Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-07, 08:31 PM   #1
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod and reel questions

I think I have decided to go with the Berkley Lightning rod and I think I will get the 6'M rod. Does tha sound good? Also,what is the best spinning reel for the money.
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 09:03 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good rod. I don't throw spinning gear all that much, but when I do I like a Shimano Symetere. Not real inexpensive but not high $$$ either.
Old 05-22-07, 11:03 PM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I think I have decided to go with the Berkley Lightning rod and I think I will get the 6'M rod. Does tha sound good? Also,what is the best spinning reel for the money.
Austin,
What are you planning to use the rig FOR? That best determines choice of length, power, and action. No combo will do all things at all times. Attempting to find one that does leads to owning several feet of disappointment. Not that you need to fall for the "Technique Specific" sales talks, but each type of rod usually does one or two things beautifully, a couple more things decently, and that's it.
As for reels...Since casting distance and accuracy with a spinning reel are not dependant on overcoming the inertia of a baitcaster's spool, you needn't spend the farm on a reel that advertises a dozen ball or roller bearings. Four to six will be fine.
Your main concern with a spin reel is drag power AND smoothness, bail function, and durability. Since these things are "hanging out in the breeze" underneath the rod, they are more exposed to mishap.
I mostly use casting rigs, but do a fair amount of my work with spin gear too. For instance, I throw my 5-6" Senko-type lures with a 7'M spin rod and a 3000-size Quantum reel. I also might toss a tandem fluke rig or even a T-rigged 4" Tiki Stik or other Senko-type with a med/med-light spin rod, usually 6.5 to 7' long, with a 2000-size spin reel, again, a Quantum.
Why Quantum? Well, y'see, one of the banes of a spinning reel user's existence is "Bail failure". This is usually due to one, or a combination of, three things; Bent bail...Bail spring failure...or dirt/crud.
Well, the dirt and crud are YOUR responsibility, but Quantum offers pretty much foolproof protection against the other two. The upper tier of Quantum spin reels offer a titanium bail that is the most protection you can get from bail failure due to warping/bending. Then, the spring problem is eliminated by use of a magnetic bail system...Great stuff! Foolproof too.
Check the Quantum website or other sources for details. You can get one with that technology for under one hundred bux.
So far as durability goes, well, ANYTHING that dangles is in danger, and a spin reel, well...dangles. Many of the cheaper reels have frames made of graphite...vulnerable. I prefer cast aluminum frames but they too are at risk.
It's all too easy to snap that skinny foot that runs from the reel seat to the gearcase. Be careful.
Extra spools...one can order extra spools for the better reels. Quantum offers them and they are not too pricey. You should always have a spare spool AND the retaining "Nut" at hand, loaded with the appropriate line.
Line...braid works well on spin reels. I use that, with a fluoro leader, on the two rigs I mentioned above.
Avoid the graphite spools,, especially if you use braid, and always check ANY spool frequently for rough spots or burring on the rim.

Well, that oughta get you started.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 04:59 PM   #4
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

I just got a Berkley Lightning rod today.I got the 6' M action spinning.I will be fishing from the bank most of the time,but every now and then I will be on a boat.I just got the plain lightning rod,and it is not a special lightning rod series,will that work?Also,Is a Mitchell reel any good? Thanks for posting, guys
Old 05-24-07, 03:00 AM   #5
islandbass

That should be an okay reel, but you might want to consider the right sized abu Garcia cardinal or if available, the Rapala Spinning reels like a size 20 Sxi6. They're all in the $30.00 price point. Congrats and good luck!
Old 05-24-07, 03:09 AM   #6
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I just got a Berkley Lightning rod today.I got the 6' M action spinning.I will be fishing from the bank most of the time,but every now and then I will be on a boat.I just got the plain lightning rod,and it is not a special lightning rod series,will that work?Also,Is a Mitchell reel any good? Thanks for posting, guys
Austin,

Not to be a you-know-what, but a thirty dollar reel is just that...a thirty dollar reel.
Save up and get one of the upper-mid Quantums with the technology I described. You'll only have to do it once.
The rod is fine, but if you DO decide to upgrade later, you'll already have the upgraded reel.

FR
Old 05-26-07, 11:55 AM   #7
Sapper364
BassFishin.Com Member

I think FlyRod has you covered, sound advice there. Buy the best reel you can, a poor reel can turn a great fishing trip into a nighmare. I don't fish spinning gear much but I'll tell you $300 worth of replacing failing reels won't out last a $150 dependable one.
Old 05-26-07, 03:17 PM   #8
FlyRod

HEY!!!! Austin!!!

Will you at least LOOK at this one?...under 100 bux!

http://www.quantumfishing.com/fwreel..._spinning.html

My last, absolute LAST, word on the subject.
Sapper, God knows we tried.

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 05-27-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-02-07, 12:21 PM   #9
Austin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default plans changed

Okay,plans have changed.I got a Bass Pro Shops Bionic casting reel,so I am going to take my Lightning Rod back and exchange it for a casting rod 6'6.Should I get medium or medium heavy?I will be fishing from the bank a lot of the time.I will probably exchange it tonight so hurry.
Old 06-03-07, 05:28 AM   #10
ken kinser
BassFishin.Com Member

Berkely lightin rod with mitchell 308 is a great combo,
ken kinser is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.