Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-09, 10:15 AM   #1
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cakalaki_girl
Default Do these tips work?

They have this spray at walmart for your line that is supposed to make you cast further. Does it work?

Also, what do ya'll think about the stuff that you dump in the water to attract fish? My friend wanted to buy some. A man we met at the river told us he ties cheap canned dog food with holes poked in the can inside pantyhose, to attract catfish.
Old 05-26-09, 10:29 AM   #2
Willvdh1
BassFishin.Com Member

Your fishing for catfish?
Willvdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 10:39 AM   #3
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Among other things. We were planning a trip to fish for them.
Old 05-26-09, 10:57 AM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There are several different brands of line conditioner spray that help your line. Do you remember what kind you saw? If you can name the brand, maybe somebody on here will be able to tell you more about it. The only one I've tried is KVD Line Conditioner, it was recommended by several people on this site, it seems to work for me.
I don't have much experience with catfish, but either nightcrawlers (big worms), cut bait, or live goldfish have worked in the past. Fish the nightcrawlers on the bottom, or under a bobber if you don't mind catching those bluegill/bream/sunfish we've already talked about.
Old 05-26-09, 02:13 PM   #5
odinbassgod
BassFishin.Com Member

I have went after cat fish for over 10 years now. the best thing i can tell u is to have a heavy rod with at least 50lb braid. also a very good at lease in the river i fish for them in is chicken livers. also try crawlers and also belive it or not they love corn.
Old 05-26-09, 03:17 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

chances are since it was at wal-mart the line conditioner you saw was called reel magic. reel magic is ok stuff but kvd line and lure conditioner does the same thing only a lot better.
Old 05-26-09, 06:26 PM   #7
bamabassman

c-rig hit it on the nails head. wally world brand is REEL MAGIC. KVD's is much better. i have both. and about the catfishing, yes you take a tater or berlap sack or any mesh sack. get the cheapest brand of dog food in a can. puch a bunch of holes in the cans, put em in the sack. tie a long rope to the sack. and throw it out as far as you can cast. then cast out your lines and wait. the cats will come. just be ready for em. it'll wear out your arm in no time. remeber the panty hose trick to hold your chicken livers too.
Old 05-26-09, 10:19 PM   #8
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys. Im 99% sure I cant catfish with my current reel. It's thin and almost 7 feet. It's an ugly stick.
Old 05-26-09, 10:27 PM   #9
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ugly sticks are strong rods for cats it would be good
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-09, 10:36 PM   #10
bamabassman

ugly stick is a GREAT cat rod. ugly as all get out,haha, but a good rod none the less for starters. i use the cherrywood andlighting rods as well as the wally world ABU TOURNEY ROS. but i have recieved a couple of "new" rods from a good friend tha ti am using now. saving up some muhla for a new reel to go with em. the reels i have now aren't permanant for these rods.
Old 05-28-09, 08:03 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Catfish love just about anything stinky (no offense Capt. Mike). At least channels and flatheads do.

I probably shouldn't be posting this, but it is the God's honest truth. I doubted it myself, until I caught one myself this way. Now I would never ever do this again, much less recommend anyone else do it. Our waters are polluted enough as it is. But as God is my witness, you can catch catfish on a bare hook if you spray it with WD-40. Like I said, please don't try it, but I've never lied to you before.
Old 05-28-09, 09:07 PM   #12
cakalaki_girl
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

umm... I dont see why that would work. You said they like stinky stuff. WD-40 smells like heaven in a can. If there was a WD-40 air frehsener... I'd buy it.
Old 05-28-09, 10:21 PM   #13
bamabassman

hahahaha, i LIKE this girl. ma'am.......... you already fit right in with this crowd.
Old 08-06-09, 04:22 AM   #14
wargoth

wd-40 is produced with fish oils, that is why fish like it, and prolly also why we all like the way it scents too
Old 08-06-09, 08:03 AM   #15
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

*ears perk up*..Somebody mention WD-40? I don't doubt it would catch catfish,it's good for everything else.Everything works better with WD-40.With a can of WD and a roll of ducktape you can conquer the world.I'd give it a shot.Spray the chicken livers with it.
The KVD line conditioner works better than reel magic or WD-40.
Old 08-06-09, 04:08 PM   #16
WaffleJaw

straight from wikipedia.....i was curious about the fish oil.....bummer!..i was hoping it to be true

Formulation

WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented in order to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

* 50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
* 25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
* 15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
* 10-%: Inert ingredients

The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

* 60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
* 1-5%: Carbon dioxide

It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[3]
Old 08-06-09, 08:19 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Good read, Waffle. One more page of "trivia that chicks don't care about" for the archive in my head.
Old 08-07-09, 10:59 AM   #18
zooker

reel majic will work on nearly everything on the boat... kvd spray works on fishline and thats about all it does.. i have several cans of reel majic in my boat..

zooker
Old 08-07-09, 04:28 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
reel majic will work on nearly everything on the boat... kvd spray works on fishline and thats about all it does.. i have several cans of reel majic in my boat..

zooker
i second reel magic.....i havent used the kvd stuff and ill try it out....but jimmy houston sold me on it when im watching him spray everything from line,to fish finders ,to raw chicken........good stuff
Old 08-07-09, 06:45 PM   #20
Bassboss

Yes! All that stuff works!

The dog food trick works great for cats! I also take dry cat food and wet dog food, mix it up and put it in a sock, than hang it over the boat/dock/where ever you're fishing. That gets 'em comin'!

Reel magic works, but KVD line and lure is better, but it works nonetheless!
Old 08-08-09, 06:28 AM   #21
DonaldBreland

You dont have to throw 7 thousand miles to catch a catfish. Normally what you are trying to do is fish with a stinky bait on the bottom. I would suggest that you take chicken livers and put them in panty hose for about 12 to 24hours and let them get smelly and rotten. Then take the bait out of the panty hose and that will be your bait to fish with. Then I would take and place more livers in the panty hose and throw them with a string into the water with rocks in it. use the string to bring it back in after fishing lol. The smell is what brings the catfish in. They will come to you so you dont have to throw a long distance. I live in south carolina and if you notice in our rivers you will see set lines on trees. Well they are next to the bank. Catfish get into hole next to the bank so in all reality you dont have to throw out that far. Hope I helped.
Old 08-08-09, 12:52 PM   #22
Backwater Charlie

You don't need a big sturdy rod for catfish. I fish for catfish frequently and I use some of my heavier bass equipment. A good 7' medium-action rod is what I prefer, and a spinning reel. 12 or 14 lb. test is large enough. Small cats like the stinky stuff. Chicken livers, worms, raw chicken, dough baits, dog food, etc. Larger cats like the live/real stuff like cut shad, cut mackerel, cut bluegill, stuff like that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.