Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-09, 01:58 PM   #26
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Northern I would stick with mono for top water personally , braid should be fine for all of your other applications . the only thing i would suggest is if your are fishing were there is less vegetation or the water is really clear would be to tie a leader on fluorocarbon or mono which ever you want i would go fluorocarbon but thats just me . attach the leader via a uni to uni knot or the j knot .

Jim
Old 05-29-09, 02:31 PM   #27
NorthernAngler
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Jim!

I'll have to pick up a spool of mono and fluoro at my local shop. any suggestions on the length of the leader?

Thanks again.
NA
NorthernAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 03:12 PM   #28
Jim80

6 to 8 feet is thrown around lot and should do fine for ya I personally use fluorocarbon for all my set ups except top waters right now .

Jim
Old 05-30-09, 08:05 AM   #29
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernAngler View Post
Hello all, new here.

I was wondering, I just bought a 500yd spool of 50lb power pro Braid and was planning to put it on all four of my baitcast reels. I've recently read the line guide on this site and have started second guessing my plan to spool all my reels with said line. Now, my question to you knowledgeable dudes is, could I get away with all types of fishing with braided line, or is it really going to effect say top water plugs etc. ??

ps. I'm from Canada eh! and I fish a lake with Heavy vegetation. not sure if this matters but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance!
NA
Ya, I use braid for most my fishing! But when you're using cranks, I really like mono or flouro! I don't mind braid, but I like 17-25 mono better. You can even use braid for finesse fishing, just make sure to add a long flouro leader! I braid for superior to mono when you fish heavy vegetation, it has 0 stretch, great for horsing bass out of cover! Braid is fine for top waters, it just that you will get better hook sets with mono because of the stretch!
Old 05-30-09, 07:39 PM   #30
keithdog

I would say you use it in most situations depending on what your doing with it. I would never use it for fishing crankbaits. In my oppinion, you would rip the lure from too many bass with it. Mono is a much better crankbait line. It also would not make a very good surface bait line because braid sinks. And while I "might" use a 15-20 pound braid when fishing small finesse baits in some situations, I would think 50 pound would be way to heavy for that application.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 06:56 AM   #31
bassboy11
BassFishin.Com Member

there's lots you can go with but if you fishing spinners and topwaters and cranks then you should look into fishing braided line for it's strengh
bassboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-09, 09:26 AM   #32
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Thanks Jim!

I'll have to pick up a spool of mono and fluoro at my local shop. any suggestions on the length of the leader?

Thanks again.
NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
6 to 8 feet is thrown around lot and should do fine for ya I personally use fluorocarbon for all my set ups except top waters right now .

Jim
If you're using a leader this long, make sure you tie a know that's going to go through you're guides easily. I use the Uni to Uni knot. But Personally, I prefer a 2-3ft leader. I don't really know why other than it keeps the knot out of the guides most of the time, but I do. And I lean towards 3 since it'll give me some retie room before I have to put on another leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboy11 View Post
there's lots you can go with but if you fishing spinners and topwaters and cranks then you should look into fishing braided line for it's strengh
I have to disagree here. For topwaters, unless it's frogs, I always use Mono. I use 12-17lb test, with 14lb being the norm.

For spinnerbaits, I've used braided line, but prefer a fluoro or copolymer. I've found that the extreme sensitivity and no stretch of braid, caused my to set the hook too fast and pull the spinnerbait away from the fish.

For cranks, I like mono and not braid for the same reason I don't like braid for spinnerbaits. I am thinking of switching to a copolymer on my crankbait rod though to give it a try.

BB
Old 06-27-09, 10:07 AM   #33
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

When it comes to mono, I'm all over the Trilene XL Smooth Casting
Old 06-27-09, 02:08 PM   #34
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you're using a leader this long, make sure you tie a know that's going to go through you're guides easily. I use the Uni to Uni knot. But Personally, I prefer a 2-3ft leader. I don't really know why other than it keeps the knot out of the guides most of the time, but I do. And I lean towards 3 since it'll give me some retie room before I have to put on another leader.

I have to disagree here. For topwaters, unless it's frogs, I always use Mono. I use 12-17lb test, with 14lb being the norm.

For spinnerbaits, I've used braided line, but prefer a fluoro or copolymer. I've found that the extreme sensitivity and no stretch of braid, caused my to set the hook too fast and pull the spinnerbait away from the fish.

For cranks, I like mono and not braid for the same reason I don't like braid for spinnerbaits. I am thinking of switching to a copolymer on my crankbait rod though to give it a try.

BB
Have to agree with BB up and down the board here, in fact, These are the main areas that I shy away from braid(as well as finesse). I also want to try copolymer for my cranks, I am thinking of silver thread, I have heard nothing but good and its cheep. (I know don't buy cheep, and I don't, but since its cheep and money won't be on the line I am gunna do it here pretty soon.)
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 04:15 PM   #35
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
Have to agree with BB up and down the board here, in fact, These are the main areas that I shy away from braid(as well as finesse). I also want to try copolymer for my cranks, I am thinking of silver thread, I have heard nothing but good and its cheep. (I know don't buy cheep, and I don't, but since its cheep and money won't be on the line I am gunna do it here pretty soon.)
Try pline fluoroclear for your copolymer needs it is tough as nails, it is the what I use besides triline 100% fluorocarbon .

Jim
Old 06-27-09, 04:33 PM   #36
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

powerpro is outdated.i use 65 pound test fireline braid.
Old 07-01-09, 03:59 PM   #37
Cavs1123

spinnerbait: 15 lb test
crankbait: 12 lb test
topwater: 15 lb test
Cavs1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-09, 12:08 PM   #38
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Mono is the only way to go with Top-waters. Fluorocarbon is good with crankbaits because it sinks faster. And spinnerbaits can be used with anything. If you're going to be using all three of those on one single rod then you have to use Mono. Because the Top-water lures will not float properly. In would go with 10 lb. Stren or Trilene XL.
Old 08-21-09, 03:09 PM   #39
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

when learning a bait caster don't worrie about line buy the cheapest 17 lb you can. you will become very filmier with picken and grinnen 17 pound is a good diameter which makes pulling a back lash out a bit easier.
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-09, 03:26 PM   #40
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishen green View Post
when learning a bait caster don't worrie about line buy the cheapest 17 lb you can. you will become very filmier with picken and grinnen 17 pound is a good diameter which makes pulling a back lash out a bit easier.
I second this...I tried some braid at the very first...didn't know what the heck I was doing...and promptly had to cut a bunch of it off of my reel. I put on some 17lb mono, and it was a totally different animal. Not what I use now, but it was a good learning aid.
Old 08-22-09, 01:26 PM   #41
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Hello all, new here.

I was wondering, I just bought a 500yd spool of 50lb power pro Braid and was planning to put it on all four of my baitcast reels. I've recently read the line guide on this site and have started second guessing my plan to spool all my reels with said line. Now, my question to you knowledgeable dudes is, could I get away with all types of fishing with braided line, or is it really going to effect say top water plugs etc. ??

ps. I'm from Canada eh! and I fish a lake with Heavy vegetation. not sure if this matters but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance!
NA
50 lb. braid??? For top-waters anything other than mono isn't going to work. I think you should have bought a 500 yard spool of 12 lb. MONO instead. The 50 lb. braid will work nice for top-water frogs in the lillypads though!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.