Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-09, 07:40 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Spinning Reel Suggestions.

My dad, kingfish, is looking for a new spinning reel. He bought an Abu Cardinal 102 while at the Guntersville gathering last year, but he doesn't like it. We've been talking to some people (at BPS and a girl at a local tackle shop) and gotten two recomendation: Shimano and Pflueger.

I bought a Shimano Sahara for my dropshot rod, and was kind of disappointed in it. The line (Fireline) doesn't lay flat at all. The person we talked to at BPS told me to respool it, but I've pulled all the line off while walking down my driveway and reeled it back on. it didn't help.

I personally like the Abu reels. I think they're smooth, the line lays good, and the price is right. The other suggestion we got was the Pflueger president. Holding this one in the store, it was VERY smooth. the only tihng is, the sizes on the pflueger reels seem off compared to other companies. Is it?

I've I also looked at Daiwa reels at BPS. Especially the Exceller. My dad doesn't want to spend over 100 bucks, and iwll probably buy the reel from eBay anyways, but does anyone have any suggestions?

BB
Old 01-21-09, 07:45 PM   #2
bamabassman

MITCHELL REELS!!! nuff said.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 08:15 PM   #3
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Pflueger Supreme. Should be able to find one for $75-85 bucks. Great reel, though weighty...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 08:28 PM   #4
Nitro 640
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like Shimano. I also use fireline on my poles and never have any issues. Did you spool in on in the right direction?
Iam looking at this one http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...001000_100-1-2

Could be wrong since I have never had a real expensive reel yet.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 08:52 PM   #5
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The best bang for your buck is the Team Daiwaź TD-Pro Spinning Reel which is on sale at BPS from $119.99 to $99.99

Old 01-22-09, 12:03 AM   #6
Rebbasser

BB, I like the Shimano symetre. Won't break the bank and a great reel. While I haven't tried it I've heard nothing but positive about the rear drag model.
Old 01-22-09, 02:02 AM   #7
islandbass

BB,

Reb's recommendation on the Symetre is spot on, either the newer version that is $99.00. I have the previous version and it is awesome. I learned from a Shimano employee that the new Stradic was designed to excel with braid in optimally laying the line onto the spool. It doesn't mean that the Symetre or Saros suck, it's just that the new Stradic better suited to braid and even the other lines. I am not surprised you are disappointed in the Sahara. I will tell you that at Shimano's next tier, the Symetre, you will not be disappointed.

Lastly, go with the front drag. Nothing wrong with rear, but I think what it offers to fisherman just isn't needed in bass fishing.
Old 01-22-09, 08:16 AM   #8
BigBassin144

thanks guys, I was originally planning to get the symetre, but I decided to go with the Shimano Crucial dropshot rod (which I'm glad I did) instead of the other, cheaper one I was going to get. So I didn't have enough money for the symetre.

Thanks again,
BB
Old 01-22-09, 08:35 AM   #9
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
BB,

Reb's recommendation on the Symetre is spot on, either the newer version that is $99.00. I have the previous version and it is awesome. I learned from a Shimano employee that the new Stradic was designed to excel with braid in optimally laying the line onto the spool. It doesn't mean that the Symetre or Saros suck, it's just that the new Stradic better suited to braid and even the other lines. I am not surprised you are disappointed in the Sahara. I will tell you that at Shimano's next tier, the Symetre, you will not be disappointed.

Lastly, go with the front drag. Nothing wrong with rear, but I think what it offers to fisherman just isn't needed in bass fishing.
I use both a Shimano Symetre and a Stradic, and find them to preform and feel exactly the same. Now that's just me. I'm tough on my equipment and neither has let me down yet. My 3rd spinning setup is a Daiwa Capricorn which I love as well.

One question to those that use rear drags, why? Front drags are smooth, precise, and very easy to adjust on the fly. They're also a snap to dissassemble for cleaning & lubing. I've heard that a rear drag is a real bear to work on. They also make the reels longer and somewhat heavier.

Last edited by Joel; 01-22-09 at 11:11 AM.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 11:03 AM   #10
Nitro 640
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
One question to those that use rear drags, why? Front drags are smooth, precise, and very easy to adjust on the fly. They're also a snap to dissassemble for cleaning & lubing. I've heard that a rear drag is a real bear to work on. They also make the reels longer and somewhat heavier.
I like them so when your fighting the fish you just hit the fighting drag to the side you need. More or less. Think it's just what people like best. I have front and rear and like both. I will say with my front drag I will it had a fighting drag when I get a big smallie on the line.
Nitro 640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 09:08 PM   #11
ronniek524
BassFishin.Com Member

I use

shimano stradic: awesome reel, but maintenance is a pain. Too many parts on the reel. customer service is great too $ 110~ 150

daiwa exceller: awesome reel, cheap, smooth, love these, I personally own 4 of these- one is JDM version CY2500. spare spool: 9.00~15.00

daiwa steez: no coment, can't beat that, but only use it on tourneys...

I tried other reels: never became fond of it.

So my personal best is exceler reel (JDM best), it has a little button on the handle that the exceller don't have. Used: 30.00, new +/- 80.00
ronniek524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 09:30 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

Wave Reel

Capt Mike
Old 01-22-09, 09:45 PM   #13
BigBassin144

thanks guys.

Right now, I've got my search for a new one narrowed down to. (well sorta...)
Abu Garcia Soron STX (I bit more than Iwanted to spend tohugh.)
Shimano Symetre (the top of what I wanted to spend)
Daiwa Exceller
Pflueger President or Supreme...

Ok, so it's not narrowed down that much, but oh well...

And my dad I think is set on getting a Pflueger.

Thanks again for the help guys.

BB
Old 01-24-09, 08:35 PM   #14
Captmikestarrett

One more time with gusto... Wave Reel

It is very different.

So far it has held up to all kinds of punishment.

Capt Mike
Old 01-24-09, 09:24 PM   #15
bcklash

I have a pflueger supreme and love it -- it is the best spinning reel I've used.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.