Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-07, 11:22 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Question about using braided lines.

This is my first year using braid line. So far I have tried three brands, and Power Pro is my line of choice for braid hands down. My question is this. So far I use it for applications such as working a toad in the slop. Spinnerbaits, a weedless spoon worked through pads, or any application which involves heavy cover or a faster worked lure in which the bass will usually strike out of reflex. Line visability isn't much of an issue in these situations. How well will braid work when using a senko style bait, a jig, or texas rigged worm where you use a slow speed action retrieve? Is the line visabilty an issue using braid for these applications? Or is a mono or flourocarbon leader a must with braid in using slow action lures?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 11:46 PM   #2
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

When I do use braid, not very often, but fishing a worm or other slow moving bait Ill use a flouro leader. Other baits, like spinnerbaits, I will NOT use braid for, as it has no stretch and will most likely rip the lure out of the basses mouth. Frogs or any other fastmoving topwater, I will use braid as it does not sink like mono and gives a good hookset ratio as compared to mono.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 07:38 AM   #3
FlyRod

I too use braid with a fluoro leader for slow presentations. I DO use it, sans leader, for spinnerbaits, avoiding the hazard mentioned in the above post by not using a hard hook set...never a problem. I use the same for buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbaits, toads, frawgs, etc.
I do not use braid for "slow" topwater. I use only P-Line mono, CX or CXX, since fluoro sinks and braid just isn't in my comfort zone.
Note: If using a fluoro leader, use ONLY purpose-made fluoro leader material. I recommend P-Line CFX. And...you MUST learn to neatly tie the &%$^%@~! J-Knot to attach fluoro to braid.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 07:55 AM   #4
keithdog

What kind of knot was that FlyRod, hahaha Ok, Thanks guys
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 12:25 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

What is the water visibility? Are you fishing clear, stained, or murky water? Honestly I don't believe in the whole line visibility mumbo jumbo, unless fishing extremely clear water, and even then i'm ify on the subject. Now if you are fishing murky water or what not, IMO you dont need a leader. I use braid for everything, I dont see a reason not to. When fishing spinnerbaits or crankbaits when the stretch issue is present, I just lower the drag. Most of the time the bass will set the hook on the initial hit, and when the drag is loose it will allow the fish to run a bit and keep some tension of the hook. So honestly the only reason someone wouldnt want to use braid for everything is line visibility issue, but if you believe its a hoot like I do [and I notice no evidence that it makes a difference] than there is no reason and you would havve no problem using it for Tikis or any other bait. And braid is actually preffered for fishing jigs, because usually jig fishing means throwing into trees and heavy cover, so braid is a must.
Old 08-15-07, 04:56 PM   #6
lizardsrule

I use braid for everything "ALMOST". I don't believe in the bass worrying about the line visibility. But if you believe it's a issue than use the flouro leader. It's the same old same old. CONDIDENCE is your best freind, and if you have it, then you will catch more fish. Braid floats, so it actually can make the presentation of the weightless plastics slightly different than flouro or mono. Not much but a little. FYI, I fished a very heavily pressured pond at the beginning of this year with visibility in the 10'-12'. I caught 2 bass over 7 lbs using braid, with a Paca Craw t-rigged. Now I've talked to many folks who fish this water, and they didn't believe there was a bass that big in there. And they use live bait. It's all about LOCATION, and PRESENTATION IMHO. But if you believe the line is a hindrance, then as already stated it will be for you, but not for me. Flyrod and many other seasoned bass fisherman believe it to be a issue. I fish to my confidences, just like they do. I don't believe they will outfish me due to braid. Perhaps lure choice, presentation, or location, but not because I'm using braid and they are using flouro/mono/twine/dental floss/whatever.
Lizards
Old 08-16-07, 03:44 PM   #7
DRBASSMAN
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used Vanish (Gold) fluorocarbon line (in 8 and 10 pound test) for almost all of my Senko fishing in open water...from about 2' to the deepest holes and dropoffs. I found that, for me, the rate of fall is better than with braided line and the gold color (above the water) lets me better detect the visual twitch of a bass grabbing the Senko on the drop - which is when they usually grab it. It is very sensitive and tough line. Three weeks ago I boated a 12 pound-6 ounce Largemouth on a Watermelon Senko that I fished on the 8-pound Vanish Gold. I highly recommend it.
Dr.B.
DRBASSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 04:01 PM   #8
PowerBass

I like braid on my jig stick, and my frog rod. I use my frog rod for plastics as well. If Im fishing clear water, I use my plastics on mono. For every other technique known to man, I use mono
Old 08-16-07, 06:50 PM   #9
flfireman

Like Lizzie I use my braid for everything. The only difference is Ive dropped to 20# power pro vs my 30 or 50. Just seem to like the smaller diameter and I can still tie my boat up with it if needed.
Old 08-16-07, 08:21 PM   #10
Marty

I use Power Pro and line visibility is a big problem--for ME. Some of the time I have difficulty seeing the green line, but somehow it has worked out. Would I get more bites using a leader? There's no way of knowing, but I have confidence in doing it leaderless.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 08:43 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Yeah I don't use a leader either, although this is my first year using braided to and I haven't expiremented with anything yet.

BB144
Old 08-17-07, 06:05 PM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I use Power Pro and line visibility is a big problem--for ME. Some of the time I have difficulty seeing the green line, but somehow it has worked out. Would I get more bites using a leader? There's no way of knowing, but I have confidence in doing it leaderless.
Marty I bought a Spool of Bright Yellow Powerpro, and it's amazing how it just shows up, and is so easy to see. You might want to try it, I like it a lot, especially for weightless, line watching techniques.

Lizards
Old 08-18-07, 01:09 PM   #13
csob3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Power Pro

Power Pro all the way!! Toughest stuff made!

Casey Sobczak
csob3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.