Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-07, 06:18 AM   #1
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Exclamation New Product Finally Found!

In an earlier post I mentioned that I was eager to try the new Stren Microfuse Fluorescent Blue braid. Currently, this is the only braid that fluoresces like many monos under both daylight and under UV lights when night fishing.
Well, I had called PureFishing (the folks who market Stren) and found I could order some therefrom...IF I wanted to pay 36.99 + shipping for a 300 yd spool...without ever seeing or fondling the product before purchase.
I had also inquired of our local BPS, Sportsman's W'house, and Academommy and the response was the same at each..."Huh? Wot? Nope. Never heard of it."
I DID find it on Cabela's website but didn't want to burn the petrol to drive to Buda (too near Austink and TeeYoo anyway) in order to see it before buying.
Well, as luck would have it, when I moseyed into BPS y'day there it was! They had gotten some in only a few days before. They were already sold out of the #30 test, but I did buy the #20...32.99+TTL as opposed to 36.99+S&H, BTW.
A real-conditions field (water) test will occur this Sat but so far I can tell you this; It certainly DOES fluoresce under daylight. That's good...very good.
Also, it seems a bit stiff, kinda like Berkley Fireline or SpiderWire, but I expect it to loosen up with use.
This #20 stuff will be used as follows...all with a pure fluoro leader, BTW (P-Line CFX); On a Chronarch50MG/Team AllStar 785C for small softies, primarily 1/16 weighted 4-5" worms and maybe 1/8-3/16 oz. jigs; On another " 'Narch50MG "/Falcon Lowrider 5-167 for weightless worm and 4" TikiStiks and Senkos.; On a 3000-size Quantum Ti-Mag Spin Reel/7' Med/Fast rod for 5" Tiki/Senkos.
When I acquire some #30 the first rig to receive it will be a Diawa Viento/Avid AC66MHF, with leader, for my worm work in the 1/8 oz. and up range. It will also find a home on my C-rig and Flipping rig.
I will continue to use P-Line Spectrex or TUF (minus leader) for spinnerbaits, toads, frawgs, and buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbaits since visibility is not an issue in those applications.
So, stick around, guys, and I will give you updates as I put this stuff to the test. Hopefully, I'll be able to give a glowing (Get it? Fluorescent blue? Glowing?) report on a line that ought to greatly enhance bite detection, day or night. In the meantime, don't dash out an spend large bux on it.

FR
Director, Research and Development Branch

Last edited by FlyRod; 08-21-07 at 06:26 PM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 09:27 AM   #2
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

They just opened up a Bass Pro about an Hour from m and I saw that they had it and they were sold out of the 30lb Test as well which is what I was going for. What is the benefit of it Flourescing in the daylight? Does that just make it more visible on the water but not as visible in the water? Please let us know how this works out for you! I have Night Tournament this weekend and I would like to try it out as well if the amazing Fwy Wod thinks it is worth it.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 09:37 AM   #3
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

I grew up using Stren and as a kid was always impressed with the way the line would glow. I never figured out if this was a good thing for the fish, or if it was just a marketing gimmick-but I thought it was cool anyway. One of those things that a person with Attention Deficit Disorder such as myself, could enjoy and would help me stay focused. Are there any benefits to this type of line for the fish? Is it invisible to them once under the water?
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 11:11 AM   #4
Snake2715

Interested as well keep us posted.
Old 08-21-07, 02:57 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

No line is invisible under water. Line visibility has always been a "to each his own" type of deal, because honestly there is nothing saying fish care or dont care whether they can see the line or not. The only time I would be a little picky about line visibity is in super clear water, other than that, I dont think it makes even the slightest difference. But, to each his own. Anyways the advantage of flourescing light in the daytime is to help you see [easier] even the slightest of twitches on the line.
Old 08-21-07, 03:38 PM   #6
leroy

Thanks CeroDos, that's what I thought.
Old 08-21-07, 05:00 PM   #7
Hoyle27
BassFishin.Com Member

This is really interesting. My home lake is pretty clear and if you show up with heavier than 12lb test, everyone says you are wasting your time. Also, how well does p-line work? I've heard mixed reviews.
Old 08-21-07, 05:07 PM   #8
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

everyone says a lot of things. Only way to find out is to actually fish with line heavier than 12lb and see what happens. I cant wait till one of those guys hooks into a monster and it breaks them off, then that whole line visibilty problem of theirs will come to bite them in the arse.
Old 08-21-07, 05:35 PM   #9
Hoyle27
BassFishin.Com Member

I thought the same thing until I spooled up some fireline(20lb) and some trilene 17lb and didn't have a bite. but caught 7 in 2 hours on 12 lb using the same baits in the same area (kinda an experiment) P-line anybody?
Old 08-21-07, 06:28 PM   #10
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
What is the benefit of it Flourescing in the daylight? Does that just make it more visible on the water but not as visible in the water?
Leroy,

Fluorescing will dwindle as the water depth and stain increase, so no biggie.
The stuff will (they say) fluoresce nicely above surface, whether under daylight or blacklight. THAT is why I want it to work for me.

FR
Old 08-21-07, 06:33 PM   #11
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
... Are there any benefits to this type of line for the fish? Is it invisible to them once under the water?
Kawainsecty,

Read my 'sponse to Bad Leroy (...Brown. Baddest man in the whole damn town.)
No, it would NOT be invisible underwater, but that's not due to the fluorescing quality, but rather the basic color and diameter, as with any line.
If this stuff works as advertised, I'll be deeeeeelighted.

FR
Old 08-21-07, 06:56 PM   #12
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyle27 View Post
... Also, how well does p-line work? I've heard mixed reviews.
Hoyle,

P-Line is a brand. There are numerous lines made/marketed under that name.
If you want to get a better understanding of the various lines and their (claimed) qualities and applications, simply type in the name and go to their site.
Specific, I think, to your situation, I'd suggest you not break the bank by buying regular fluorocarbon, although P-Line offers some fine stuff. Rather, buy the P-Line FloroClear (correct spelling, BTW, for that product.) This is a high-quality mono sheathed in a fluorocarbon coating. It has much-reduced visibility, excellent handling characteristics, etc. In fact, the ONLY pure fluoro product I use is P-Line CFX leader material. For any application for which I require a non-braid line, I use FloroClear EXCEPT for topwater, since any fluoro or fluoro-coated line tends to sink and that ain't good for topwater (by which I mean topwater plugs...See: Pop 'R, Torpedo...anything with a stop 'n go action.) FloroClear is topnotch for cranks, lipless cranks, and some soft plastics/very light jig work, IMHO.
For the other "topwaters"; Toads, Frogs, BuZZZZZZZZZZBaits, I use bare naked braid...no leader...since the lure is always in motion and the bass are not likely to even notice the line.
Unless the body of water you refer to is fraught with snags and other hazards (U-Boats, Pirates, Loch Wot-tever Monsters, etc,) I'd say select #12 or #15 P-Line FloroClear and get to work. IF, however, you plan to toss topwater PLUGS, then you'll have to either keep 'em moving OR use P-Line CX or CXX.
So far as "mixed reviews" go, well, a goodly number of Negative Nellies will have trouble no matter WHAT they're using. Others are so brand-loyal they'd use woven strands of rat guts if "their" company sold it. In many cases, a buyer will walk in, find the lowest-priced P-Line product, and buy that even though it may not the right one for his intended use. That, dear lad, is why I elaborate, ad nauseum, on my own "what, when, why, how, etc," use of various tackle and techniques. It's my hope to educate, y'see.
Now, if P-Line or TUFline will just come up with a UV-reactive version of Spectrex, all will be well and I can dump this &^%$#@! Stren product.

Rotsa Ruck!

FR
Old 08-21-07, 08:07 PM   #13
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Flyrod introduced me to P-Line Floroclear and I second his endorsment-great line to fish with.
Old 08-21-07, 10:58 PM   #14
FlyRod

UPDATE!

Went out to the pool and did some cast-testing with the Stren Microfuse.

Test Rig One: Chronarch50MG/TAS 785C/#15 P-line CFX leader/#20 Microfuse/8mm glass bead (pegged)/1/16 oz tungsten bullet weight (unpegged), 2/0 Gamakatsu G-lock hook/ 4" ZOOM Dead Ringer worm.

Despite my initial misgivings I was pleased with the castability of the line. I had, based on a certain "wiriness" to it, been ready for problems...there were none. Distance was tremendous and achieved with ease.
I recommend a LITTLE bit of thumb and forefinger tensioning when retrieving on a relatively slack line. This will not be an issue with any lure that offers resistance to retrieve.

Test Rig Two: Qauntum Ti-Mag 3000 spinning reel/7' med. Falcon Original rod/same line and leader (6'+, BTW) as with Rig One/Gamakatsu 4/0 EWG/ 5" Tiki Stik with small rattle "Surgically" implanted/NO other weight.

Excellent casting, both as to range and effort required. As with the casting rig, I recommend some tension when retrieving other than under fish resistance OR retrieve resistance of certain lures.

This line feels, at least when new, almost like waxed string, sorta like high-price dental floss. It does take a coil when on the spool, thus the recommendation for tension on retrieve, but seems very mannerly in all respects. I suspect that it will "break in" with frequent use and become a bit softer.
I'm assuming the usual knot characteristics of braid will apply here...Palomar for darned near everything and the *&$%@~! J-knot for attaching a PURE fluoro leader (See: P-Line CFX.). In fact, the TWO *&%^$~! J-knots I had to tie with it tonight tightened down very smoothly and evenly, with aid of some saliva and CAREFUL attention, o'course. It seemed easier than with TUF braid or Spectrex...wow!

The acid test (Fluorescing as advertised, durability, and fish handling) will come, we hope, this Saturday. Stay tuned.

FR
Old 08-22-07, 07:17 PM   #15
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
UPDATE!

Went out to the pool and did some cast-testing with the Stren Microfuse.

Test Rig One: Chronarch50MG/TAS 785C/#15 P-line CFX leader/#20 Microfuse/8mm glass bead (pegged)/1/16 oz tungsten bullet weight (unpegged), 2/0 Gamakatsu G-lock hook/ 4" ZOOM Dead Ringer worm.

Despite my initial misgivings I was pleased with the castability of the line. I had, based on a certain "wiriness" to it, been ready for problems...there were none. Distance was tremendous and achieved with ease.
I recommend a LITTLE bit of thumb and forefinger tensioning when retrieving on a relatively slack line. This will not be an issue with any lure that offers resistance to retrieve.

Test Rig Two: Qauntum Ti-Mag 3000 spinning reel/7' med. Falcon Original rod/same line and leader (6'+, BTW) as with Rig One/Gamakatsu 4/0 EWG/ 5" Tiki Stik with small rattle "Surgically" implanted/NO other weight.

Excellent casting, both as to range and effort required. As with the casting rig, I recommend some tension when retrieving other than under fish resistance OR retrieve resistance of certain lures.

This line feels, at least when new, almost like waxed string, sorta like high-price dental floss. It does take a coil when on the spool, thus the recommendation for tension on retrieve, but seems very mannerly in all respects. I suspect that it will "break in" with frequent use and become a bit softer.
I'm assuming the usual knot characteristics of braid will apply here...Palomar for darned near everything and the *&$%@~! J-knot for attaching a PURE fluoro leader (See: P-Line CFX.). In fact, the TWO *&%^$~! J-knots I had to tie with it tonight tightened down very smoothly and evenly, with aid of some saliva and CAREFUL attention, o'course. It seemed easier than with TUF braid or Spectrex...wow!

The acid test (Fluorescing as advertised, durability, and fish handling) will come, we hope, this Saturday. Stay tuned.

FR
Is this a "FUSED" line? It sounds very similiar, almost Identical to Fireline from your description. If so it only gets better as the waxy coating wears off, just like braid.

Lizards
Old 08-22-07, 08:01 PM   #16
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
Is this a "FUSED" line? It sounds very similiar, almost Identical to Fireline from your description. If so it only gets better as the waxy coating wears off, just like braid.

Lizards

Yes, a fused line. I indeed hope it'll "loosen up" with time and use.

FR
Old 08-23-07, 09:08 AM   #17
leroy

I'm trying to join a fishing club and my first tournament is this Saturday night, if I can find some of this in stores around me I'll try it and let people know as well.
Old 08-26-07, 09:19 AM   #18
FlyRod

Update to Update

I finally got to use Stren Microfuse under combat conditions yesterday morning.
It DOES fluoresce satisfactorily under both UV and daylight and adds the advantage of better ability to detect a "tap".
The "set" I mentioned early was evident but did not have a negative effect on casting with either spin or baitcasting gear.
I only caught one lousy little dink while using it, but did pull a couple of snags free with no knot or line failures. That fish was caught during darkness, BTW, and outside of the UV's arc. Still, though it was at almost maximum cast distance, I felt him "tap" the unweighted Tiki Stik...all good.
I'm going to spool it (when I obtain a spool of #30, that is,) onto my heavy worm rig, the Viento/Avid AC66MHF, with a P-Line CFX leader, of course. I have been fishing yellow TUF braid, #30, on this rig but I am sufficiently impressed by the M'fuse that I'm gonna give it a try. In fact, unless something occurs to alter my opinion, I'll end up spooling it onto my heavy jig rig as well, replacing the #30 P-Line Spectex; Maybe on my dropshot outfit as well.

Will report further.

FR

FR
Old 08-26-07, 12:22 PM   #19
JB

Great report flyrod, I'm going to try some out before the fall feed start..thanks

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 07:24 PM   #20
lizardsrule

Flyrod,

I am glad you like the line. However if it's like Fireline, which sounds like it is. Then it IMO is not great for baitcasters, as it does dig in quite often into the spool. But please do give us a update on your workout with it. Due to the digging in issue, that's why I prefer not to use Fireline on my baitcasters, but if this works better, I might just give it a try.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.