Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-08, 10:44 AM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default the spinning reel twist debate

every one talks about closing the bail by hand to prevent line twist. keep in mind braid, mono,and floro are a textile-like cotton or polyester- my good friend forrest told me this in a recent discussion on the line twist debate. forrest is every bit of 65 years old and a legendary salt water angler

"First, I need to introduce my credentials on this subject-- My lifetime occupation has been dealing with industrial water treatment. In the early 70's me and another idiot ( he was the smart one) held a novelty process patent for the development of chemical additives injected into textile air washer and humidity systems to blanket or neutralize static electricity which used to be and still is a major problem to control in the production of synthetic and blended textile yarns and fabric.

I am of the opinion that static electricity plays the major roll in the knotting and kinking problem. Variables are too numerous solve easily for fishing --the charges can drift in either direction plus or minus. Weather and humidity plays a major roll. Reel and rod construction components, metals, graphite,synthetic lines are all producers of current when you crank a reel or cast thru metal guides,etc.,they can produce small amounts of current--just like walking on a carpet and touching a metal object or trying to get saran wrap off your finger. All natural waters and especially salty are good conductors of current.

When I put new line on a reel I use fabric softener on a cotton ball or fabric softener sheets to apply pressure while loading reels.The rotation of a spinning reel bail will NOT twist mono( A couple Englishmen went five stories up and proved this by dropping and retrieving a lure from a window)"

nuff said

zooker
Old 04-05-08, 11:35 AM   #2
Rebbasser

Interesting-fabric softener. That one I hadn't heard.
Old 04-05-08, 11:37 AM   #3
WTL

Good, valuable post.

One thing I have been experimenting latlely with is lifting the rod tip when I flip the bail to make sure I don't get any slack loops to form on the reel. Those loops cause most of my problems. The static thing however, who can say what else I can do. I'll try the fabric sheets next time I spool one though.
Old 04-05-08, 12:03 PM   #4
Deacon
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you take off ALL the mono(leaving backing) and tie say 20lb braid(of your choice) and add a leader of floro(your brand of choice again) then it will 100% eliminate all the line twist problems forever! I also IMO find that it is way more sensitive and I dont worry as much with break-offs in some more of the thinker stuff!!!

Just my .02
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 01:18 PM   #5
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

fabric softner---interesting
Old 04-05-08, 01:36 PM   #6
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Since it came from you, I've got to give it a try.
Old 04-05-08, 02:15 PM   #7
islandbass

That is cool, but who gets line twist on a spinning reel?

I "never" get any line twist with my spinning reels.

j/j

That seems like a great tip. I will try it out. Thanks!
Old 04-05-08, 02:34 PM   #8
bamabassman

thank you zooker, very good idea there. will use the ol bounce next time. heck maybe it'll make that ol 10 pounder "bounce" on the lure. haha. really a great idea. will use it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 04:44 PM   #9
zooker

i have to amit i was given forrest a funny look when he told me too.. but he is right...

zooker
Old 04-05-08, 07:58 PM   #10
Marty

Static electricity or not, some reels will twist line regardless of what the angler does. Unfortunately, I've owned at least a half-dozen of them. These reels would twist line under identical circumstances that wouldn't twist on other reels I owned.

I forgot the details, but some years ago a reel manufacturer explained it to me, it had something to do with the line roller and angles.

I can't say your friend doesn't have a point, but I think he's wrong when he says rotation of a bail won't twist line, since that goes against what the manufacturer told me and my own personal experiences.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 09:36 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sounds intersting. The only thing I'd be worried about is the scent of the fabric softener on the line.

BB
Old 04-05-08, 09:46 PM   #12
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Sounds intersting. The only thing I'd be worried about is the scent of the fabric softener on the line.

BB

what it is going to freshin up the stinky rod box and this is a bad thing??

zooker
Old 04-05-08, 09:58 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

No I'm talking about another fish-related debate: scent. If you've got sunscreen on your hands or such then touch a bait, the fish can smell it. I'd think the same would go for putting fabric softener on the line. Just what I'd think though... and I'm wrong a lot so...

BB
Old 04-05-08, 10:17 PM   #14
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think the scent could be an issue if your fishing slow....reaction bites I don't think it would make a difference really...( must not...I bet zook has a fish on a reel he spooled with fluffy or what ever he uses!haha) but.........on the bail thing, the reason for closing the bail with your hand and not just cranking the handle is to keep that first twist that falls off the bail after a cast from being reeled onto the spool. When I crappie fish with light tackle I lift my rod tip and close the bail at the same time and it pulls that first twist out every time.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.