Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-06, 01:20 AM   #1
Fishin49er
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinnerbaits

In a recent outting i caught my first fish on a spinnerbait and thats all i had luck on all day, now im hooked. I really liked that type of fishing. Ive been doing some research but wanted yalls input. When do yall use a trailer or do you? When do yall use a trailer hook or do you? What is your favorite color skirts for dirty water and for clear water? Any input would be appreciated, since im new to spinnerbaiting.
Fishin49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 01:42 AM   #2
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When I do fish them, I always fish them with a trailer and a trailer hook. Trailer hook, as far as I can tell, doesn't hurt, and helps you catch those less aggressive fish that just slap at it or miss it. Doesn't affect action or production as far as I can tell. Nothing huge for a trailer, usually a 3" ring tail grub or the bottom half of a brush hog or craw bait or pork. Normally it matches or is the same color as the spinnerbait skirt. I usually don't spend much money on spinnerbaits (< $2 or $3) because I end up tossen em in a tree anyway. But I'm sure your aware you can spend $6 or more on them. My advise, stick with the cheapo steel (not titanium), I've personally never seen the advantage.

Color and blade choice is more to do with water clarity and bait in your lake. For example, the lake I fish has lots of shad and is very clear so therefore, I fish a 3/8 - 1/2 oz white/black with a single or double willow leaf. If we go up the river to the muddy water I fish a 1/2 oz chartruse/yellow/orange with a single large gold colorado blade. Match the skirt color with the baitfish in your lake and your on your way.

I don't know if you know much about blade choice so here it is anyway: basically, willow, long and thin, reflects sunlight, usually for clearer water applications; colorado, short and fat, moves a lot of water (ie vibration) and is usually used for cloudy water.

As I am sure you are aware, there are many different combinations of blade size and color combinations with spinerbaits. I usually stick with the smooth gold for colorado and smooth silver for willow (shad). I'm sure some of the other guys on the site can shed some light on all the blade combo's, but I don't know much about them or their applications.

Hope this helps,

Jolly
Old 10-31-06, 10:06 AM   #3
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

i rarely rarely ever use a trailer. if the water is clear and the sun is out i will take strands out of the skirt to give it a smaller profile. just think about this and it will make spinnerbaiting a whole lot easier. flash and movement is all you want the bass to see. if they see too much else chances are they wont hit the lure. thats the reason they work so well on windy days the wakes break up the outline of it a lot.
Old 10-31-06, 10:42 AM   #4
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i dont use a trailer either,except in muddy water so that i can retreive it slower. i always use a trailer hook,but i put it on a bit different. i just put the trailer hook over the real hook with the bend fsce up,and the put the peice of tubing on the real hook and slide it down to the middle of the bend. this way,a fish has a harder time throwing the spinnerbait because the trailer hook moves with him.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 10:03 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

the only time i throw a trailer hooked blade is in gin clear water that is mirror flat.. rest of the time no trailer hook and always a trailer grub..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I usually don't spend much money on spinnerbaits (< $2 or $3) because I end up tossen em in a tree anyway. But I'm sure your aware you can spend $6 or more on them.
hmm try $17 each..

the only time i use a hammered blades are in muddy water. smooth most of the time. and i do the "Mczook" to 50% of them..

much to lasers liking...

zooker
Old 10-31-06, 10:57 PM   #6
grug
BassFishin.Com Member

Spinnerbaits are the best bass lure, bar none IMHO. They catch bass all year long, just change your retrieve spead and depth to find fish. I keep a few colors, bright to dark with a few with willow leaf blades if working deeper water. Use colorado bladed ones for shallow and darker stained water as they give off better vibe as well. Great search lure for finding where they are before switching to slower techniques when needed.

Try fishing them slower as the water cools, off drop offs and edges of dying vegetation beds. Also jig them off points and humps in the cooler weather, caught some monsters with the jig technique..

And this is all from shore, dont own a boat which can open your options even more. With time you will find this to be a must have/go to lure if ever there was one. My favorite brand is Hildebrandt, good make and easy to retune after catching a fish.

Good luck and tight lines.
grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 12:02 AM   #7
Jolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
Nothing huge for a trailer, usually a 3" ring tail grub or the bottom half of a brush hog or craw bait or pork.
Edit... Sorry, it was late and I was thinking j and p. Anyway, no brush hog, craw pork for trailer, too bulky. Bassthumb is right, they look for the flash, quick movement.

I like slow rollin in the winter or cooler months like grug said. Lot of big fish caught on that.

Oops,

Jolly
Old 11-01-06, 01:46 PM   #8
mymomisbecky

I will never use a trailer in clear water, trailer hook, almost always. Trailer, in clear water is just a bigger profile, which a lot of time you dont want.
Trailer hook, if you are fishing open water, not around big snags, flip the hook out, opposite way of the spinner hook. It helps. Remember to turn it around when you start fishing heavy cover.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 08:01 PM   #9
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mmb
turn the skirt around rig it backwards it will give the bait a smaller profile..

zooker
Old 11-15-06, 01:11 PM   #10
Turbo Rattler
BassFishin.Com Member

Spinner Baits are My favorite Bass and Red Fish lure I make my own and use a rattle on them The Turbo Rattler dirty water they do the job and get the most reaction strikes I have ever seen. A spinner bait does work all year long but so many out there to chose from I dont like the flat silicone skirts I like and use the round silicone star flash skirts they have more action in the water. What makes a Spinner Bait work why do fish hit them it all comes down to Vibrations and the more Vibration the better the results will be thats why I use a rattle. A rattle puts out vibrations and the Rotating Turbo Rattler puts a constant Vibrations and does not have to be bumped or shaken for the rattle to work. Spinner Baits come in a wide varity of prices shoot you can get them from $1.99 to $12.99 but you get what you pay for. If it gets better results then its worth the extra dollar or 2 good luck to ya and Tight Lines.
Old 11-15-06, 05:32 PM   #11
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats a nice looking lure.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 12:53 AM   #12
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

I have never used a trailer hook or trailer. I have been considering it here latly though cause I'm getting swatted at alot recently. Only thing is I've never rigged it or seen it rigged so I wouldn't even know how to do it.
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 12:07 PM   #13
skeeter944

heres the best angler in the world fishing spinnerbaits,look at how he has his trailer hook on,and just copy him.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...10_20_06-_-167
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 07:54 PM   #14
Vabass22

I just watched that video, great video. Trailer hook: always. Trailer:in muddy water, especially after a long, light rain. Best trailer: black renegade worm.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-06, 11:08 PM   #15
WIbassfisherman

Trailer always in any water clarity. My favorite is 2/0 by strike king (bleeding bait series). I've caught enough fish on only the trailer hook to be sold. That one "bump and miss fish" will have you second guessing yourself on using one. I've also securely hooked 6 lbers and was glad I had both hooks in her.
Old 11-17-06, 07:53 PM   #16
elite64a
BassFishin.Com Member

Dang guys thats all thee is to it I guess I was thinking too much into it. Thanks for the info!! I went to a pond here in Newport news the other day and tore em up right before the cold front was coming in on thurs.
elite64a is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.