Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-07, 01:14 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Nature's Fluorocarbon

A couple weeks ago, I started phase 2 of a honey do project in the yard when . . . along came a spider.
Actually, I came upon the spider. At first glance I paused and thought, “Goodness gracious!!! What a sight! God’s work in nature at its best.”
I spied and eyed a spider that appeared to be floating in the air, defying gravity. Naturally, you and I know it was suspended on its web, but that was the coolest thing. It was very difficult too see the web, and hence I thought, this must be, “nature’s fluorocarbon.” Its web was practically invisible.

Spider appears suspended in the air.
It took shots from these two angles in the pictures to see the web.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to see the tactic of near invisibility used in nature to trap the unwary, much as those who use fluorocarbon for certain fishing applications. Nature seems to be light years ahead of us, but we’re catching on.
Gotta love the spider, and although I can’t spin a web like it, at least I have Sea Guar Invizx Fluorocarbon (6#) to give me what I hope is a fighting chance in using near invisibility when I fish.
-ib
The Gist (Moral): “Nature uses it. Perhaps it would behoove us to follow suit in the art of deception through (near) invisibility.”
Old 10-29-07, 06:36 PM   #2
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Great post IB! It's people like you that turn on the afterburners in the Human Mind!

-ll
Old 10-29-07, 06:38 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you'd like to get osme awesome pictures of the web, take a spray bottle and some dark colored paper or something and mist the web with water, and hold the dark paper or other item behind, spider webs make awesome pictures.

BB
Old 10-29-07, 07:26 PM   #4
zooker

i have a power line running to the boat barn were some huge spiders build massive webs.. problem is i have to walk across the porch in the wee hours of the morning and ALWAYS walk face first into these things..ick..

zooker
Old 10-30-07, 09:26 PM   #5
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you'd like to get osme awesome pictures of the web, take a spray bottle and some dark colored paper or something and mist the web with water, and hold the dark paper or other item behind, spider webs make awesome pictures.

BB
For a better picture, use an aerosol can and a lighter......I'm highly anti-spider, they're the only thing that bothers me. I'll swim near sharks, grab gators, grab/shoot snakes, whatever you want, but I'll only go near a spider if I have to, and then just to kill it.....Worst is during bow season after a heavy rain, they're everywhere in the woods I hunt....
Old 10-31-07, 01:13 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

Not to freak you out, but people who study insects, spiders, etc say that during your average day-to-day life, you're never more than 6 feet from a spider of some kind. Maybe tiny ones the size of a pinhead, but they're ALWAYS THERE!!!!!!!
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-07, 04:15 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Not to freak you out, but people who study insects, spiders, etc say that during your average day-to-day life, you're never more than 6 feet from a spider of some kind. Maybe tiny ones the size of a pinhead, but they're ALWAYS THERE!!!!!!!
That's true, also another creepy spider fact is that the average human will unconciously eat 11 spider during their lifetime. This is during their sleep because spiders like moist places and, of course, your mouth is a moist place...

But spiders are very benificial. There is estimated to be at least around 500 spiders per acre of land. So in a five acre feild its around 2500 spiders. Each spider is estimated to eat about 100 insect per year (a lot of which are pests like mosquitos). so 2500 spiders on a 5 acre feild times 100 insect per year is 250,000 insect per year eaten out of that 5 acre feild. It's amazing when you think about it.
Old 11-03-07, 12:16 PM   #8
flbassman

I appreciate those lovely pieces of trivia, Mississippi and bigbassin...
Old 11-04-07, 03:30 AM   #9
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
Then I'll add another. Spider web is one of the strongest materials, stronger even than steel on a pound for pound basis.
Old 11-05-07, 02:50 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
An endless supply of useless information...just one more service I offer...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.