Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-09, 02:31 PM   #1
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Rod and Reel Question

Hi guys im wondering what i should rig this rod and reel up with. I have a Shimano Calcutta 200b 6:0:1 on a Falcon Cara T7 All around casting rod 6"6 medium heavy fast tap. I have a Pfluguer Criterion 5:0:1 on a Ambass 6"6 medium action rod. And i have a Abu Garcia Black Max 6:2:1 on a Black Max rod 6"6 Medium Heavy. I am pretty new and recently bought the Calcutta 200b and Falcon. I plan on gradually as money allows getting better rods and reels than the other 2. Which i do enjoy the Pflueger alot as well. I am just curious as to what i should rig each set up with as it be a worm/crankbait/spinner bait etc. Also if any suggestions to maybe swap some reels around on Rods im open to ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks,Jerry
jdk426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 03:36 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk426 View Post

Shimano Calcutta 200b 6:0:1 on a Falcon Cara T7 I worms/or spinners

Pfluguer Criterion 5:0:1 crankbaits as the lower gear ratio really makes them wiggle

Garcia Black Max 6:2:1 Black Max rod 6"6 Medium Heavy. . spinnerbaits and such Thanks,Jerry
.............Jim
Old 08-09-09, 03:54 PM   #3
jdk426
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Jim. Ive been using the black max combo for my spinners/buzzbaits my pflueger for worms and my shimano for top water and crankbaits. So ill switch a few things around and give it a go. And thanks for the tip on the lower gear ratio makes them wiggle. Did not know that so its news to me. Appreciate it bud
jdk426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 06:30 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The lower gear ration doesn't exactly make them wiggle more, but it does make cranks easier to fish. Also, the M power rod you've got the plfueger on is better for cranks than the MH's. I think Jim's got it down perfect.

BB
Old 08-22-09, 01:34 PM   #5
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk426 View Post
I have a Shimano Calcutta 200b 6:0:1 on a Falcon Cara T7 All around casting rod 6"6 medium heavy fast tap. I have a Pfluguer Criterion 5:0:1 on a Ambass 6"6 medium action rod. And i have a Abu Garcia Black Max 6:2:1 on a Black Max rod 6"6 Medium Heavy.

Shimano Calcutta 200b & Falcon Cara T7 - Definitely a good rod for the heavier line fishing, such as jigs, Texas rigged plastics, big swim-baits, and big spinnerbaits.

Pflueger Criterion & Ambass rod - This reel will be good for the lighter stuff, 1/4 oz. spinnerbaits/crankbaits, smaller Texas rigged plastics, Senko's, stuff like that.

Abu Garcia Black Max combo - This is a pretty good all-around crankbait, soft plastic, spinnerbait, etc. combo.

None of the rods above do particularly good with top-waters. I prefer a 6' medium action rod for top-water fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.