Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-07, 01:57 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Jig Kits?

I wanted to learn how to Flip jigs. you think This is a good kit for a beginner?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...009000_100-9-1

If you got any others I could look at with link I'd a appreciate it. Preferably a stor elike Bass Pro or Cabelas.
Old 08-06-07, 04:22 PM   #2
nutwagonfromhell
BassFishin.Com Member

try the flying lure flat tube style jigs. The other day i hit a golf coarse that people never thought bass even existed in that water, so i casted a flying jig tube out there, pulled my glasses off to wipe my sweat away and when i put them back on my line was tight. pulled a tiny half pound bass out and learned a new lure for a difficult lake with no structure at all almost. i got them like 7 years ago. And i have been gettin snippy quick strikes at my little pond with it. I don`t know if they still even make them anymore. does anybody know what i`m talkin about. I`m looking to buy some more, lemme know if you see em.
nutwagonfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 05:04 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

not really a fan of kits for the most part, if you must have a kit then i would say that doesn't look too bad. i don't like kits because they usually give such a wide variety of baits that you only have 1 or 2 or the same bait which can be a problem for many reasons. i would suggest picking a few that you feel good about and buying several of them. i love throwing a jig and a jig is probably one of my most used baits. jewel makes a great jig and their eakins jig is a good one to flip, they come in a kit also but still i would reccomend buying them seperate so you can choose the colors and size you want. good luck!!!
Old 08-07-07, 11:22 AM   #4
BigBassin144

when i went to BPS they didn't carry the jig kit i wanted in the store so i bought some ZOOM chunks and some YUM craws. with those i bought two BPS brand jigs and a booyah jig. I tried them out and now i can't wait to get my kit.
Old 08-07-07, 07:22 PM   #5
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

I mean jigs are fine and all, but Im with C-Rig on this one, I'm not too big a fan. Now tube kits are good in my book, because I'll have a wide variety of tubes... But as far as jigs, well I wouldnt put too much money into them because if you are fishing them right you will be bound to lose one or two [unless you use braid, then you are gunna end up bending some hooks or pulling up some structure] so I just buy 5 or 6 of each color I want [I dont usually buy the expensive ones, for said reasons] and go from there.

Nutwagon, no offense, but golf course ponds are the easiest bodies of water to fish, and them bass will pretty much hit anything if it isnt pressured. [Once they see a lot of fishing pressure, they quickly become pretty hard to fish, but still not too bad]. So IMO I cant judge how good a lure is by fishing a golf course pond.
Old 08-08-07, 12:55 PM   #6
BigBassin144

So If you don't like jig kits, what kinds/brands of jigs to you recommend?
Old 08-08-07, 01:16 PM   #7
bassfisher02

The cheap kinds.

Sometimes I'll buy a more expensive type, but I dont really stick to too many brands when it comes to jigs. I'll get enough cheap ones that way I dont need to worry about messing them up or whatever, and on the occasion throw something of value.
Old 08-08-07, 02:06 PM   #8
CLENSKH
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CLENSKH

I fish really rocky lakes.. I usually use the strike king jigs not to expensive.. But I loose a lot of them. So I never really spend high dollar on them.
Old 08-08-07, 04:27 PM   #9
BigBassin144

What about Booyah jigs, they look pretty nice w/o being expensive.
Old 08-10-07, 04:29 PM   #10
skeeter944

That jig kit will do. I really like Sterling Peoples custom jigs, they are very high qaulity. His website is http://pcbaits.com/. I also use Eakins jigs and Bass Pro's Football Head Jigs. For trailers I thread Zoom's Lil' Critter Craw. STick with basic colors like brown, black, and green pumpkin. Just match the trailer color to the skirt color and go catch some hawgs!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 12:20 AM   #11
BigBassin144

I wish i could catch some hawgs, closest to a hawg we got around here is 4-5 lbs, my biggest is like 2lbs oh well I might surprise myself
Old 08-11-07, 12:45 PM   #12
bassfisher02

In NW Ohio there are bass in the 7lb-8lb-9lb range, maybe even double digits. Its not that they arent there, its just people all assume they arent because they are up North, which only means it takes longer for them to reach that size. granted there arent as many as here in the south, but there are still deffinitely big bass in your area. Just take SuperFluke's 8lb for example, and he lives in Oregon.
Old 08-11-07, 03:10 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

i like jewel football head jigs, and the eakins jig. gabriel spencer makes some really nice jigs. his website is blackangeljigs.com
Old 08-11-07, 06:23 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
In NW Ohio there are bass in the 7lb-8lb-9lb range, maybe even double digits. Its not that they arent there, its just people all assume they arent because they are up North, which only means it takes longer for them to reach that size. granted there arent as many as here in the south, but there are still deffinitely big bass in your area. Just take SuperFluke's 8lb for example, and he lives in Oregon.
Oregons a bit differnt than ohio though, that's west, this is midwest, no real big bass that i know of.

BB144
Old 08-11-07, 06:44 PM   #15
bassfisher02

Region and state has about nothing to do with how big a bass gets, its all about water temperature and food resource. Water temperature is similiar, and depending on where you fish as long as there is ample food resource then thats all that really matters. The fish dont know they live in Ohio, they grow with food supply and with water temperatures. So trust me, there are hawgs in Ohio.

Just check this site out, you'll see people are catching big bass in Ohio:

Ohiogamefishing.com
Old 08-11-07, 10:25 PM   #16
BigBassin144

I trust you. but I don't where to start then it comes to catching them.
Old 08-12-07, 12:01 PM   #17
bassfisher02

Well that message board is dedicated solely to Ohio fishermen, so maybe they can help to point you in the right direction.
Old 08-12-07, 09:56 PM   #18
BigBassin144

I'll check it out.
Old 08-13-07, 08:57 PM   #19
lizardsrule

Make sure you understand what "FLIPPING" is versus "PITCHING". They are two different techniques. I personally HATE TO FLIP, but love to PITCH.

Lizards
Old 08-13-07, 11:29 PM   #20
BigBassin144

I know, I have been practicing both on my 7' ML power rod, i know its not a good rod for flipping/pitching, but its good for practice till i get a better one. anyways, i do like pitching better than flipping too, I'm more accurate while pitching too.
Old 08-19-07, 07:09 PM   #21
PowerBass

Dont get kits. I use 3/8oz Grassmaster jigs, or 3/8oz Pro Model. Both work extremely well for me. For trailers- Zoom Chunk, Baby paca's, and DT grubs. Im a green pumpkin kind of guy, so needless to say I match the trailer to the jig, unless, the trailer is a sort of purple. Then It looks like the color Okochobee Craw(from netbait I beleive). That works extremely well for me. Always use scent. It is super important, and helps the jig slip thru cover better. Megastrike is where its at. For tackle- 7ft or even better 7ft6in or 8ft Heavy action Flippin stick. Mandatory!!!! Line- for me I use Stren Super Braid 65lb test. Super sensitive. I have also used Power Pro, and liked it too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.