tube like the BPS Carbonlite rods use. It is a thin rubber that heat shrinks over eva or cork. I've decided to use cork from here on out, it's more expensive but I think I like it better. I also included a pic of a guide next to a standard Fuji size 6 guide for comparison.

This rod weighs 5.4 oz and balances an inch in front of the reel seat. Sensitivity is really good and the action is very crisp. I caught a nice 2 lber on the second cast with this rod. It is a pleasure to fish and will sling a 1/2 oz jig a mile!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0431.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	5802   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0436.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	5803   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0443.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	5804   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0450.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	5805   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0455.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	488.8 KB
ID:	5806  

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0456.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	5807   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0461.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	5808  
Old 09-18-10, 07:47 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

wow!! Jeeze, that looks so sweet with the Viento!
Old 09-18-10, 11:54 PM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I just about went cross eyed trying to line (5) 6s up. I bet it plays tricks on the eyes trying to line those micros up. How many micros are on it? Most importantly, looking at this, makes me glad I have got you and Waffle as mentors on my rod building journeys. Awesome build!
Old 09-19-10, 12:58 AM   #4
bamabassman

Just what is the deal with all the split grips guys? I mean if you like em, I understand. Great looking rod otherwise. Just that I don't like a split grip. Is this what you prefer? Just wondering.
Old 09-19-10, 03:16 AM   #5
Jrob78

Thanks guys. Bubba, the rod has 10 guides plus a tip.

Bama, I'll give you my take on split grips. The main reason they started popping up is cost. The price of cork has sky rocketed. Major manufacturers can keep costs down by offering split grips, the other benefit is people think they look cool. They also tout a lighter weight rod but in reality the weight savings is minuscule, the place you want to save weight is in the tip end, not the butt.

I personally like split grips because of the way I cast. I cast with 2 hands, I like to have the butt to grab on to. It acts as a knob to grip while I cast, that said, I could accomplish the same thing with a full grip. I do plan to start using cork more and have been tossing around the idea of a full grip. The problem is, good cork rings that don't require filler cost between $4 and $6 a inch! So a 10" grip made from top quality cork would cost somewhere between $40 and $60! If you look at your rods that have cork, how many of them look like swiss cheese? The pre-made cork grips I can buy and the grips on most production rods are full of wood filler, eventually that filler falls out and the grips look bad. I haven't seen too many full eva grips that look very good.

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-19-10 at 03:28 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 08:32 AM   #6
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
This rod weighs 5.4 oz and balances an inch in front of the reel seat. Sensitivity is really good and the action is very crisp. I caught a nice 2 lber on the second cast with this rod. It is a pleasure to fish and will sling a 1/2 oz jig a mile!
Man, that is one sweet looking rod! What reel and line are you using with it?

Old 09-19-10, 08:53 AM   #7
bamabassman

jrob, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for that information. NOW I understand completely. I looked at some of my "cork" handles and you are correct. I can see how the cost can skyrocket with a TRUE cork handled rod. haven't yet had the fiber come out of any of mine....YET.LOL! But I can see where it will in time and that ain't good either. I ain't no pro on rods by no means and I am learning from you and the others that are making rods. Please keep up the good work and share this type of information as often as you can. This is what helps us ol guys out a lot when it comes to knowing QUALITY products. Again, I tip my cap to you buddy.
Old 09-19-10, 09:46 AM   #8
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Awesome build JRob!!!

I own a number of rods that have a full grip, but I really prefer the split grip.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 12:12 PM   #9
Jrob78

Thanks Harvey and Cam, I appreciate the kind words! Harvey, the reel is a Daiwa Viento and the line is Berkley Fireline Braid. The reel has the twitching bar which I will probably never use. I think the retail price on the reel was $200 or $249, I don't remember. I got it on sale for $97 a few months ago, being a fan of Daiwa reels I couldn't pass it up.

Bama, I'm glad I could help answer your questions. That's what this site is all about and what makes it so great. People here are so willing to share information in the areas that they are experts. I'm happy to be a part of that!
Old 09-19-10, 02:49 PM   #10
bamabassman

jrob... I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU BUDDY. Like I have said so many times before. This is the BEST SITE ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB! and YOU are a BIG part of it too my friend.
Old 09-19-10, 06:32 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Joe, that thing looks GREAT!

I love it with the Viento.

BB
Old 09-20-10, 10:16 AM   #12
WaffleJaw

This rod is even sweeter in person!...Awesome work Joe.
Old 09-20-10, 05:25 PM   #13
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I I like to have the butt to grab on to.
So, you're saying you're a "butt" man?

Sorry, man....I couldn't believe somebody else hasn't pointed that out already....
Old 09-20-10, 05:28 PM   #14
Jrob78

I love a lady with a nice "butt to grab on to!" Don't you??

Nice catch
Old 09-20-10, 10:07 PM   #15
bamabassman

Always been a "butt" man myself. Just saw that myself MB. Getting old ain't I? hahaha!
Old 09-21-10, 07:34 AM   #16
bassboogieman

Quote:
jsut what is the deal with all the split grips guys
I totally understand that comment because I FELT exactly the same way and resisted the split grip for a couple of years. Now, it's getting harder to find a full cork handle. I cast two handed a lot, especially with treble hooked baits because I had a trap hang on the rod tip once and it took the rod out of my hand and to the bottom of Kerr Reservoir.
So, back to the handle - I've gone to the split grip basically because it's what was available on the rods I wanted when I decided to upgrade my rods last winter. I was very close to changing brands because of the split grips, but looking at comparable options the only rod I found with full grips were G. Loomis, and I'm one of the RARE anglers that isn't a fan of Loomis rods, so I stayed within my brand and within a couple weeks - AMAZINGLY, I came to like and now actually prefer the split grip. I've gotten accustomed to the feel of the handle, and casting two handed feels just fine with the short butt piece. There is a slight reduction in weight with the split handle, but that has made my current rods slightly tip heavy - it's not a problem, but it's a slightly different feel than the full cork handle rods I used previously. But as with the feel of the handle, I've gotten used to it and don't really notice it any longer. One thing that would (I think) be a small problem (for me) would be a mixture of rods with different handles - split and full handle. I have one rod now with a full cork handle and it's specifically used for frogs - that rod feels strange now. I used it over the weekend on the Potomac, and it felt a bit uncomfortable in my hand with the full cork and I may be replacing it over the winter. REALLY, only a year ago I NEVER thought I would be in the postion of saying that I'd be replacing a full cork handle in favor of a split grip, but that's were I am right now.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.