Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-06, 01:44 AM   #1
BassKnuckles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to BassKnuckles
Question bass fishing during trout season

hello to all,

i live in southern California and fish at a local lake that is only about a mile in length and a couple hundred yards wide. the lake is surrounded by houses which means that cover is mostly boat docks except for one side of the lake that is a slope of rocks that come down into the lake and offer some cover along that side of the lake. the water is well maintained and visibility is nice and clear.
hopefully this info can help you, help me, with the following sotuation...
...the lake is loaded with thousands of pounds of trout this time of year and my question is: how does this affect the bass fishing?
do the bass change their eating habits during the months in which the trout are in the lake?
any tips of any kind would be greatly appreciated regarding: effective baits, time of day (or night) to fish, deep or shallow water, and any other changes in fishing strategy that might prove to be beneficial in these circumstances.
any information that might help would be real nice!

i need spawning season to get here soon...

thank you for all your help. enlighten me with all your great bass fishing wisdom! see-ya
BassKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-06, 02:40 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well I'm far enough east that I have no idea what the specifics are, but I've heard that many people in california will target the areas where they load the stockies into the water with big, trout imitating swimbaits. I've also heard that its slow but your looking for a big bite, and deep water can be a key. But again thats all outside my element.
Old 01-26-06, 03:33 AM   #3
lizardsrule

Welcome to the forum. Wish I could help, other than repeating what WTL said I don't know anymore than TROUT SWIMBAITS for the Hawgs.

Lizards
Old 01-26-06, 07:42 AM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've just seen those huge trout swimbaits fished slow and steady catching monsters on TV. They are super expensive though. Rapala has huge lures now, I think for musky, and they make an awesome rainbow trout color pattern. I'm sure if you could find that size and color pattern you could save alot of money. Plus you can give it more action and stop and go, rather than a steady swim. I really don't know, I'm sure some of the Californians on here will eventually give alot more help.
Old 01-28-06, 12:37 AM   #5
Jeff/CapeCod
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeff/CapeCod

I do well on Rainbow Rapalas up here in the NorthEast in our ponds and lakes that have trout in them when i am bass fishing
Old 01-29-06, 05:11 AM   #6
BassKnuckles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to BassKnuckles

thanks for all your input guys!
i'm gonna go check out the local shop and see if i can get my hands on one of these rainbow rapalas.
hopefully it's just what i need to get a few bites this time of year.
thanks again for the info and i look forward to sharing our bass fishing knowledge in the future!
any other suggestions are still more than welcome. i always enjoy putting different strategies to the test.

take care and happy fishing to all!
BassKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 08:51 AM   #7
zooker

trout tend to be a deep water fish they will come shallow at times. but prefure to hold deep during the day-especilly if there is a bunch of boat traiffic. i have never seen trout in a lake hold off docks-not that they wont-i would work the docks and the rocky banks. rainbow colored crank baits. a watermelon seed baby bush hog texas rigged along the docks or over the rocky banks would work. i would not go with a swim bait. unless you are after a real toad..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.