Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-05, 08:41 PM   #1
youngbassman77
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default baitcast reel

Hey everyone... Just went out and got me a shimano curado 201b baitcast reel... Was practicing casting with it and the reel keeps coming loose... Looks like I'm making birds nest and stuff.... ... Any suggestions on what i should do to prevent this or make it happen less?? Thanks Everyone...

~YBM
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 09:09 PM   #2
River stumps

Let us know if this is you first baitcastor. If it is, could be it just needs some minor adjustments.
Old 10-28-05, 09:25 PM   #3
youngbassman77

River Stumps, yes it is my first First baitcast reel.... So Im still learning how to use it and so forth... I think I set up the variable brake system to the max to help it not spool out too much... Let me know what u think I should do...any technique? or adjustments I need to make??? Thanx !!
youngbassman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 09:42 PM   #4
texasnitro

are u stopping the spool with ur thumb whenever it hits the water.
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-05, 10:12 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Take a look here, ybm:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

That will get you pointed in the right direction.
Old 10-28-05, 10:18 PM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbassman77
River Stumps, yes it is my first First baitcast reel.... So Im still learning how to use it and so forth... I think I set up the variable brake system to the max to help it not spool out too much... Let me know what u think I should do...any technique? or adjustments I need to make??? Thanx !!
I own several Shimano reels, The Curado, I don't own, But I think I can help you.... Your first bait caster is always the hardest to learn, takes some practice. But first we want to get it set up to where we want to get you started. On the handle side depending on if it is a right or left hand reel, there is a small round button. You also have a star drag under the handle. Don't worry about you drag at this time... Tie on a casting plug of some sort ( A dummy plug type) Make sure your line is on your reel nice and neat with no knots. Reel your casting plug up tp about 10 inches from tip of reel. With rod pointed straight out in front of you, press the thumbbar on the reel. the plug should fall down to the ground. If the plug does not fall to the ground, loosen the small black button on the handle side of the reel until the plug begins to fall. When you get it adjusted to where the plug will fall to the ground and the reel stops at the same time, then you are ready to start casting. ( Remember! The reel must stop at the same time the plug hits the ground) Don't try to cast hard. If you do you will ge a backlask. Learn to use your wrisr. Takes alot of practise. Don't get discouraged. Good luck
Old 10-28-05, 11:03 PM   #7
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

i havve trouble using spiderwire on my baitcaster.just ask 454ss.wait a minute where the heck is he.oh yeah he is on other forums talkin about his truck.it never works anyway,i like mono or floro,but i rarely use a baitcaster,
i only have one,im more of a spinning type guy
Old 10-28-05, 11:10 PM   #8
Unregistered

Guys... I havent used it on the water... Just playing/ practicing in my backyard.... yes, I am "trying" to use my thumb to stop the spool... Sometimes its my late reaction that makes things bad... I'll just keep practicing...

Rebasser... Thanks for the link... I will try the techniques from that article... Cant wait to get out to the lake and give things a try... Again, Thanks everyone... I will let you all know if I do encounter any more problems.. .Wish me luck...

YBM
Old 10-31-05, 06:38 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I own several Shimano reels, The Curado, I don't own, But I think I can help you.... Your first bait caster is always the hardest to learn, takes some practice. But first we want to get it set up to where we want to get you started. On the handle side depending on if it is a right or left hand reel, there is a small round button. You also have a star drag under the handle. Don't worry about you drag at this time... Tie on a casting plug of some sort ( A dummy plug type) Make sure your line is on your reel nice and neat with no knots. Reel your casting plug up tp about 10 inches from tip of reel. With rod pointed straight out in front of you, press the thumbbar on the reel. the plug should fall down to the ground. If the plug does not fall to the ground, loosen the small black button on the handle side of the reel until the plug begins to fall. When you get it adjusted to where the plug will fall to the ground and the reel stops at the same time, then you are ready to start casting. ( Remember! The reel must stop at the same time the plug hits the ground) Don't try to cast hard. If you do you will ge a backlask. Learn to use your wrisr. Takes alot of practise. Don't get discouraged. Good luck

I would disagree with this setup for you just learning to baitcast. Rebasser thread explains it in more detail but there are a couple of things you really should do. First off take loose the side panel for the brakes(read owners manual) and set the breaks to 4 on 2 off. Then as you a setting the tension control knob as stated, once you get it to where it stops as it hits the floor tighten it some more so you have to jiggle the rod tip to get it to fall. This will help tremendously on the backlashes when first starting out. It will however also hurt your casting distance, but I can assure you no backlashes = more time throwing it, which means faster learning. As you get better you will start to loosen the tention knob and take a brake or 2 off. It is frustrating dealing with backlashes, and I quit using mine for a long time before I read Reb's article and used this technique. Now even after you get very good with it you will still get backlashes, so take it in stride, but not near as bad as you do at the beginning, especially when your lure hits that branch in mid air or boat dock. I also found that Powerpro Braided line helps cut down on the backlashes for me, and it seems easier to pick them out when you do get them. But read the article from Reb, and use it, it's the only reason I use baitcasters now, and I use them more often then not.

Lizards
Old 10-31-05, 06:45 PM   #10
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lizzy, Its good to see you posting again.Where have you been ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 06:51 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Lizzy, Its good to see you posting again.Where have you been ? P N J
Freezing my arse off, and not catching any fish for it I had a tourney in KY, and some prefishing for about a week, and it turned into a real ugly fat chick kinda thing You can read about it on the fishing reports section, under KY lake need help thread.

Lizards
Old 11-01-05, 07:02 PM   #12
zooker

oohh you taking a page from tommy's play book -chasing fat ugly chick's??- again...

zooker
Old 11-01-05, 07:51 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
oohh you taking a page from tommy's play book -chasing fat ugly chick's??- again...

zooker
Only after about a 1/5th of Crown and Dew

Lizards
Old 11-02-05, 01:54 PM   #14
Rebbasser

Don't mess with them fat, ugly chicks. If she is coyote ugly it can really mess up your fishing when you chew your arm off to get away from her. It is even worse if she is double-coyote ugly .
Old 11-02-05, 06:20 PM   #15
zooker

only a 1/5 huh? better make that 2 liter's ....ewww!!!! that ugly..

zooker
Old 11-05-05, 10:37 PM   #16
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Don't mess with them fat, ugly chicks. If she is coyote ugly it can really mess up your fishing when you chew your arm off to get away from her. It is even worse if she is double-coyote ugly .
Reb, I laughed so hard at that, my dog thought something was wrong, and came over. That was plain old hilarious

Lizards
Old 11-08-05, 03:55 PM   #17
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbassman77
Hey everyone... Just went out and got me a shimano curado 201b baitcast reel... Was practicing casting with it and the reel keeps coming loose... Looks like I'm making birds nest and stuff.... ... Any suggestions on what i should do to prevent this or make it happen less?? Thanks Everyone...

~YBM
Be sure that you test the weight of the bait that you are using!! Don't let the bait fall to fast as a beginner, you will get a birds nest every time if its too loose!! I also make sure I use the break (if your reel has one). The best practice is in your back yard with a jig and a bucket. place the bucket 15 to 18 feet away from you and try to flip the jig into it. ITS THE BEST PRACTICE!! Have fun and keep fishing!!

PM
Old 11-08-05, 08:17 PM   #18
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

u should try setting the drag tighter until you get used to the way the reel works. as you get used it loosen the drag.
lovinfishin9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.