Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-08, 11:07 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Stupid Computer

My operating system on my laptop crashed last August and still isn't working correctly. Today my flashdrive, my backup, stopped working. All my fishing photos, business photos, work documents, presentations, etc are now gone unless I can find someone who can take the chip out of the flash drive and recover my stuff. Did I say I hate computers????? Stupid computers!!!!!

Sorry, just had to vent before heading home.....
Old 12-17-08, 02:51 AM   #2
66KingFisher

I know what ya mean.....I just had a reasonably new hard drive crash on mine.....I lost a ton of personal photos as well as pictures of several of my clients custom paintjobs.....I know better.....there are only two kinds of hard drives.....those that have crashed and those that are going to crash.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 08:15 AM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've come to realize just how lucky I've been computer-wise.
My son, at that time one of THE top ETs in the NAVY, built this beast for me in the summer of 2000 as a birthday gift. He included an upper-end HP printer, scanner, master power panel, microphone, and all the software I needed, including a year of Norton Anti-Virus. In 2003 he upgraded it (2 hard drives, new chip, 2 cooling fans, 2 CD slots so I can make copies, etc,) and it's been keepin' on keepin' on ever since.
It's never crashed or been rendered useless by a virus, despite my predilection for searching such topics as "Chubby Japanese Girls Inventing New Uses For Chopsticks" and "Bored Nymphomaniac Housewives Who Own Tackle AND Liquor Stores And Want To Meet YOU!" or the fact that it's innards are coated with cat hair and nicotine.
Oh, it does some strange things now and then, more attributable to age than other influences but those events are fleeting.
Here's what's driving my son nuts: Two years ago UPS showed up with a surprise gift from him, totally unexpected; A new DELL 'puter and other stuff. It's all still in the crate, never removed therefrom. Why should I change over when all is well with this one?

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 11:42 AM   #4
cassidyta

3D,

Is the thumbdrive recognized at all when you plug it in? They will usually crash in 1 of 2 ways, either not recognized at all or recognized with corrupted data. Both may be able to be recovered, but it is usually easier in the first scenario.
Old 12-17-08, 11:43 AM   #5
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
I've come to realize just how lucky I've been computer-wise.
My son, at that time one of THE top ETs in the NAVY, built this beast for me in the summer of 2000 as a birthday gift. He included an upper-end HP printer, scanner, master power panel, microphone, and all the software I needed, including a year of Norton Anti-Virus. In 2003 he upgraded it (2 hard drives, new chip, 2 cooling fans, 2 CD slots so I can make copies, etc,) and it's been keepin' on keepin' on ever since.
It's never crashed or been rendered useless by a virus, despite my predilection for searching such topics as "Chubby Japanese Girls Inventing New Uses For Chopsticks" and "Bored Nymphomaniac Housewives Who Own Tackle AND Liquor Stores And Want To Meet YOU!" or the fact that it's innards are coated with cat hair and nicotine.
Oh, it does some strange things now and then, more attributable to age than other influences but those events are fleeting.
Here's what's driving my son nuts: Two years ago UPS showed up with a surprise gift from him, totally unexpected; A new DELL 'puter and other stuff. It's all still in the crate, never removed therefrom. Why should I change over when all is well with this one?

Lancer6
If you let it sit in the crate for another year or 2 you wont be able to even use it before it is outdated. There is a good reason to unpack it.

Bout 4 years is all a PC is good for.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 11:59 AM   #6
cassidyta

As far as storing pictures, I would strongly suggest that people put them on something like googe, flickr, photo bucket, etc....I am not going to try and suggest one in particular. For me I store my pictures on Flickr and my documents through google's g-mail. All of these services will backup the data and also make the files available from anywhere.
I am a true geek and run my own server at my house, so I am able to back up everything I have, but for those fo you who are not in this boat there are features out there that can assist in data recovery.
Old 12-17-08, 12:27 PM   #7
jmartin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I can relate last December I showed up to work one morning and started my computers up for the day and my accounting software was gone..... So i called my tech guy and he searched all files in my system GONE like they never even existed. Oh did I mention the software costs 6000.00 anyway the good news is the software company installed the new updated version for free. because they said there system was thief proof anyway long story short I lost about 10000.00 in sales that customers had charged that i never recovered there were alot of honest people that called and said hey I bought soandso and never recieved a bill so over a period of time I recovered some of it.

Good luck,

Jerry (another computer hater)
Old 12-17-08, 04:06 PM   #8
Fishnngolfn

I had some problems with my computer desktop (Dell) last year and decided to try a Mac. I purchased a Macbook for the house and I have never had any problems. I only use the computer to load videos and pictures, email, pay bills, and surf the internet. My opinion is the Mac is the best for editing videos and pictures.

As for work, I don't see a lot of companies using Macs right now because there is compatibility issues with programs that they have been using for years.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 04:10 PM   #9
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post

As for work, I don't see a lot of companies using Macs right now because there is compatibility issues with programs that they have been using for years.

Yup, And as soon as they are as popular as pc's they will have the same problems, with security.
Old 12-17-08, 04:18 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Yup, And as soon as they are as popular as pc's they will have the same problems, with security.
Maybe so. That is what everyone keeps saying but I will believe it when I see it. The incription codes and security that are already in place in a Mac are far superior to the windows that everyone has now. Macs are much more expensive because you are getting a superior machine. I personally think that the reason the windows program has so many problems is because Gates "high-jacked" it, made a few changes to avoid copyright laws, and then mass produced an inferior program that has needed constant fixing since it came out. But that is my opinion.
Old 12-17-08, 05:13 PM   #11
cassidyta

The reason companies don't use MACs are the costs. I support 15,000 desktop and laptops, 4500 printers and about 300 servers. In that group, there are 5 MACs. (All in the Public Affairs office for the creation of the weekly newspaper)
I will conceed that the MAC OS is a better user based Operating System, but their serve based software still has a lot of funtionality issues. Especially when you try to run it in an enterprise based environment. One of the reasons that MACs do not have as many security issues is that they have many windows type features disabled.
The one other thing that I will add is that when your MAC finally does have major issues, it is usually far mor catastophic than a windoes based platform. This is due to how the two operating systems write thier data to the hard drives. MACs are based on File Allocation Tables. Meaning that the computer has a single Tabloe on context for everything on the drive. Since almost all windows based computers run NTFS, if the drive fails, you can put into another computer as a secondary drive or into a $20 enclosure and recover the data. This of course is no use if the entire drive has encountered hardware failure.
Old 12-17-08, 05:24 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Don't get me wrong. I am not ignorant to the fact that all computer systems have their flaws. I personally like my Mac because of its simplicity for what I am using it for. I do understand that Macs will have their own security issues when hackers and virus writers find it worth their time (mainly for illegal profit) to write a virus for a Mac. Someone will always try to find a way to steal your money and passwords. Regardless of the system you are using, as long as you have a good reputable security program and USE COMMON SENSE when surfing the internet, opening email, and opening files, then you should not have a problem.
Old 12-17-08, 05:26 PM   #13
Nitro911

Load Ubuntu...its free, as are all of the applications you could possibly ever need. It is Linux based, so the virus problems that Windows has are all but non-existent. You can run it on you current machine, so you don't have to buy anything else. It will recognize almost anything you hook up to it. Forum support is excellent if you have problems.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
Old 12-17-08, 06:56 PM   #14
quenston
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a 120gig external Hard drive sense the last time that my hd failed. But some may call it over kill but I also backup all of my pics, documnts etc onto dvds but sense I have lost everything on my computer more than once it has taught me a lesson there is no such thing as overkill!
quenston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-08, 07:32 PM   #15
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
3D,

Is the thumbdrive recognized at all when you plug it in? They will usually crash in 1 of 2 ways, either not recognized at all or recognized with corrupted data. Both may be able to be recovered, but it is usually easier in the first scenario.
Won't recognize the flashdrive. Going to take it to the IT guy tomorrow. He said they may be able to recover the information.
Old 12-18-08, 01:30 PM   #16
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Maybe so. That is what everyone keeps saying but I will believe it when I see it. The incription codes and security that are already in place in a Mac are far superior to the windows that everyone has now. Macs are much more expensive because you are getting a superior machine. I personally think that the reason the windows program has so many problems is because Gates "high-jacked" it, made a few changes to avoid copyright laws, and then mass produced an inferior program that has needed constant fixing since it came out. But that is my opinion.
Macs are not a superior machine. You have watched too many mac commercials. If Macs had 300+ million users then there would be security holes out the wazoo. It doesn't matter what OS you run they are not perfect. Take the I phone for exampe, how long did it take for that popular piece of technology to get hacked to where you could use it on other networks, 1 week.

If you get enough people trying to sneak thru security at a ball game , some of them are gonna get thru. Even if you hire a private security firm, instead of the most popular one in town.

Are macs good machines, yes. Are they superior to a PC running windows, No. They are a different flavor of candy that is not as popular as the one everyone wants to steal.
Old 12-18-08, 01:53 PM   #17
lowrider

arguing computers with an IT guy is like wrestling a pig in the mud...sooner or later you figure out the pig likes it!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 02:00 PM   #18
cassidyta

LOL....I can not disagree with you on that one.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.