Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-11, 09:10 PM   #1
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Burning Bass Pro Down

Just kidding, but seriously.........where is my gas can?

So with the divorce of BPS and Rick Clunn comes the potential discontinuation of his RC Lucky Craft crankbaits. A full page advertisement in the latest FLW and BASS magazines shows Clunn coming out with an RC2 with Luck E Strike. The internet is starting to buzz a little about it.

Its all rumor that Lucky Craft will discontinue the RC line, but I am having a serious case of the shakes just thinking about it.

Tony
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 09:13 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I seen an ad in the latest Bassmaster magazine that shows the new Rick Clunn crankbaits from Luck E Strike. I don't understand why Bass Pro would stop stocking the Lucky Crafts though. I am guessing that maybe Clunn designing the baits for Luck E Strike has nothing to do with Lucky Craft. Clunn has been sponsored by Luck E Strike for a long time and I am thinking that him designing the new baits for them has nothing to do with Lucky Craft.
Old 02-08-11, 09:22 PM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I doubt we will see any Clunn/Lucky Craft baits being discountinued any time soon. Even if Clunn takes his name off the baits, they will still be around available through LC.

There are a bunch of NEW LC/Clunn baits on the BPS site right now.

http://www.basspro.com/Brand-Lucky-C...Z1z11dc3#Brand
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 10:20 PM   #4
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

RC has worked with a bunch of companies over the years designing or selling crankbaits. Poe's had the RC line and Lobina (RICO) is another company he works with. He also promoted Norman, the tiny crankbaits, for a short period of time. The LC RC will just be another great bait that he's been associated with.
Old 02-08-11, 11:04 PM   #5
Marc David

I don't think they'll discontinue the RC series, they sell way too many to do that. Hopefully they keep making them for years, I'm not sure what I'd do without a silent RC 1.5.
Marc David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 04:23 PM   #6
3dkicker

Once the contract with him is done they will take his name off the packaging and continue selling them unless it's in the contract that they stop making the baits. They're great baits.

This seems similar to what happend to Jerry Lohr and David Fritts a while back. Jerry Lohr used to sponsor David Fritts and had his name on the packaging of his crankbaits. Fritts got signed by Rapala to a big contract and Lohr lost his big name and had to remove Fritt's name from the packaging. In order to not have to repackage all the crankbaits Lohr just used a magic marker and covered Fritts' name. Still the same baits but no longer have Fritts' name on the packaging.
Old 02-09-11, 04:33 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

So why does Clunn leaving BPS mean Lucky Craft is going to discontinue his line of cranks?

BB
Old 02-09-11, 05:11 PM   #8
3dkicker

BPS had Lucky Craft make the RC crankbaits so they are sold under the BPS name. The RC baits aren't "Lucky Craft" baits although the company does make them. Once the relationship between Clunn and BPS ends, depending on the contract, I would think that BPS would no longer be able to sell them under Clunn's name. They would have to rename them. Like Poe's not making the RC3 bait but it's now called the 1500. Same bait, different name. Or depending on the contract they won't be able to have them made at all. It's all in the contract between BPS and Clunn.

Whatever happens Lucky Craft does make the Fat CB BDS 2.0 and 3.0 crankbaits that are very similar to the RC's and they come in 30+ colors.
Old 02-09-11, 07:47 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
BPS had Lucky Craft make the RC crankbaits so they are sold under the BPS name. The RC baits aren't "Lucky Craft" baits although the company does make them. Once the relationship between Clunn and BPS ends, depending on the contract, I would think that BPS would no longer be able to sell them under Clunn's name. They would have to rename them. Like Poe's not making the RC3 bait but it's now called the 1500. Same bait, different name. Or depending on the contract they won't be able to have them made at all. It's all in the contract between BPS and Clunn.

Whatever happens Lucky Craft does make the Fat CB BDS 2.0 and 3.0 crankbaits that are very similar to the RC's and they come in 30+ colors.
If what you are saying actually happens, and it might. Lucky Craft would be crazy to discontinue the RC line of crankbaits altogether. I would think they will just take Clunns name off of them and keep on selling them. It is possible that there are restrictions in the contract that would preven Lucky Craft from selling the baits even with Clunns name removed but if that's the case I would think they might just make enough small changes to the bait to be able to claim that it isn't the same bait and hopefully not change the action of the baits. This might be interesting to keep an eye on over the next month or so.
Old 02-10-11, 11:43 AM   #10
CiK

I don't believe Lucky Craft would discontinue them either. I think they will continue building them but remove the BPS badge from them. Currently, you can only get them retail at BPS only, so this will open the door for more distribution avenues for LC. Lucky Craft has some awesome baits across the board; Gunfish, Pointer, Sammy, Staysee but I do believe the RC crankbait is to Babe Ruth as Lucky Craft is to Yankee Stadium. The house that the RC crankbait built!

My post was more joke than anything else, but maybe a hopeful prayer at the same time. Your best bait is the one you have confidence in, the RC just so happens to be one of those for me.
Old 02-10-11, 12:21 PM   #11
Marc David

That's a good point CiK. On just about any thread asking "What's your favorite crankbait" on bass sites, the majority is typically voted for an RC 1.5. I think it would be in Lucky Crafts best interest to not limit the RC series to Bass Pro only. I'm sure other retailers like Tackle Warehouse and such have been itching to carry them. It would be a good move for LC for sure.
Old 02-10-11, 02:03 PM   #12
CiK

What will be interesting to watch is the back and forth between Lucky Craft and Luck E Strike. Chess match in action. Apparently the new RC2 will be in the $6-7 range, whereas the LC's are $15 (pawn to D4). I read it somewhere, and can't find it now, that the claims on the RC2 will be "just as good as the LC version (pawn to E4). According to the man himself (Rick Clunn) in the attached video (minutes 4:15 - 5:20), the LC RC is the best square bill crank ever created (rook to D1). Who released the video yesterday, just in time for the announcement of the RC2? Lucky Craft did (Sha Mat).

I love chess!

The Daily Crank - Rick Clunn
Old 02-10-11, 04:34 PM   #13
Marc David

I'm more of a checker player so you kind of lost me in a few sentences

It's going to get competitive with all the new square bills on the market this year. Here's some info. from someone who spoke directly with Luck E Strike:

"OK I went straight to the source and called Luck E Strike direct today. Spoke with the owner a good bit and they were actually packaging the RC baits as we spoke. They will be in stores within the next week or so and will retail under $7.00 as well. From speaking with him he advised the bait has not been able to be produced domestically at this price until recently. In addition this is a bait that Clunn designed long ago and has rights to so it will be very similar to what we are used to with past models. He did in fact design the LC RC from what I learned and this will be the same bait in a sense. He basically wanted to get past the exclusivity that BPS had with him by having Lucky Craft produce the bait for him. He has been with Luck E Strike for over 20 years and they are starting to make a push into the hardbait market so it was a no brainer for him to let take them over production from lucky Craft. This coupled with more affordable squarebills coming out prompted him to make the change. He was not a Lucky Craft staffer from what I know or could find out. they simply made the bait for BPS. I was unable to find out if LC will still have the bait in their lineup but with a new name. Maybe a LC guy can chime in on that.

In addition Luck E Strike will be releasing a lot of models/styles from the past that we all loved in some hardbaits that will be made here in the U.S. and also the RC will be made here as well. That series will be in the $6.00 range. In addition they just purchased NeMire lures/spoons so we will see some stuff in that area on the market too.
It was a nice conversation and I just wanted to get some facts out to do away with any rumors. Here are the actual pictures of the bait and the color chart that he sent me today. Thanks"

Old 02-22-11, 11:22 AM   #14
walkeraviator

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Luck_...e-LKESTRC.html

TW has the Luck E Strike RC's up on their website now.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 01:32 PM   #15
CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Luck_...e-LKESTRC.html

TW has the Luck E Strike RC's up on their website now.
I might get a few of them. Its either them or Strike King. I am looking for something more cost effective than the LC's I have fallen in love with.

I would really like to see someone do a cross section of an LC and Luck E Strike to see if there is a big difference between the two. I can't do it.......cutting my LC in half would break my heart. LOL
Old 02-22-11, 03:27 PM   #16
carolina-rig-01

On out trip to Bass Pro this past weekend I noticed that there were tons of Lucky Craft R.C. crankbaits still on the shelves. If Bass Pro is going to stop carrying them, the Springfield MO store is showing no signs of it yet.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 04:52 PM   #17
3dkicker

Wait until Strike King gets theirs on the shelves and watch BPS have a sale.
Old 02-22-11, 04:59 PM   #18
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Wait until Strike King gets theirs on the shelves and watch BPS have a sale.
The Strike King Squarebills were already on the shelbes too.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 05:23 PM   #19
walkeraviator

I would like to see the RC style swimmin next to the Strike King square bill. It looks like these two designs can coexist... the strike king looks like it would have a wider wobble than the RC.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.