Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-09, 05:18 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rod repair question

One of my rods, Johnny Morris signature, has developed an issue where the reel will not seat properly. The issue was caused because the reel was screwed on too tightly (not by me). The rod has started to seperate from the reel seat at the bottom.
It looks to me like I can resolve this by removing the reel, pushing the rod back together and applying some sort of adhesive. Does anyone have another suggestion on how to fix it?

The seperation is at the top of the black plastic in the picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rod.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	4398
Old 10-20-09, 05:45 PM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

How old is the rod? Bass Pro Shop warranty might cover it. If not if the rod slides in and out from the handle you could use a super glue or gorilla glue to make the repair.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 05:51 PM   #3
WaffleJaw

Im unfamiliar with those rods...It looks like a free floating reel seat (two pieces)
Is anything loose or just separated?
It sounds like someone crack loose the epoxy holding it.
That must have been some serious tightening!!
Its hard to tell from just the one pic,but if common sense tells you pushing it back together and re-epoxying it will work,then I would suggest using a two part golf club epoxy,the kind that connects metal to metal...Thats what I use and use it generously....It aint going nowhere!
Old 10-20-09, 06:39 PM   #4
cassidyta

Thanks guys. The rod is a little over 2 years old and no longer under waranty.
It is not completely loose or even broken. It just pushes the lower end of the seat down which causes it to slip.
I have some of the golf epoxy from when I regripped my clubs. I will apply some tonight.
Old 10-20-09, 07:10 PM   #5
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For sure check with BPS even if there is no warranty they will honor. Id bet they would exchange it, maybe. BUT

It is a little difficult to re-establish the original bond strength at this stage, BUT picture this:
The blank has 2 bushings epoxied to the blank,usually 3/8 to 1" long placed near or at each end of the reel seat. The inside diameter of the bushing is epoxied to the blank, the fit is very tight after epoxing. The reel seat is then epoxied to the bushing, the fit is very tight. What you've probably run into is that either the bond at the blank/bushing broke or the bond at the bushing reel seat broke. Probably not at both ends. Can't tell from your picture which end of the reel seat your talking about thats gaping. My guess is that your rod has a narrow bushing and the bond broke at the blank/bushing id.

If you tighten up on the reel and create a gap large enough which allow you to inject with a syringe some 2 part epoxy then take off the reel and let it close it should hold when it dries.

Without seeing whats happening its hard to say. Its generally a hard one to fix and a little super glue generally dont get it done. The exposed blank style are a little different but if the gap closes when the pressure is removed and you can get the epoxy down to the blank with the gap open you should be ok as the gap closes and squeezes it around.

Iv had it happen when I was building rods and and if there was too little epoxy used when it was glued up that's what happens if tighten and it doesnt take a lot of force to brake the bond. That's where I learned to over epoxy so that when the surfaces are slide together there will be a wall or ridge formed and the fit cant slide. Nothing shows and the reel stays tight.

Just depends on how much epoxy you can get to where ever the bond gave way. Its more an annoyance than a real problem. Unless it wont tighten up at all. Cant hurt nothing trying.

Last edited by TnTom; 10-20-09 at 07:26 PM.
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 10:51 AM   #6
WaffleJaw

What works really well at packing epoxy in tight places is a 1'' or less .metal palette knife.Their extremely thin and bendable to work in tight areas.Find them at any art supply store for cheap.Just scoop and pack,wipe the excess of with paint thinner...Good luck

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.