Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-07, 10:28 AM   #1
TheBossT127
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Wrong species!

Cowanesque Lake 6/30/07, site of tournament #3. As usual, I arrived with much anticipation. I was primed. I felt I had all the right lures tied on to start the day given the water temp, weather, and look of the lake. My problem, as usual, is where to start. I went down lake to a place I'd had success before. I was looking for flats that led to a dropoff, or points. I can start off by saying that the bass were not in any shallow water that I covered on this day. I worked my way around the first point alternating between a crankbait, lipless crank, and Maniac salt stick, with nothing happening. As I ducked into the cove there was a fair amount of surface activity. I started with the XPS version of a Lucky Craft Sammy in Ghost minnow pattern. I really liked the action of this lure. I say "liked" because of what happened in the ensuing half hour. I caught a couple of small bass, too short to weigh in. I was making long casts and drawing plenty of interest from the fish. I was sitting in 10 ft. throwing in to 3 ft toward the sparse weedline. I started walking the bait back when I saw a flash of green and heard what could only be described as what sounded like the plug on the lake being pulled! "Whommmp!" Chills covered my body as I thought I'd hooked the lunker bass of the lake! As I got the fish in closer, I discovered it was a musky that was around 3ft. long! Heck of a catch, but not in a bass tourney! My biggest concern was not losing the lure. I managed to free it successfully without bringing the fish in the boat and went about my business. Not a half dozen casts later, I hooked another one! "Fish of 1000 Casts" my butt! This one was smaller, but the toothy SOB managed to take my lure with him. I was without a replacement. I switched to a black Zara Spook, but this didn't draw much interest and is a lot more difficult to work than the XPS bait.
I went throughout the day without landing or even seeing another fish and ended up zeroing for the tournament. Only one limit of fish was caught and a number of others failed to weigh a fish as well.
Old 07-01-07, 10:37 PM   #2
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

dam that sucks....its funny come tournament time bass are always harder to catch...
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.