Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-09, 09:53 AM   #1
BASSINPHOENIX
BassFishin.Com Member

Default solo or not solo

hey guys who fish solo or you rather have a backseater?seems like i do well when i go solo with my dog.i have full control of the boat,where or when to fish,i dont set the alarm clock coz im not worry about being late.the only concern i have is safety when going solo.seems i care too much how to position the boat whenever i have a backseater and also worrying about them if they having a good time or not.
BASSINPHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 09:55 AM   #2
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I don't have a boat, but to me, fishing is usually more enjoyable with a partner to converse with. Especially when the fishing is slow.
Old 07-23-09, 09:57 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I agree with Cranky. Why I may at times appear to have the social skills of a ball peen hammer, I like to have someone to whoop it up with when you catch a big one, or complain with when the fishing stinks.
Old 07-23-09, 12:53 PM   #4
zooker

i don't play well with others....i tend to be a loner..

zooker
Old 07-23-09, 02:37 PM   #5
BASSINPHOENIX
BassFishin.Com Member

i learned a lot from my backseater dont get me wrong because not all fisherman are the same,learned a lot of different techniques and share some laughs,but sometimes you just want to get away.
BASSINPHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 02:52 PM   #6
Rodz
BassFishin.Com Member

My 8yr. old grandson is my back seater. That's all that kid wants to do is fish. I can't imagine going with out him. He's a blast.
Rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 03:22 PM   #7
Bender

I fish alone most of the time. I guess that due to the fact since I don't have a job right now and just go whenever I feel like it, so every day.

I don't mind at all fishing with somebody but I do feel like I need to try to get them on fish. Also a couple guys I fish with are much more experienced than I am so I gladly let them run my boat, it is a welcome relief some days just to be able to concentrate on fishing without worrying about boat position, especially in all the wind we have had this year.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 03:22 PM   #8
rodman rat
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have alway had a partner, not so sure I would like fishing alone
rodman rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 04:06 PM   #9
sac

I prefer a buddy, it's just more fun. Bigfelk22 and I tear it up together all the time, it's just not the same without him.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 04:49 PM   #10
tpttooter946
BassFishin.Com Member

If your into the whole "finding yourself" aspect of fishing, as I am, I prefer to go solo. You fish where you want, when you want, and how long you want. You get to think about things and theres no competition...

I take my girlfriend fishing to spend quality time with her and put my concentration on the fishing on the backburner.
Old 07-23-09, 05:41 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

i fish a lot better when i am alone because i can focus more on the task at hand rather than talking or worrying about boat position. i also learn more because there are times when i can spend hours on one point or spot without a bite just learning all about the spot within the spot by graphing and dragging baits along the bottom. but when i am with a partner i feel obligated to put them on fish so i won't spend as much time studying a spot and more time running around trying to catch fish. i enjoy fishing alone as well as having a partner. my favorite would be my wife though, we have a great time together and she just lays back and relaxes a lot of the time so i can still spend hours learning a spot. she is no slouch with a rod and reel either so there is also a lot of time we spend fishing hard too.
Old 07-23-09, 06:22 PM   #12
keithdog

I almost always goit alone. I know this will sound selfish, but I don't have to haggle over where and how to fish. I can simply follow my instincts and go for it. I always catch more fish when I am alone. Most of the people I fish with, when I do, are not bass fisherman, so it's a bit of a stuggle. I'll be wanting to get nasty and pitch into heavy cover with my heavy action tackle and my partner will invariably prevent me from doing so because their main outfit is a 6 foot light action rod with a Zebco 33 and 6 pound test. No offense to Zebco users, I'm just saying most of the time, my fishing partners are totally inadaquatly prepared for real bass fishin. Plus, I fish out of a 12 foot jonboat, and with all the tackle I like to take it's vertually impossable unless I leave half my stuff at home. Now if I have a 17 foot plus bassboat with plenty of room, and a bass fisherman who understands the needs for bass fishin, I wouldn't mind so much.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 06:42 PM   #13
WTL

I know I am at the very least about twice as effective solo as I am with another angler. I am very conscientious with the TM so it does take away from concentration, but also I tend to have different ways I go about patterning and it seems to be disturbed when there is another brain in the boat.
Old 07-23-09, 06:51 PM   #14
bcklash

I like having someone to share the excitment with. I just love it when somebody on the boat catches a nice fish. I do go alone sometimes and enjoy it.
Old 07-23-09, 10:54 PM   #15
bamabassman

<<pleading the 5th.
Old 07-23-09, 10:55 PM   #16
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
<<pleading the 5th.
No guts--no glory.......
Old 07-24-09, 12:05 AM   #17
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Well me and my partner own the boat jointly so the only time I go out alone is when he is working or at college, but I like a partner I enjoy being the backseat boater and than ***** everytime he messes up boat position
Old 07-24-09, 12:27 AM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

It just depends for me and how I want to fish. If I plan on going for 4 or 5 hours, I like to go with some one. But if I plan on making a full day trip, I tend to go by myself. Not too many people are going to sit in a 12' boat for 8-10 hours. Plus I like to stand when I fish like that and it just can't happen with some one else in the boat. There are too many variables to have you dog paddling and looking for your stuff floating around the water.
Old 07-25-09, 05:07 PM   #19
Jim80

I usually go to the body of water with my dad and my brother but always find myself wandering off as to focus on how I am fishing

Jim
Old 07-25-09, 07:52 PM   #20
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

my mood determines how i fish also i dont know any serious bass fishermen from round here i like to take my father though. sometimes just better by my self i hope my little girl will love to fish as much as i do
Old 07-25-09, 08:52 PM   #21
Jim80

my oldest son is really starting to take to it my middle one not so much , so starting next weekend I am gonna start waking him up at 4:30am on saturday and taking on the weekend trips with my dad and my brother hopefully he will make it through the morning and have as much fun as we do , to say the least I am looking forward to him starting to fish with us every week .

Jim
Old 07-25-09, 09:00 PM   #22
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

i hear ya i cant wait till she can go and understand whats going on
Old 07-25-09, 10:33 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've shore fished by my self, but never from the boat alone. My dad's my fishing partner, and refuses to use the trolling motor most of the time. The majority of the time, I'm more focus on positioning the boat than fishing, especially since I'm not that good with the TM yet. I could definately see how much easier it would be by myself in the boat since I even concentrate on fishing more when I'm alone being boatless bank trash (lol, sort of).

BB
Old 07-25-09, 11:15 PM   #24
brushhog

Both, it kind of depends on my mood an opportunity, I'm a pretty introspective person and enjoy time fishing alone. But the thrill of fishing with others, especially when they are doing well, is equally enjoyable...
Old 07-27-09, 03:43 AM   #25
Stew

My kids are my "built in" fishing buddies but I also like to get away alone from time to time to fish and clear my mind and think, even if it's for just 30 minutes on my way home from work.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.