Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-10, 07:42 PM   #1
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Inches per turn

Hello folks. Im really anal when it comes to my tackle. I fish at least one tournament a week and sometimes 2 a week in the summer. I rounded up different technique specific rods an reels to my liking. I have found that using the same reels in different ratios is more comfortable to me. Now im not a rich man by any means and i have been using Quantum reels, mostly the code aviso and kvd signature series. the problem i have with the code and the KVD's is that the magnetic control only has a free, 3,6,and 9 setting. I find at times this isnt as adjustable as i would like for them to be so I am on the Hunt for ONE series of reels that offers ALL of the popular gear ratios. I have somewhat settled on the carbonlite an the pro qualifier reels from BPS. They are basically the same reel with the exception of the carbonlite having a different handle. Other than that they have the same frame and layout.

SO heres my question. The carbonlite only comes in a 6:1 and i prefer a 7:1. My Quantums 7:1 takes up 31" per turn of the handle whereas the PQ in the same ratio takes up 29". AT THE SAME TIME the carbonlite is a 6.4:1 and it ALSO takes up 29" the same as the 7.1:1 PQ...what gives?
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 07:51 PM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The spool itself may be different diameters on different model reels. Gear ratio is only part of the equation when calculating inches-per-turn. I am a firm believer ion the Pro Qualifier line of reels
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 08:04 PM   #3
Imgoodatwhatido

I have been using a PQ 4.7:1 for realy big cranks...but i think i would like the 5.4:1 better. but i do really like the PQ. and thats why i also like the carbonlite...its basically the same reel put on a slimfast diet!

Aside form that im wondering which reel will take less effort to take up the same amount of line. Im thinking the 6.4:1 will have more torque but i wanna hear it from someone smarter than me
Old 11-09-10, 08:31 PM   #4
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imgoodatwhatido View Post
i have been using a PQ 4.7:1 for realy big cranks...but i think i would like the 5.4:1 better. but i do really like the PQ. and thats why i also like the carbonlite...its basically the same reel put on a slimfast diet!

Aside form that im wondering which reel will take less effort to take up the same amount of line. Im thinking the 6.4:1 will have more torque but i wanna hear it from someone smarter than me
For your large deep diving cranks I'd stay with the 4.7:1 reel. I switched from a 5.4:1 Abu casting reel to the 4.7:1 BPS David Frittz reel for my large cranks like the DT16 and DD22's. It made a BIG difference! The 4.7:1 does a much better job and isn't nearly as tiring on my wrists. My 5.4:1 is now my medium size crankbait reel.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 08:52 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
i have been using a PQ 4.7:1 for realy big cranks...but i think i would like the 5.4:1 better. but i do really like the PQ. and thats why i also like the carbonlite...its basically the same reel put on a slimfast diet!

As gear ratio gets lower you gain torque and lose R.P.T. revolutions per turn, notice I did not say inches per turn, because even if your spool is turning less revolutions per handle rotation, the diameter of the spool can make up the difference. This is also inversely true, as gear ratio gets higher you lose torque and gain R.P.T. Typically as gear ratios get higher you will have a higher I.P.T. but not always because of spool design.

If two reels both have an equal I.P.T. the one with the lower gear ratio will take up the line more easily.

Last edited by Tavery5; 11-09-10 at 09:17 PM. Reason: addition
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 08:55 PM   #6
DVT Mike

IPT is a function of gear ratio, and spool diameter (including line). Be sure both spools are full when comparing. IPT is probably a more meaningful spec, but is not always available. You can calculate IPT (of a full spool) (spool diameter x 3.14)x gear ratio.
Old 11-09-10, 09:21 PM   #7
Imgoodatwhatido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
As gear ratio gets lower you gain torque and lose R.P.T. revolutions per turn, notice I did not say inches per turn, because even if your spool is turning less revolutions per handle rotation, the diameter of the spool can make up the difference. This is also inversely true, as gear ratio gets higher you lose torque and gain R.P.T. Typically as gear ratios get higher you will have a higher I.P.T. but not always because of spool design.

If two reels both have an equal I.P.T. the one with the lower gear ratio will take up the line more easily.

thats what i was thinkin but i wasnt for sure...so in other words a 6.4:1 with 29 IPT will be more efficient than a 7.1:1 with 29 IPT?
Old 11-09-10, 09:27 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
thats what i was thinkin but i wasnt for sure...so in other words a 6.4:1 with 29 IPT will be more efficient than a 7.1:1 with 29 IPT?
You have a greater mechanical advantage with the 6.4:1 ratio reel. There is one other factor that can come into play with reels. Handle length, while handle length never effects IPT, it does give you another advantage in the form of leverage. So a 6.4:1 with a shorter handle and 7.1:1 with a longer handle can effectively feel same.

Just some things to think about.
Old 11-09-10, 10:05 PM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Hello folks. Im really anal when it comes to my tackle. I fish at least one tournament a week and sometimes 2 a week in the summer. I rounded up different technique specific rods an reels to my liking. I have found that using the same reels in different ratios is more comfortable to me. Now im not a rich man by any means and i have been using Quantum reels, mostly the code aviso and kvd signature series. the problem i have with the code and the KVD's is that the magnetic control only has a free, 3,6,and 9 setting. I find at times this isnt as adjustable as i would like for them to be so I am on the Hunt for ONE series of reels that offers ALL of the popular gear ratios. I have somewhat settled on the carbonlite an the pro qualifier reels from BPS. They are basically the same reel with the exception of the carbonlite having a different handle. Other than that they have the same frame and layout.

SO heres my question. The carbonlite only comes in a 6:1 and i prefer a 7:1. My Quantums 7:1 takes up 31" per turn of the handle whereas the PQ in the same ratio takes up 29". AT THE SAME TIME the carbonlite is a 6.4:1 and it ALSO takes up 29" the same as the 7.1:1 PQ...what gives?
The add for the Carbon-Lite on the Bass Pro site is incorrect, the Carbon-Lite actually is a 26 IPT reel. If you check them out at the store, ask to look at the documentation that comes with the reel.
Old 11-10-10, 12:56 AM   #10
Imgoodatwhatido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
The add for the Carbon-Lite on the Bass Pro site is incorrect, the Carbon-Lite actually is a 26 IPT reel. If you check them out at the store, ask to look at the documentation that comes with the reel.

Awesome, so i been racking my brain over a mistake made by BPS! LOL thats my luck. Looks like in the near future ill be transplanting the guts from a PQ into a carbonlite.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.