Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-09, 01:31 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Dumb Surf Fishing

I guess the year was 1999, me and some other guys went down to Buxton NC to fish the Point with the masses. Day 1 was a Friday and we got into some nice drum and the stripers showed up as an added bonus.
That year there was sandbar that rose out the sea on low tide about a half mile out from the point. At high tide it was about two feet underwater and at low tide it was about two above the water. Guys in there inflatable (Kodiak) boats would run out there about an hour after high tide and slay the drum and stripers all the way thru low tide and back to high tide. They drove a big pole in the sand to tie the Kodiak boats to while the tide receded. I watched them come back Friday with a couple anglers and some huge fish in the bottom of the boats. I wanted in on this fishing but did not feel like begging a ferry ride out to the sandbar. My crew consisted of four of us so asking for the four of us would also be rude. Leaving my crew behind seemed wrong too. We got one just legal striper and one slot drum on Friday. That night I went to local boat store to see how much a Kodiak costs.. They had doubled the price to 4k for the boat not including the motor. No way I was going spend that much cash even if I had it..
Next Day at 10am the wind was gone totally. Something really odd for the Point as the sea was smooth as glass. I decided to walk out a bit to see if the sandbar extended out farther. I was able to get half way to the island and the water was only up to my wader belt. Holding my rod over head I side stepped out some more. As I turned around I saw about 12 anglers following my path. The water got a little deeper but not above my waders. My chest was pounding and I thought my heart was going to explode from the half mile side step shuffle walk. I was about 20 yards from the emerging sand bar and I was getting passed by everyone.. I showed the way out there and now I was the last person to crawl up on the sand bar island.
I laid there on my back for about 10 minutes and caught my breath and walked the rest of way to surf edge on the far side of the island. By now there were 25 anglers lined up and catching fish. I baited up and hauled a really bad cast out and the loud snap followed my cast. Lost my rig.. DANG…
I am no dummy and I brought a spare rig in my upper pocket of my waders and proceeded to retie my rig. Then I dropped my only hook into the surf.. DANG…
The guy next to me had a spare hook and gave it to me on the condition if he lost his, I would cut mine off and return it.
Baited up again and carefully cast out. 2 seconds later I had a small drum on. Released it and cast back out much farther with fresh bait. I stood there and all of sudden my line was running to the right and hooked up on a good fish. Got it in and it was a fine 39 inch striper. I tied it to my stringer rope and I was done. The island was being washed over as I dragged the striper back across the sand to my entry edge of the sandbar. I took a deep breath and entered the water doing the shuffle walk back to terra firma. The tide was running harder now and my fish was dragging me off to deeper water. Three steps sideways and one forward to stay on the underwater sand bar. About half back way my fish came back to life. It decided to swim off with me attached into the dark abyss. I pulled it back and pulled out my long nose pliers and jammed it right thru the big fish’s head. Well that solved the live striper issue and plumes of red blood came forth and drifted into the deep water. My mind snapped and it was at that moment I realized the error of my ways. I doubled timed it back to terra firma once I had set up a chum line for sharks.
Crawled up on the Point and swore I would never again do that.
On Sunday I watched the boats go out to sandbar and braver souls than me walk out there too.

Capt Mike
Old 04-20-09, 01:59 PM   #2
aikenyounggun

should of just smacked it in the head with somethin-no blood and its dead- hindsights 20-20 tho

these stories are great, keep typin them
Old 04-20-09, 02:02 PM   #3
cassidyta

Great story Capt.
I have thought about this a few times. If I am ever in a bar swapping fishing tales and you show up, I will buy a round and just sit back and keep my mouth shut. I am certain that there is no story of mine that will ever compare to any of yours.

Aiken--I am sure he knows that now, but at the time just wanted the damn fish to quit going deep.
Old 04-20-09, 02:02 PM   #4
bcklash

Thinking with your dipstick are ya?
Old 04-20-09, 04:23 PM   #5
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It decided to swim off with me attached into the dark abyss.

Super Fish?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 06:39 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Funny you should use that name.. Super Fish and Thill are a couple of guys who coined the term Force Fishing on the Bay.

I was just talking about the Force and those guys on another board.

Capt Mike
Old 04-21-09, 03:08 AM   #7
islandbass

Man, as soon as I came across the words, "...pulled out my long nose pliers and jammed it right thru the big fish’s head..." my eyes popped out. That was my first thought. Glad you came out unscathed. Thanks for sharing a great story.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.