Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-07, 08:28 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Question Rod for Flipping Jigs??

Ok. Here's what's going on. I talked to my dad and he told me he had some heavier blanks in the basment somewhere... So after an hour I finally found them. One is almost complete, need the top part of cork handle and one more guide. Anyways I wanted to know if when these rods are done, will they be good for Flipping Jigs??

They are Lamiglas Engineered Graphite Blanks. They were originally going to be made into trolling rods. They are about 15 years old. The Company suggests them to be Steelhead/Salmon Rods.
They are 8'6" The power is MT I think (is this right? if so what would this be equivalent to in rod these days), they are fast action.
I looked on the wibsite for Lamiglas and these are $110 blanks nowdays. we have five including the almost finished one.

So, Will These Be Good For Flipping/Pitching Jigs?

Here is a Link for the other stats on the rod. the number is GSH1022MT

http://www.lamiglas.com/blank_indiv.php?id=31

Thanks for all the help again, you guys are great.
Old 08-08-07, 09:22 AM   #2
BigBassin144

I know you guys are full of opinions---er... I mean knowledge so lets here it.
Will these be good for Flipping/Pitching Jigs???
Old 08-10-07, 04:26 PM   #3
skeeter944
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use a 7'6'' Heavy power Fast action rod for Jigs and Carolina Rigs. Basiclly you want a long rod with a stiff backbone.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 04:28 PM   #4
Gatrapper
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 7ft 6in Berkley Lightinrod for throwing deep diving crankbaits and flippin jigs, it works awesome.
Gatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 12:13 AM   #5
BigBassin144

well, it's not the answer I was looking for, but at least it was an answer...

anyways I know what rods to buy for flipping but I want to know if the rod I have will work?? I know its a little long, but WILL IT WORK?!?!?

BB144
Old 08-11-07, 12:50 PM   #6
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

No, as soon as you start to flig a jig with it, it will self-destruct, shatter into a million pieces, and blow both your hands off...

C'mon kid why would it not work??? Just fish.

I mean its not the 2008 super jig rod 8million with extendable doo-dads and a portable harddrive with a waterproof mother board equiped with the standard jigging whiz-bang in chrome and copper or anything, but it will flip a jig, set the hook, and help to hull in the catch.
Old 08-12-07, 12:32 AM   #7
Bender

I would imagine that it would be just fine if he was going to use it as a trolling rod. A traditional steelhead rod is more of a noodle rod, in the neighborhood of 9-10' and very much a medium action. That is not what you want for jigs. If they have a heavier backbone then they should work. See how they compare to this chart:

p.s. if they are medium then I would use them as a crankbait rod.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 09:59 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Well my dad was building it as a trolling rod, but he said we can finish it and I can use it as a Jig rod. so I think That's what I'm gonna do. I'm looking at the Daiwa Viento for a reel so, I think it should work, If not, I guss I'll have to go troll for steelhead...
Old 08-12-07, 10:33 PM   #9
Gatrapper
BassFishin.Com Member

I think a 8'6 rod would be a pain in the butt b/c of the massive length of the rod. I also think setting the hook on a fish with a rod of that size would lower the amount of fish you catch b/c of the time it takes for the tention in the line and the power of the hook set to get there.
Gatrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 10:35 PM   #10
bassfisher02

I think an 8'6" rod is deffinitely too big, but it will deffinitely set the hook on a fish with force, maybe even too much. I doubt it would be lacking the hook setting power, unless its some kinda insane ultra-light 8'6" rod with no backbone, then it would be a doozy to set the hook, haha.
Old 08-13-07, 09:40 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatrapper View Post
I think a 8'6 rod would be a pain in the butt b/c of the massive length of the rod. I also think setting the hook on a fish with a rod of that size would lower the amount of fish you catch b/c of the time it takes for the tention in the line and the power of the hook set to get there.
First off, the rod is fast action, look at the chart posted previously, and second using 40-50 lb braided line with no stretch, it may actually be a little much power. the one thing i think will be good is a long distance flipping because of the longer rod.
Old 08-13-07, 09:11 PM   #12
lizardsrule

I've seen guys here in Florida using like 10' rods for flipping deep into the underbrush, after they climb into it roflmao. For flipping it should work just fine. I however can't see spending the kind of money the Viento costs, on a flipping reel. Be realistic on "FLIPPING", the reel has "ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS TECHINIQUE". Use a old baitcater, spinning reel whatever, but don't use a exspensive reel, use that for pitching or cranking or worming, etc, not for flipping.

Lizards
Old 08-13-07, 11:26 PM   #13
BigBassin144

My dad has an old Abu Ambassadeur [sp?] 5500. the only problem is it's a right handed reel, My dad and me both fish left handed, even though i'm really right handed. (leanred from him thoughand he's a lefty) I really don't know how he ended up with a RH reel though... I was actually thinking about the Viento to replace my Daiwa Procaster 100SEL as my everthing reel and using the procaster for flipping/pitching.
Old 08-14-07, 12:33 PM   #14
bassfisher02

I'm glad I'm amberdextrious[sp?] when it comes to fishing.
Old 08-16-07, 08:57 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Well I fish and bowl left handed, and luckily, I'm better at fishing. Much better. anyways, I do everything else right handed to maybe I could learn to use they righthand reel.
Old 08-16-07, 10:25 PM   #16
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use righty reels...lefty is comfortable sometimes but look at the pros...
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 10:07 AM   #17
BigBassin144

Most people who are left handed, use left handed reel and also cast with their left hand because it is stronger. then they switch the rod back to their right so they can reel with their left. I use lefty reel cause that's what I learned on. but I'm right handed so my right hand is stronger. therefore, I cast with my right, then I don't have to switch the rod to my other hand, so I can just begin reelng with my right. its actually more efficient IMO.
Old 08-19-07, 02:00 PM   #18
CLENSKH
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

If your right handed you reel with your left and hold the rod with your dominate hand.. And same goes for leftys. Just different arm.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.