Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-07, 06:28 PM   #1
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2
Default trailer hook stay

If you don't like the rubber I have found this to work incredible. Heatshrink tubing. You can get it from any hardware store in tubes that are various sizes. Take your trailer hook and size it to the tubing, then cut enough to fit over the eye of the trailer hook ( trailer hooks eyes are generally big.) Then take a lighter (works better than a match) and place it about 3 inches under the eye with the heatshrink. The tubing will conform to the trailer hook and then let it cool ( if you heat it too much it will melt, so pay attention to the heatshrink and rotate the hook eye for better results.). Slip the trailor hook over the intended hook and it will not move. To remove it you may have to cut it off or re-heat the heatshrink until it melts. I wanted to send this to Bassmaster mag but thought about you guys first...
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-07, 09:55 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good idea in theory, but there is a problem. When using a trailer hook like that with anything over the eye the hooks, at least in my exerience, has a bad hadit of pointing off at an angle rather than running true behind the main hook. I prefer a free swinging hook that will run straight behind the bait. I use a hole punch on a plastic milk jug and use one of the disks to keep the trailer on the main hook.

Not trying to shoot you down-just passing on my experience.
Old 06-03-07, 08:12 PM   #3
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm sure that's an excellent idea for those who prefer to fish with fixed-position trailer hooks, but like Reb, I also prefer to allow my trailer hooks to swing freely.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 06:05 AM   #4
Skeeter
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My thing would be the fixed hook may slow down the wobble some in the crankbait. That may be what your lookin for some days, maybe not. It just seems the fixed hook would create resistance on the rear hook causing less wobble?

Just my .02

Skeeter
Skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 02:26 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

skeeter, i think they are talking about using a trailer hook on a spinnerbait or a buzzbait.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.